cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which car for the missus (and me)?

Community Veteran

Well, the missus is now starting to come round to the idea of changing her car..

Its got to be a "sporty" car, and we dont want any of this high reving type-r sportyness where you have to rev the pistons out to get anywhere...

Her current car is a convertible, so she is still looking toward a convertible for a replacement. My main gripes with this are:
A) Convertibles tend to be less sporty than their tin top siblings.

B) The number of days we get to put the roof down can be counted on both hands, and my missus can't stan the sun anyway!

C) And finally if I'm paying half toward a pottential 30K car, I dont want to look like a hairdresser!

Prefferably it has to be no older than 2003 or 2002 at a push, the cost should be around £25-30K.

So far we (meaning I) have come up with the choices above.

I am interested in reading what others opinions would be, and also if any current owners have any words of advice.... If anyone canthink of any other sugestions I'd like to know those too....
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

hmm convertable - 2CV they do a convertable of that :razz:
Community Veteran

Oh by the way - this is the missus' current car - just so you get the picture about feeling like a hair dresser.. Imagine an 18 stone burly bloke in this....

Community Veteran

Now I was about to suggest an MX-5, and spend the change on a second car, or holiday.

Looks like you have been there (lucky sod), Sorry but I have to disagree about the MX-5 being a hairdresser’s car, Peugeot 206cc now that is a hairdresser’s car.

Chilly

PS Post up the spec’s on the MX-5
Community Veteran

Its the Sport 1.8i S model. A 99 registered car. They only made 300 of these - you'll see people advertsing cars of a similar age as a "sport" model, but they aren't. They think the S after the 1.8i denotes sport, it doesn't - true "sport" models have the sport logo as badges on the wings and inner sills. The 99 sport model came with all the trimmings available on the mx-5 at that time, including leather as standard. To this day it remains the most expensive mx-5 model ever to appear in showrooms - price when new was £24k !

Specs include:
Full leather interior
Leather steering wheel
Stainless sills with "sport" logo
Sport mats
Colour Coded hard top
lowered blistein suspension (fitted as standard)
Sports bodykit and fog lamps (again factory standard fit on this model)

Oh and she only has 15K on the clock....

If you are interested, you can find the exact model here (under 1998/99 - S):
http://www.mx-5.org/oxford/guide_mx5.htm
N/A

Imagine an 18 stone burly bloke in this....

I can't imagine an 18 stone person in anything other that a Humvee.
N/A

Out of those personally i'd go for the M3. As a BMW owner myself the better half and I cant imagine not having at least one beemer in the family from now on.
as soon as our weddings paid for and out fo the ay we're looking for an M3 ourselves.

If you go for the 350z don't go for the softop, it's heavier slower and doesn't like corners as much.

Mk1 tuscan's are problem prone and practically undriveable in the wet as well as being murder on petrol.

another option to consider perhaps are:

RX8 allthough more "girly" looking that the 350z are an unbelievable car to drive
N/A

out of your short list i'd go for the M3,
one thing for sure i wouldn't let my missus loose in a tuscan, i know a guy who used to have one and he said it was totally uncontrolable in the wet, he used to have old women in nissan micra's overtaking him coming off roundabouts, he wrote it off in the end by hitting the central reservation, simply trying to overtake, you guessed it, in the wet.
with his insurance he got an M3.

i have driven a nissan 350z they too are quite hard to control, if i had the cash i'd go for a PORSCHE BOXSTER 3.2 S, mega powerfull but still relativly easy to tame.

could you see yourself in a porsche chris?
N/A

I drove a boxter S and IMO it was a boring drive. Not driver orientated enought for me.

Tircky to control = Good most of the time but the TVR goes far beyond tricky.

Wink
N/A

I drove a boxter S and IMO it was a boring drive. Not driver orientated enought for me.
)

did you have the traction control off?

with 0-60 of 5.6 seconds and 260bhp it should be entertaining enough,
remember he did say it was mainly for his wife
Community Veteran

Yep, the motor is mainly for the other half, but its also going to be my "bit of fun" too, as I have to make do with the company car as a daily driver.

I'm edging toward the M3 myself, but around here they are common as muck. I must see at least half a dozen a day.

I agree with the thoughts on the Tuscan, the safety aspects (or lack of) are what puts me off it for the missus (and myself when the red mist comes down) No ABS, Traction Control or indeed Airbags! Hmmm. The petrol wouldn't really be an issue, as with an annual mileage of about 2,000, the fuel bill isn't really a concern, the reliability is though!

I have driven the 350z and do like it - that was the tin top version. It pulled like a train, also seems to pull better than the boxter S.

To be honest I don't want a boxter - Porsche lost some credibility when they started making that "cheap" car. If you have a porsche, it has to be a 911 - but even then you can spend 50 grand more than the base model and still end up with something that looks exactly the same!

The new Cayman looks nice from Porsche, but its a little out of budget at present, and to be honest the specs dont really impress me that much when compared to the cars on the shortlist.

I havent driven the rag top 350z, and apparently its not that much different to the hard top due to the way it's bee strengthened. The performance is only a nats todger off the tin top's - but I think it looses most of its sleek looks in rag top format.

Fit a tuscan with the braking, safety and reliability of the 350z or M3 and I'll take that!

We are off to the nissan garage at the weekend, so the missus can have a good look round the rag top 350, at the end of the day it's her car (even though its coming from a joint account!) so she can have what she wants.

