cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does force9 bother with seperate servers?

N/A

They are hosted seperately for security mainly, because you get shell access to the CGI server.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Why does force9 bother with two servers, one for regular webspace and a cgi server for perl,php etc - I mean, it's a complete pain in the arse!

I can't keep any continuity in my webpages, and hosted domains don't link across. What would it take to convince the force9 admins to host CGI and regular webspace on the same server, like the rest of the planet.

Dan.
N/A

Does any one have any 'best suggestions' for working around this inconvenience?? [ short of moving or giving up Smiley ]

I have seen lots of people complain in the past, and I agree it is awkward, but if someone could perhaps provide an FAQ on the fact with several suggestions on how to make use of the situation then that would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a beginner myself and have not got around to trying to mix dynamic and static pages across the two servers... yet!

Perhaps this will be an ideal faq for the new usertools.f9.net.uk site

(i'll just check it now to make sure they dont give the answer already!)

Thanks

C.
N/A

Don't think theres anything on Usertools about it. I believe you can (unofficailly) use all your webspace on the CGI server.
N/A

That is true, but I seem to remember somewhere on F9 that CGI servers would not 'serve' up the files as quick as on the Webspace files, so performance may be an issue, particularly if everyone just dumped their entire sites over to CGI.

Of course, if everyone moved their websites over to CGI then we would not need the webspace area - and there would be no problem?

I understand that there are security issues that F9 wish to guard themselves against, and frankly the better the security has to be a good think (as long as it makes using the service impractical).

Thanks for your reply, Colin.

BTW, for those thinking of moving all files over to CGI you must set your domain to point to the CGI server and request F9 to 'fiddle' with something at their end - there is some info on this somewhere on F9 and I believe you can request this through raising a ticket. If someone could confirm this process...
N/A

If you follwo the Contact Us path Technical Support -> Domain Names -> Point my domain name webspace to the CGI Server -> The option you want its all explained. There is an upgrade to the CGI server coming along soon (within the next week or so) that should speed it up.
N/A

Now that the CGI platform has been upgraded I am considering pointing my domains to the CGI server as indicated and the Raise a Ticket wizard gives very good account of what I must do to achieve this.

However I have two domains hosted under my account and I am sure I read that the New CGI Platform would allow for each to point to a seperate directory under my CGI account. Has anyone done this or can anyone tell me how to set this up? Is a a raise a ticket job or is there something I can set in CGI / MyDomains that I have missed.

Regards

C.
N/A

Could I just say this:
FTP-ing into the web-space is a possibility when you're outside of a f9 connection. (So, when I'm on my OC, not provided by f9, I can use ftp to connect to the web space on the homepages server).

I can't do the same for the cgi server, and although it is a pain, I shouldn't be able to for security. If the two servers were joined together then I'd have to upload my web stuff by dial-up, which would be extremely inconvenient. Sad (especially as with my Force9 Premier account we get disconnected every 2 hrs)
N/A

That is a very good point about not being able to update the CGI webspace unless dialled in on a F9 account.

Thank you!