cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why lie!!!!

N/A

Why lie!!!!

Just asked the help assistant why my dl speed is slow, reply is that i cant get faster than 2 meg dl, then how come when i first went onto 8 meg i had good 6 meg dl speeds, and now i cant. I did have good speeds for about a month, now its slow and constatly disconnecting. Not a happy bunny.... Cry

Moderators note by John (johnessex) All capitals title reduced to lower case. Please dont shout on the forums.
1 REPLY
prichardson
Grafter

Why lie!!!!

Ah, now what you have subsequently said here changes what the response would have been in your support reply.

For the best attention, this should have been one for the Broadband Help forum, rather than general chat.

In your support request, you only stated (until your latest message) about the reduced speeds. You had not mentioned the disconnections.

OK, first some standard blarb:
Max is a rate adaptive technology, which will operate at the fastest speeds your modem and exchange equipment feels is appropriate for your line.

Only were disconnections are seen will it reduce in speed.

The ISP (us in this case) cannot change the speed at which your line will syncronise at. This is a automated process based on the capabilities at the time of syncronisation (real time process).

As you are reporting the disconnections, this are highly likely the source of the problems.

Lines will disconnect because a high number of line errors, or the fact that something has changed that doesn't allow it to sustain that syncronisation rate.

Now time for some more standard stuff, bear with me:
The most common cause of these disconnections is the customers equipment. Be this your modem, cabling, filters (mainly the lack of, but sometimes poor or broken filters) and other devices such as phones, faxes, modems, ringers and quite often, Sky boxes.

More extreme items include central heating timers or thermostats, outflood floodlighting, street lighting.

Some of the more funny cases are electric fencing and the TV the elderly lady has across the road (though this one killed a whole streets broadband, they kindly got together and bought her a new one and solved their problems).

At this time of year, we see a very sudden increase in intermittant faults due to seasonal lighting. Not just your own, but the neighbours. This is mainly caused by cheaper non-complient imported power transformers used by them.

As you can guess, it is important to ensure this is not a local problem causing this. If it is a local one and you can solve it, you will instantly see an increase in the syncronisation rate, though it may take as long as 5 days for the line profile to catch up (as it needs to remain stable at that speed for that time).

Your very best bet to confirm the speeds possible include the following three tests.

1: Disconnect all devices from the line including phones, faxes, modems, ringers and sky boxes. Do not use a extension cable.

2: Plug your broadband modem into the master socket (the socket were your line enters the property in most cases).

You should test it to see if there are disconnections.

3: Although not always possible, it helps confirm the only remaining item within your control. To try an alternate modem on your own line, preferably in the above setup.

If your problems are gone with any of the above, something within your own setup is the cause. We cannot control this.

If the speed remains but the disconnections occur, there is likely nothing that can be done and whilst migration is your own decision, your only going to carry this over were a resolution will remain impossible.

However, if your phone line is suffering from quality problems (even when your modem is unplugged), you will be able to report this to your phone provider, which may be the source of the problems.

If the disconnections continue, then it is likely a line problem and you should report this on http://faults.plus.net/

Ensure you say your sync/link light is on and that you can connect. You will then get the dropping connection option.