cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Here Watched The Last Night Of The Proms?

Community Veteran

What did you think of it? I thought it was pretty good myself (though maybe a bit much opera - I can't say I'm a huge fan of that). The atmosphere inside that hall during the last half hour must have been great!

Oh, and just out of curiosity, which piece by Fauré did they play? 'Cause I managed to miss the first fourty five minutes or so...

Thomas
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Saw some of it Thomas between other tasks :x

I usualy go to the last night of the Proms at Tatton Park but this year it's a bit close to my sailing holiday Cry

Can't enlighten you on the music question though as I missed large bits of the program
N/A

Well, I've been following the Proms quite closely this season, and although there are those who spurn the Last Night, I've got back into the habit of watching it, having not taken too much notice of it a few years back.

I'm not sure if I'd class tonight's as one of the best Last Nights, but I preferred it to last year's which I thought was a bit of an anti climax. But I preferred last year's Sea Songs -- I thought the traditional tunes from Wales, Ireland and Scotland which were interpolated last year were so well-played by the orchestra; this year's choral additions were not as good, I thought. And I found some of the Prommers' antics, which they chose to show on screen, rather contrived: the fake weeping, for example. To think they go through this act every year, and don't seem to tire of it I find quite mind boggling!

The Fauré piece in the first part was his Pavane in which the orchestra was joined by the two choral groups. According to the announcer, this was used by the BBC in 1998 as the theme tune for its Football World Cup programmes.
Community Veteran

Ok, thanks task. I'm not too bothered about missing Pavane - I was wondering if it had been something really nice like Cantique de Jean Racine. Smiley

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

The Last Night is the only bit I watch, although in saying that I missed most of it up until they started doing "Land of Hope and Glory" (or whatever its proper name is)
Community Veteran

You're thinking of Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance March No.1. Tongue

Thomas
csogilvie
Grafter

Yes - Although "Land of Hope and Glory" is easier to type Wink
Community Veteran

Heh. Cheesy

Thomas