cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Product do I need?

N/A

Which Product do I need?

Hey guys, sorry to post this in Chit Chat but I really dont want to put this in customer support where hundreds of people will reply telling me what to do, none of them making much sense lol.

I am planning on leaving PN next month. Is there anyway I can keep my .co.uk domain and use my email through PN, also hopefully keeping the forum access?

Not too sure if all this is possible, and if it is how much would I be looking at paying?

Thanks for reading!
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which Product do I need?

You want the Dailup PAYG Premier Package although there are two variants of this - a business and a residential.The residential one is £4.99 pm and the Business is £9.99 pm. They allow the hosting of 3 or 5 domains respectively and as they are paid products they should allow you access to the forums as well.

There is also an option to host your .co.uk domain with PN for a charge of ~£30 per annum on the standard PAYG although I don't know what the deal would be with forum access on that package as normally you can't get into the forums on dailup PAYG.
Community Veteran

Which Product do I need?

There is also an option to host your .co.uk domain with PN for a charge of ~£30 per annum on the standard PAYG although I don't know what the deal would be with forum access on that package as normally you can't get into the forums on dailup PAYG.

You wouldn't get full forum access unless it's an account where you are contributing payment to. So Free dialups are a no no for keeping the forum.
Community Veteran

Which Product do I need?

Even with the domain hosting? As surely that would be contributing payment as PN charge about £30 / year for a domain on the standard dailup package.

I presume the premier option would work ok though as there is a charge of £4.99 or £9.99 per month on that?
N/A

Which Product do I need?

To be frank.. there are proper and more reliable web hosts out there who will probably charge you less than that. If you want to keep your posting rights here, I know of at least one guy who is now with Nildram but it was voted to allow him to keep posting here. You'll have to ask the mods about this though.
Community Veteran

Which Product do I need?

Even with the domain hosting? As surely that would be contributing payment as PN charge about £30 / year for a domain on the standard dailup package.

It's only a half of the fee though for the cheapest payed account. £5 x 12months is £60 per year so I doubt that it would count.
N/A

Which Product do I need?

I would say this is a new venture. Its a bit like muddy waters.
On the one hand you are a paying customer, but on the other the forums are massively rotated around users paying for a connection as apposed to a partial service like the domain hosting.
Withoutdrawing ill feeling towards myself I would say that you at least pay for a dial up account ( @£4.99 a month ) in order to retain full access to the boards, namely due to the overall general nature of the boards. But these are my own personal feelings that im currently feeling ( due to a recent addition tot he family my hormones are all over and I withold the right to change my feelings at any given time Smiley).
N/A

Which Product do I need?

The domain name I have now I got with the current Business Broadband package. Are you sure its only £30 a year to renew the domain, with hosting and access to emails (pointed @thedomain.co.uk)?

Also its a shame about the forum thing, I really cant pay £60 a year to post here lol. Its fun and nice, but so's the ice cream man and not even he will charge me that lol.
N/A

Which Product do I need?

Maybe one day you'll return? You can always pop in to http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php once in a while (Usergroup). There's one or two other ex PN peeps drop in there now and then, as well as the regulars!
There's also the Plusnetters site too - www.plusnetters.co.uk

Don't forget you can log in as guest here to see whats going on, and you can always post in the free-forum if you want to add a comment to anything in particular.
N/A

Which Product do I need?

Ah well, no worries. Its not that big of a deal, I just thought maybe PN would of had a decent way of allowing ex-customers to still be able to post. Afterall I am not the first and wont be the last to enquire about it Wink

I am more worried about the phear domain though, its pretty much become my main email address and would love to be able to keep it with PN. I am not too bothered about the website end, just usage to forward the .co.uk emails to another one of my email addresses would suffice?

Is there a cheaper way to do this then other than PN, and if so how exactly do I go about sorting it out. I really have no experience with domains, hosting and emailing systems at all heh.

"I know of at least one guy who is now with Nildram but it was voted to allow him to keep posting here. You'll have to ask the mods about this though."

I've not really been a model PN citizen, so I cant see them allowing me to stay on as a user without being a customer - plus I would pay a fair price for the rights to do so, aslong as its not extortianate hehe.

I think most people will agree the majority of my posts are in the computer/hardware section - which I really do enjoy posting in - helping folks with their problems Cheesy

I dont think this is enough though to persuade the PN team, I am not about to start whining at them - they obviously have enough on their plates. Although if one of the nice Mods here could give me some advice on this route it would be appreciated.
N/A

Which Product do I need?

I've not really been a model PN citizen, so I cant see them allowing me to stay on as a user without being a customer - plus I would pay a fair price for the rights to do so, aslong as its not extortianate hehe.

I have tons of accounts where people don't post - for a small fee (not extornionate!) I could allow you to post as a different user.
N/A

Which Product do I need?

Sounds like an interesting proposal Wink

What about the email thing, any ideas?

I am just unsure what happens exactly when I finish my contract with PN. What choices I have etc.

---

Looks as if it doesnt matter, just spent a couple of hours logging into everywhere I have registered and changing my email details. Seems to have worked pretty well, so its just the forum login now, but hopefully Big Saj can help out there Wink

Thanks guys/gals/inbetweens(Geoff) :lol:

On a risky side-note - is it possible if I do use a different acount to post with - are the Mods allowed to change my post count and re-initiate the Spark Plug thingy? :?
N/A

Which Product do I need?

I know how you feel and what your thoughts are on this. Believe me, its a tough decision but a unified one regardless of how good or bad you have been behaving.
I remember that a member of the tutorials team faced the exact same dilema. Moved from Plusnet due to it no longer being viable to him but did not wish to lose his posting rights.
Unfortunately we need to operate a on rule fits all process. It wouldnt be fair, not to mention would spark serious debates if discovered elsewise, if we were to operate a teo teir system.

Soz bud Sad
N/A

Which Product do I need?

I know of at least one guy who is now with Nildram but it was voted to allow him to keep posting here

I will have to retract that.. the guy I was thinking of hasn't posted since June/July(ish) so maybe he had his posting rights removed afterall :/
N/A

Which Product do I need?

What about posting as a different user as Big SaJ mentioned?

Is this allowed? And if so, could I migrate my post count and brightspark title to the new account?

Do I have to request a MAC code or anything to move the post count? :lol: Wink