cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why should we give a flying ............

N/A

The hole in the ozone layer...just a little hole above the lil south pole yeah!!

WRONG!!

Ozone Hole as of 21st October 2006
10 REPLIES
N/A

Scary aint it. We dont really know or realise just what the damage really is until we sit down and really think about it or research it.

I have to admit im not 100% green myself, but I do try and do my bit. I have the house entirel;y fitted with energy efficient bulbs grade A, the fridge freezer and the other freezer are both grade A, the washing machine is grade A etc.

Other than this its the normal bits and bobs. The server is anything but though lol. and with a 550watt PSU, its gonna sup a little leccy.
shellsong
Grafter

Not 550W worth though-- probably more like 150-200W unless its really powermad! Wink (still you'd soon get knackered pedalling to power it! Tongue )
N/A

nah its not true power like an FSP but it does give me about 400-450. Burnt the last one out lol. Was running all the time and was working fine. Powered the server down and it wouldnt power up again. PSU was burnt out lol. It was only a 350watt.
N/A

Doh, my server cabinet consumes an average of around 7000w (If I stress a coupla servers out it gets to be a fair bit higher, esp the Oracle box.)

Then of course the AC uses a big old chunk of leccy trying to keep it cool.

Haven't added switches in etc yet either, and its all running 24/7

Bit of a blow really, I can't add much more without getting the leccy people to re-lay a fatter cable between our consumer unit and the substation.
Community Veteran

hmmm... Sally and James net.....
Community Veteran

@ robynfali

I'm reading a relevant book at the moment, by "James Lovelock" called "The revenge of gaia"

Very sobering!!!!

Your library prob' has it if you want a read.
Community Veteran

Well I'm doing my little bit for the environment. Smiley Everything not essential gets turned off at night.
TV, PCs + Router, Lights etc.
Saves me money as well Cool

Just think of all the PC's and TV's that are left on nationaly and add up that to get the power wasted. I heard somewhere the other day that it equates to two power stations running full time just to supply things left on standby etc.
shellsong
Grafter

What on earth have you got there, sallyandjames, several racks of bladeservers or are you using valves?

I can only lay claim to a wimpish 1334 MHz Athlon PC and an annoying Athlon 64 3400+ Acer laptop at present. I've just been checking the power usage of these items

PC (with 430W Seasonic PSU)-- 105-125W
19" Hansol monitor----------- 68W (3W standby)
Acer Aspire 1524WLMi--------- 35W (waiting for me to do something)

So in all I'm squandering 218W of precious resources at present although the room is slightly chilly despite this

Mind you I have thoughts along these lines occasionally http://alt-e.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_alt-e_archive.html
N/A

Ahem, I must apologise for my ambiguous post.

The server cabinet is only 'mine' in the sense that I am the only person who has access to it. It is actually owned by my employer (us IT types do get attached to our boxes of wires though... Wink )

Can't remember all the model numbers, (so not actually that attached to them after all :lol: ), but the most recent addition was a HP Proliant DL380 G4 with 4x 3600Mhz P4 Processors and 6GB of RAM. (A pretty sweet bit of kit, but not the prettiest by far!)
Community Veteran

I've just ordered two DL380s due to arrive tomorrow. Not quite as powerful as your one, but they will be added to a collection of 8 others though Smiley