cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 98 Help

N/A

Windows 98 Help

Hi Everyone
When I go into HELP and pick a subject from the Index I get the dialogue box in a foreign language (looks like greek to me ) When I then click on display (Guessing what the greek means) the right hand answer box is is english ok.
Does anyone know how I can alter this to normal english?.
Don't ask me what I did to get it like this ?
Shockedops:

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Capitalisation of thread title removed, as it's akin to shouting.
And a stray list tag has been removed for you.]
8 REPLIES
N/A

Windows 98 Help

Chances are that the font used is missing (got deleted) and it has defaulted to something else.
Is it really greek, or just wierd characters Huh
N/A

Windows 98 Help

Thanks cqg
Don't think thats the answer though
\main problem is I don't know how to change it back !! :?
Regards
N/A

Windows 98 Help

still hoping for 1 of you clever geeks to tell me how to change the font on my help dialogue box. I'm sure someone out there knows how. See my original post. I feel stupid for not knowing how to do this myself !!!! Shockedops:
chino
Grafter

Windows 98 Help

firstly you must have the correct language installed if part of the help files are in english so there would no quick fix like altering a setting through regedit. For this i would ask somone who has windows 98 (or 98 SE if it is that vesion) and get them to search for *.hlp so that they can copy all the help files and then e-mail you them and then you would have to replace each file one by one (to make sure that go put the help files into the correct folders). It's not as bad as you think as i have just carried out a search on XP and all the help files only add upto 236 KB and this includes all office/norton/mirc ect software helpfiles.

cUnDaLl
N/A

Windows 98 Help

I'm sure you will all be interested in this. I found that the 'rogue' greek was in fact a font called SYMBOL. That caused me to try deleting the font. There were two, one was a true type font the other an 'A' type font. I deleted them both. they finished up in my recycle bin.
When I checked the windows98 help - Lo and Behold - the system was all back to normal. No 'Greek' language or greek characters.
So, having a sort of scientific turn of mind, I decided to try restore these fonts, both of them.
The result was a, the Help was still working fine, no greek characters etc!
However, It seems I should be satisfied that my computer system is OK and I can use the help system as usual. So, end of emergency. Quit whilst you are ahead!
Thanks to those of you who replied and tried to help (no pun intended)
N/A

Windows 98 Help

Chances are that the font used is missing (got deleted) and it has defaulted to something else.
Is it really greek, or just wierd characters Huh

As I mentioned earlier.
N/A

Windows 98 Help

windows 98 help : buy new computer.. bin windows 98.. use XP pro

^_^
chino
Grafter

Windows 98 Help

XP well......