cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best value but reliable ISP

N/A

I have been trying to find the best ISP for my nephew. As he is a big downloader but does not care about speed he decided on AOL as they seem to be the only ISP who do not have a FUP or monthly allowance.

The reliability problems have hit me hard today, I have no confidence in Plusnet have the desire or capability to fix it so I think it is time to move on. I do this with regret but enough is enough.

I don't want to pay silly prices like at ZEN, I don't think I need an unlimited service but I don't want a silly FUP like Tiscali that triggers if you download a service pack.

Talk Talk is a front runner for Value and BT for reliability aleit at a price.

Whats your recommendation?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Moved to a more apt forum.
17 REPLIES
N/A

I don't think it would be appropriate to add my thoughts on the best alternative BB supplier here!

If one of the mods would be kind enough to move this to somewhere more appropriate for this subject, I'll be happy to share my thoughts with you though.

Suffice to say there are lots to choose from, but not many I would recommend.
Alecto
Grafter

This isn't "community Support" I'm afraid, so needs to be moved.

You may not be happy with Plusnet, but don't expect any of the other big ones to be any better.
You will NOT get unlimited downloads with any of them, AOL or whoever. It's just that some hide this fact better than others.
I noticed Tiscali advertising as unlimited on TV last night, and it's simply not true.
N/A

If you want 'best value' you will have to pay more £££££s. Unless Enron are getting into the ISP bidness.

Plusnet still add up for me -just.
N/A

This isn't "community Support" I'm afraid, so needs to be moved.

This is ABSOLUTELY a community support issue, I want the help and support of the community to help me make the right decision which may be stay with Plusnet as you can see above.

I also want to hear their experiences about other ISP's. Of course if this post is buried somewhere else then I can always go and ask ASDLGUIDE et al and mention the awful perfomance here and other problems here.

My Nephew has been a lodger in a house where they have AOL he downloads night and day, he has had no traffic shaping, performance hits or other problems. Now he is looking for a simple 1mb connection as he things that is the best value in terms of what you get for your money.

You are right about Tiscali, there was a post on ADSLGUIDE about how they measure every day and average it out so you get FUP warnings for a minor download.

I am not a big downloader which is why I downgraded to PAYG when they got silly with the FUP/SUP. Now I just want a reliable connection, preferably 2mb not this naff 8mb connection that delivers 384k.
N/A

I see it has been moved, are you a moderator or was this done covertly?

I am off to post on ADSLGUIDE and anywhere else I can find.

You will be sorry.
Alecto
Grafter

You will be sorry.

Oh dear me. Cry

No I'm not a moderator and I can' t move things.
This kind of thread always gets moved though.
Don't know why you're picking on me!
N/A

Hi there.

The post was moved by John, a moderator as per his footnote to your OP.

Whilst I appreciate your annoyance and thinking, the Community Support forum is for feedback, discussion and community support regarding PlusNets products and services, not those of other providers.

As such, such discussion is OT in that forum. There is no difficulty seeking recommendations in say Everything Internet of even this forum, but AG is probably your best bet.

Nothing malicious or underhand is at play here, but a normal, open and common action.

I hope you understand the thinking.
N/A

I would not mind the moving it is the fact that I was not informed, a lack of courtesy me thinks.

I imagine that most people read these threads and stay with Plusnet, I know I have in the past.

However, how much more can I take?

I think that is the community issue, the desperate feeling and hopelessness of problems with plusnet.

I would like these threads all merged by subject, so you put all posts about performance together, all posts about P2P together etc.

That makes much more sense than vague titles like community support.
N/A

You will be sorry.

Oh dear me. Cry

No I'm not a moderator and I can' t move things.
This kind of thread always gets moved though.
Don't know why you're picking on me!

I am not picking on you, the comment was aimed at the person who moved the thread without even telling me. I ASS U ME D that you were involved because you said "This isn't "community Support" I'm afraid, so needs to be moved."

You can't tell who is a Plusnet moderator and who is a Plusnet staff member on here.

General Chit Chat is for just passing the time of day or getting geeks to vote for your sister in an FHM vote. It is hardly for something you feel strongly about.

Sorry for any offence caused.
Community Veteran

You can't tell who is a Plusnet moderator and who is a Plusnet staff member on here.

Of course you can. It says quite clearly under the username on the left.

With regards to you not being told. You were informed by the note under your first post that it had been moved.
N/A

I will hopefully be moving to http://www.bethere.co.uk next month, if its available in your area it might be worth a look.
N/A

However, how much more can I take?

I think that is the community issue, the desperate feeling and hopelessness of problems with plusnet.

Point taken. There is no doubt that the issues of late have been major and the effects of those issues have manifested themselves in the current feelings in the various forums.

However, as and when these issues are resolved, and resolved they will be, the community spirit will likely return.

As a mod, and a member of this community for a while, it is sad to see the level of annoyance exhibited on the boards, yet I fully understand the frustration. I can't wait for these forums to return to what they once were and for the community spirit to become evident again.

How much more can you take? Thats a question, but for what its worth, I dont think you and others will be waiting much longer before you see a marked improvement in service delivery and support provision.

The framework is in place and the desire for improvement is great. I think we'll see the end result in very quick time.

My suggestion would be to hang in there, you are one of the old hands Smiley and you've seen the good and the bad. The return to good is not far off Smiley
N/A

I would really like to believe that, I was upgraded to 8mb months ago and it has been hell ever since. The perfomance (about 2mb) is there if you download a service pack or similar but for day to day browsing it is hell.

These forums have been hell since the introduction of the FUP/SUP. I blame BT for that as it changed the infrastructure pricing.

I also blame BT for the 8mb "downgrade" fiasco. I do not believe it can be fixed, I would rather go back to 2mb or even 1mb.

Plusnet needs to radically change itself if it wishes to retain customers. It needs to be totally open about fees and do rework it terms with a view to getting a clarity award.

It also has to consider that when a customer complains about the SPAM or AV they can't just say "if you don't like it turn it off" that infuriates customers.

The email issue was unfortunate but "IT happens".

Overall the biggest issue is the lack of communications about problems which is a bit ironic considering it is their core business.

Well I have asked to go back to 2mb, lets see what happens, otherwise I am off.
N/A

With regards to you not being told. You were informed by the note under your first post that it had been moved.

That little blue note did not generate a message to me, perhaps that is the problem?