cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to login?

N/A

Why do I have to login?

Hi everybody,

I thought that ADSL/broadband was supposed to be an always on connection. If this is the case then why do I have to login from dial-up networking like a normal modem connection. Is there anyway to use f9 broadband so it is ALWAYS connected.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,

Jon
5 REPLIES
N/A

Logging in

Hi,
I think ADSL can be abit confusing as a form of technology, I tend to think of broadband or ADSL as sitting between dial-up modems (i.e. the 56K type connections) on the one hand and more common business type local area networking (LANS) which are of course far more permanent in nature on the other.

ADSL is a technology that forms an "ALMOST" always on connection and as such it can be put up and then torn down as required. The connection that is formed (session) is only semi permanent but obviously is longer lasting and more durable that a normal 56K modem connection.

The reason that you have to configure your computer to use a dial-up networking is that this is just how windows needs to form/create the connection itself (yes! I could go into all the technical details but do you really want all that ?) and how it needs to make the connection to the server/s at F9.

Secondly the dial-up (DUN) networking aspect of setting up the connection session allows the user/connection to be authenticated (validated) by the server (thats why we still need a username & password).

Ivan
N/A

Why do I have to login?

Thanks for the response,

So is there no way to set up an alternative method for login onto the network? The reason being is because when I connect it takes alomost as long to authenticate me as a normal dial-up connection does.

Cheers
N/A

Why do I have to login?

Use a router!
N/A

ADSL Authentication

Hi dawsons5,

Ah! yes it might be abit of a pain to login as before but once your logged in your connection durability is far far longer than a normal dialup connection.

The only other broadband method you could choose might be to use a router but this is technically more complex to install, configure and does too some degree depend on what you want to use it for? Routers for ADSL are becoming far more popular and start at a reasonable price for home/homeoffice use upto extremely expensive extremely complex devices.

**Even if you did purchase a router for ADSL connectivity that you still be required to use some form of authentication (i.e. username & password) to connect to your ISP services. Just because you use a router doesnt mean you become exempt from authentication. You would still be required by the ISP to prove your online ID inorder to connect to various services. I would be most suprised if you could use an ethernet connected router without ANY form of authentication.

**Authentication is an inherant part of connectivity these days at all levels of use, its just build into our network infrastructures & services. Unless someone else knows differently from me and my experience?

Ivan
Ianwild
Grafter

Why do I have to login?

The main point for me about using a router is simply that it stays online all the time. My router has an uptime of 144 days now and being networked my Internet connection is there when I need it.

Give us a shout if you want to do down that route and I will point you in the direction of some helpful websites.

Regards,

Ian