I'll let you know how we get on.
N/A

)

did you have the traction control off?

with 0-60 of 5.6 seconds and 260bhp it should be entertaining enough,
remember he did say it was mainly for his wife

I'd like to know what dealer you goto if they let you take the TC off and thrash it Wink No the TC was on. Basically I share chesterfield's opinion. If you can't afford a "proper" porsche don't bother. Smiley (no offence to any passing boxter owners they simply are not my thing). The one this I can sar about the boxter S is that the interior is pretty. Smiley

M3's are common everywhere now however there is a damn good reason for this Wink

FYI my dad had a Tuscan briefly, it was in the habit of opening it's own doors when going round roundabouts/islands. Not fun at all. I'm reliably informed that the new breed of TVR's are much nicer to drive but still have nothing in the way of creature comforts and safety, but then again thats not what they're designed for.

I love the looks of the 350z but i've not driven one. Until afore mentioned wedding is paid for there's no point in teasing myself! (plus the insurance man would be my best friend if I didn't wait at least another 12 months.)
N/A

I'd like to know what dealer you goto if they let you take the TC off and thrash it Wink

oh don't get me wrong, i have never been to a porsche dealer or even driven a porsche, i've just heard that they are not a bad motor for the money, but i understand what you are saying, you wouldn't want the cheapest/worst model.

I have just bought a new astra sport hatch, i know it's only half the price of a boxster, but when i took the demo car out for a test drive i gave it a real pummelling, TC off, ton up and even a bit of broadside, the sales guy didn't say a word, he was quite young and must of really wanted the sale, i saw him clutching the sides of his seat a couple of times though, but your right, i dont think i'd get away with that at a porsche dealer.
Community Veteran

Same for the nissan dealer too. I got up to 135 before I bottled it on the bypass betwen Chesterfield and Sheffield (chesterfield to Norton roundabout for thosein the know).

The un nerving thing is that the car didnt feel fast - or at least the sense of speed was not as great as it is in the mazda. I thought I was doing 70/75 looked down and it was 110.

The car felt solid. Not a twitch, virbatoin or rattle. Like it was made of stone.

We have just been discussing it again, and the looks of the Z really do cut the mustard, but with the rag top on it, it looses it. but with the top downit looks excellent again.

I think its going to be a 350Z, but dont know which version yet. The missus didn't like the rag top Audi TT as it feels very enclosed with the roof up, lik you are sat in a WWII gun turrett.

If the 350Z is the same, then it wil be the tin top one, or back to the drawing board!! :lol:
Community Veteran

Well - the visit is over and the decision has been made...

Its going to be a 350Z Roadster with GT pack and the Rays alloys. We have asked them to try and locate us a 6 month old one if possible. However given the fact that the roadsters are pretty rare to start with, finding one of the exact spec we want is going to be hard.

Well we have a two week holiday to look forward to now, that will give us chance to mull it over. I reckon when we get back we will just go and order a brand new one.

Heres how the decision process panned out.....

First to drop off was the BMW M3. Yes its a great car. Its got a great deal of power, a nice interior and has the practicality of four seats too! The main reason for dropping it off the list was that it is common. I dont mean, see one every now and then common - I see half a dozen a day.

I'm spending 30K on a car, then it has to be special. While an M3 is special, its not realy much more than a regular 3 series coupe with a bigger engine anda few outher tweaks. I want a special car that was designed to be special, not a special car made by adding sporty bits to a normal car.

Next to drop was the Tuscan. Its just not a daily driver, the lack of traction control, abs and airbags just puts me off. While I consider myself a competent driver (as does everyone) I am sure that during the winter, if I get a little over zealous, or try to annhialate some corsa with a beancan exhaust, I'll end up making a mess of it.

The missus would have to drive it daily to work, or we would have to get another (3rd) car just for winter driving. Which would be a little daft. Sowhile its a nice car to have for summer - Im not a millionaire yet, so the car has to be special yet practical enough for every day use.

The Audi TT and Hond S2000 were looked at, but the TT would be way too much of a hairdresers car for me and comparing the specs, its not the most powerful of the group. The Honda was dropped due to the lower power, and the fact that you have to rev the hell out of it in order to get the best out of it.

So.... It came down to the two variants of 350Z. Tin top and rag top.

So we go down to the dealership and see the roadster sat there in pride of place in the showroom. Also in the colour we want - Azure Blue.

The missus got in and I had a hop in shortly afterward. The first thing you notice is that this is nothing like the TT or S2000, or indeed the Tuscan. This car feels big and chunky, even with the roof chopped off. As the read of the car is very large, judging the distance when reversing may be an issue if you hae to rely on the mirror alone, if you can turn round and physically look at the rear of the car then you see the rear a little easier. If, like the missus you are a short arss then considering reversing sensors will be a wise move.

With the top up, visibility, as expected, is pretty poor. The hood folds up quite swiftly, and there is a little mnual handle that needs a tug to finish the process - during the process of putting the hood up or down, a quirky feature is that the passenger seat tilts forward a couple of inches so the roof does not hit the head of the passenger when it does its thing.

We then sat in the coupe model and to be honest, it does feel a little more "open" in the cabin, however, the rear visibility was worse! even though the back window is a lot larger, because of the angle it slopes at, the field of vision is the same, if not slightly smaller.

So - that made the decision, along with the fact that the roadster does not look or feel as girly as I thought it would. In the flesh, the car looked and felt a lot less "girly" as I thought it would in drop top form.

So - if the missus gets her way (which she invariably does) upon our return from Jamaica, the order will be placed for one of these......

http://www.freecarwallpaper.net/nissan/350z/html/Nissan-350Z-Roadster-2004-015-130.shtml