cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP authority clarification

cannylad
Grafter

I read that users of XP will have to prove they have genuine software if they want to receive software updates.
I have desktop and laptop computers so will the registration number for XP be ok for both of my computers or should I have bought Win XP twice?

Cheers
Tynesider
6 REPLIES
N/A

XP and registration

Hi Tynsider,

Yes! this subject area can get very confusing even for IT professionals as well as for most ordinary home users,etc. What your asking I think confuses several different issues.

1) Product registration which includes a product key (a long number and letter i.e. alpha numeric combination) which identifies that specific copy of windows or winXP

2) Product activation via Microsoft or over the web which locks your version and copy of windows or XP to YOUR specific hardware.

3) Product or windows licensing issues, the long legal jargon when you install windows OS i.e. you have to agree to the license agreement. As I understand this you are entitled to install one fully clean copy of XP on your machine and allowed to make a backup copy of XP for restoration purposes but if you install XP with the same license or product key onto a second machine then technically you've now broken the EUA (end user agreement of the license). Technically you should buy a second EUA license for the second machine.

**However, you have to understand that Microsoft are NOT the police and its a question of personal feelings or personal integrity as to wheather you feel OK about installing a second copy of XP on another system.

**The updates are still free from MS update website but as of XP service pack 1 or above the software has a security checker and if you dont have a legal copy of windows XP the service pack wont install. or installation fails with a message politely telling you that you now require a license to run this copy of XP.

**So Yes! MS might well check EUA or licensing in future thats true but when is naother question, as of now I dont know when that will be.

Ivan
N/A

Yeah, pretty much what he said.

2 computers require 2 Windows product keys (basically to legal copies of windows)
Installing one copy on 2 pc's is, technically, illegal.
(Sorta like buying one road tax disc and using it in 2 cars).

You could always use Linux, which is usually free to download, or can be purchased, for a fraction of the price of windows, and installed on as many pc's as you like.

Having said this, it's probably not Microsofts biggest concern, they are probably more worried about people that copy the CD's and sell them on (by the truckload).
Still, doesn't make it right, just cuz it's a smaller scale.

Like cyteck said, it's really a matter of personal integrity (would go around shouting about it though Wink ).
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
I would have thought the XP would be registered to the person buying it, surely they don't expect you to buy a seperate disk for a laptop!
Anyway I suppose that goes for nearly every other bit of software, so you are expected to buy two of each...doubt if any one actually does tho.

Thanks
Tynesider
N/A

XP EUA Licenses

Hi Tynsider,

Yes! Microsoft would of course like you to register all your details with them if you buy a copy of XP and the recent arrival of product activation where XP is locked to your hardware takes this one step closer still.

**Of course Microsoft has used registred user details as part of its intense marketing stratergy inorder to sell its products too the public & business. Collecting user details via registration is a powerful tool of that there is no doubte.

Sadly Yes! you have to buy a second EUA license (i.e. a peice of paper) and a second number if you want to put the same copy of XP on your laptop. NOT a second disk as such or a second copy of the software but just a second EUA license as I understand it.

Ivan
N/A

I dont suppose the OEM 'licence only' is much cheaper is it? I get it for around £60 for home for the PCs I build. I have other PCs in my house wich are not yet on XP, and would like them to be (dont want to get into using the same key for multiple machines).

I personally have an MSDN-AA licence for XP pro on my own system, which is free because im a compsci student, and Microsoft want me to get 'hooked' so ill advise their products later, im assuming.

Thanks
Jarv
N/A

XP EUA etc

Hi Jarvis,

To be honest I'm abit rusty on Microsft licensing schemes now bye about 18mths and so MS could well have altered or amended or changed their lisencing scams Oooooop's schemes I should have said. Or is that a lisence to print money sir? But joking apart I know MS used to do educational or student licensing deals at lower costs for those users doing computing courses & those at college or university. I know OEM licensing deals for the likes of DELL or HP etc where extremely low due to sheer scale i.e. the number of computer boxes or units sold. Large corporations usually didnt get off MS licenses lighly though and had to paid the full MS wack on 1,000's of desktops. I dont know of any special deals for multiple PC's such as those on home or SOHO networks. So as far as I know its back to having to buy individual extra EUA license and I cannot even tell you how much there are? infact if you ever find out could you let me know as I would be interested to know myself.

Ivan :?