cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did Britain fall behind in the broadband race?

Trebor
Grafter

Interesting article from yesterdays Times Cheesy

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,170-1818783,00.html
6 REPLIES
N/A

Could have told you the two letter answer to that one before I read tha article, but very interesting.

Cheers for the link.
N/A

Hello,

That's an easy answer to give, in a word BT. BT have stranglehold on all the most vital internet links and years and years later they are only just being literally forced by legislation to give up control of the local loop (last mile). BT have quite literally prevented any other competitors setting up fast or faster internet services that happen to travel over BT copper.

BT have in effect held back the growth of rich internet services in the UK, Yes! we are as usual several years behined other european countries in this repect. Take a look at France and Paris they have 8MB's, plus phone calls,email services,webspace etc,etc & all that for around 15 euros (about £10.66) per month (francetelcom), Germany too, also South Korea made meg investment in the future of their internet services and its now paying back hansomely. Meanwhile in snail pace ripp off britain we only have 2MB and be glad you can even get that!!

Ivan
N/A

Hi

And when you think we sold them to the private sector to encourage competition or so they said...there profits would have paid for plenty other things....
N/A

aye .. ivan is tottaly correct !

a perfect example is ISDN services - BT were offering ISDN services to the private user (that is a user in his own home) since 1976, but was never actually sold as a public service until 1990. Thats 16 years !

I remembered going round my friends house, who was a bt engineer at the time, and he had 2 isdn lines into his house connecting to the very young internet - and he was getting stupid transfer rates at 20k/sec !! I was amazed.

I asked him what line he had, and he said ISDN, he had it in there for 8 years, and this was in 1993.
N/A

its just a shame that everyone who got ISDN couldnt have ADSL until they paid for their line to get converted back to analogue!
N/A

look at when the internet became mainstream in the UK - early 90's.

I was playing duke nukem 3d on Kali back then - doing quite well too. I was talking to a guy in sweeden who was on about downloading the demo of this great game called Quake, which was about 34 meg in size I think. I said I couldnt do that as it would take me a week on modem - he downloaded it within seconds on his 2 meg line :/

Saying that, we are trying to push as much as we can out of our copper infrastructure. You cant deliver that much out of copper, its going to get to about 16meg max and will have to start looking at fibre solutions to your door.