cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tv>dvd recorder

Tiger50
Grafter

Which tv>dvd recorder

I looking to buy a dvd recorder to replace our video and existing dvd player.

There are sooooooooo many on offer..........

Has anyone got one, or could give advice on a good one...

I have been looking at the Sony rdrgx700...

I would be greatfull for any advice or suggestions...........

Thanks
9 REPLIES
chino
Grafter

Which tv>dvd recorder

It's a bit too soon to buy one now... (even though i do have one).

You need to look for a DVD recorder which you can record on DVD+RW / DVD+R / DVD-RW/ DVD-R/ DVDRAM (if you can get it) and also a HD recorder...

This is for many reaons though for the features above i don't think you can get this for less than £650. No one has confirmed on which is going to be the norm so it must write on DVD+and -.

Mark
Community Veteran

Which tv>dvd recorder

I'd also like to get one at some point, but im waiting for dual layer ones to become the norm.
Community Veteran

Which tv>dvd recorder

In response to Mark's comment, it is true that nothing has become the norm yet, though I think I would say that there are more + DVD devices on the market than - ones (that is, excluding the dual format ones). However, this doesn't really matter as, ideally, for a TV DVD recorder you want one that records to DVD-RAM. The discs are expensive, however, they offer one feature that you generally can't get with the other types, and that is that you can record something to disk while watching the thing you're recording - so basically, you can pause live TV, go away, come back in ten minutes, and start watching from where you left off even while the DVD recorder is still recording the end of that programme.

Thomas
chino
Grafter

Which tv>dvd recorder

Yep though if you do want to get one no matter which one you will get it will be the wrong one as it normally is for me (law of of $%), so the one i got was just a cheapy thats plays all format (minus dvd-ram) though will only write on dvd+r.

Mark
Tiger50
Grafter

Which tv>dvd recorder

Can I ask which one you have then Mark?

Regards
chino
Grafter

Which tv>dvd recorder

I got a "MATSUI DVDR100" though if i was going to buy one now i would get "Philips DVDR70" the cheapest one i have found so far is from tesco:
http://www.tesco.com/electrical/product.aspx?R=7954263

Mark
N/A

Which tv>dvd recorder

I have a Panasonic DMR-E95HEBS, now available for around £400 (e.g. from http://www.krishav.co.uk/store/prodView.asp?idProduct=975&idCategory=500).

It has a 160GB HD and will also record on DVD-R and DVD-RAM. The HD is useful for time shifting and for editing out adverts before burning to DVD, the RAM discs (I have some of the ones in a caddy) can be written and rewritten at least 1000 times according to Panasonic, so provide a half way stage between the HD and DVD-R.

I don't have any interest in DVD+R since I use Apple Mac computers which use the DVD-R format. I also use Eyetv which allows me to record Freeview TV on to the Macintosh HD and edit and burn from there.

The Panasonic has an analogue tuner so it might be worthwhile hanging fire until DVD recorders come out with the ability to record Freeview without going through a set top box, hence being able to record one programme whilst watching another.

In use the Panasonic is excellent with good on screen menus and gives excellent results at "standard quality" giving 2 hours playing time per DVD, "long Play" doubles that time for a barely discernable loss in quality.

The Sony recorders have had very good write ups in What HI-Fi, but when I was buying I came across the comment that editing was much easier on the Panasonics so chose them instead. One of my main reasons for buying was to be able to watch films without adverts, so the editnig is very important for me.

Steve
Tiger50
Grafter

Which tv>dvd recorder

Hi thanks for the information, I will look into it over the weekend.

Many thanks

Ray
N/A

Which tv>dvd recorder

Hi,
An alternative to a HDR with DVD writer is a device with both DVD and old-fashioned videotape recorder. I bought one of these a couple of months ago when our old video recorder went bust. We have accumulated about a hundred tapes over the years - some bought, some home recorded. We didn't want to say goodbye to all these, so we opted for the Panasonic DMR-E75V. Cost about £400, and it's been fantastic.
We can play and record on videotapes. We can record onto DVD-R and also DVD-RAM (with all the advantages of re-write and time-slip). What's more, I'm slowly converting all my collection of home-recorded videos to DVD recordings, as the machine allows dubbing from one type of recording to the other. (No, it doesn't allow copying of commercial DVDs to tape - that would be too easy!).
Sorry to sound like an advert for this device, but I think it's the the ideal solution for people who want to get into DVD recording but also have a lot of old videotapes they still want to watch or archive.

Sam