cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ADSL Account?

N/A

Which ADSL Account?

Hello,

I currently have a Connect Account (v90 dial up 20-40 hours usage) and I'm looking at upgrading to a ADSL account. I have read that some ADSL accounts dont support Point2Point or newsgroups, are there any F9 accounts that do support them?

I basically want the same features as my current account but with the faster download/upload speeds 512/1mb/2mb.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?

> Hello,
>
> I currently have a Connect Account (v90 dial up 20-40 hours usage) and I'm looking at upgrading to a ADSL account. I have read that some ADSL accounts dont support Point2Point or newsgroups, are there any F9 accounts that do support them?
>
> I basically want the same features as my current account but with the faster download/upload speeds 512/1mb/2mb.
>
> Thanks
>

Hi,
I have an F9 ADSL account and can use both P2P & newsgroups (I dont make use of newsgroups but can get them without any problem though). So I guess F9 accounts do already support these services.

Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?

The cheapest of the Self Install packages (for both business and home use) were the last time I checked limited in what you could do with them. In other words the 18.99 (Home Surf) home account and 24.99 (ex vat) (Biz Surf) business one. Neither allows P2P or binary newsgroup access. They also give you less in the way of value added extras (i.e. a lot less webspace).

So in other words if you want P2P go for the ADSL Home or ADSL Home Worker (lower contention)

N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?

> The cheapest of the Self Install packages (for both business and home use) were the last time I checked limited in what you could do with them. In other words the 18.99 (Home Surf) home account and 24.99 (ex vat) (Biz Surf) business one. Neither allows P2P or binary newsgroup access. They also give you less in the way of value added extras (i.e. a lot less webspace).
>
> So in other words if you want P2P go for the ADSL Home or ADSL Home Worker (lower contention)
>
>

Hi,
I have the ADSL self install accout type which I believe is the same as BT's Home 500 product. And as I said before I have no problem with either of these services, I can get P2P & newsgroups dont know if that helps you or not?!! I have no problems with this ADSL account, its a good service and I am happy with it.

--
N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?

> Hi,
> I have the ADSL self install accout type which I believe is the same as BT's Home 500 product. And as I said before I have no problem with either of these services, I can get P2P & newsgroups dont know if that helps you or not?!! I have no problems with this ADSL account, its a good service and I am happy with it.

Ivan,

If you check you'll see that there are now two self-install products of 512kbps and 50:1 contention offered for both business and home. The cheaper in each case specifically states that P2P and binary newsgroup access is not available on that account.

As I mentioned both products are slightly cheaper (18.99 a month compared to 21.99 for the home products). I'd guess you're on the ADSL Home account, as opposed to the cheaper ADSL Home Surf Account
N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?

> > Hi,
> > I have the ADSL self install accout type which I believe is the same as BT's Home 500 product. And as I said before I have no problem with either of these services, I can get P2P & newsgroups dont know if that helps you or not?!! I have no problems with this ADSL account, its a good service and I am happy with it.
>
> Ivan,
>
> If you check you'll see that there are now two self-install products of 512kbps and 50:1 contention offered for both business and home. The cheaper in each case specifically states that P2P and binary newsgroup access is not available on that account.
>
> As I mentioned both products are slightly cheaper (18.99 a month compared to 21.99 for the home products). I'd guess you're on the ADSL Home account, as opposed to the cheaper ADSL Home Surf Account
>

Hi,
Look I still think your wrong my ADSL connection uses PPP and I can access newsgroups as far as I am aware & I've never had any problems with these things. Infact why dont we ask F9 to comment and tell us if this is correct or NOT?



--
N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?


> Hi,
> Look I still think your wrong my ADSL connection uses PPP and I can access newsgroups as far as I am aware & I've never had any problems with these things. Infact why dont we ask F9 to comment and tell us if this is correct or NOT?

I never mentioned PPP (which is related to connection as opposed to software running over your connection), I was referring to the P2P applications in the original question, and I also stated Binary newsgroups as it is the case that the cheapest ADSL accounts do not allow downloads from binary newsgroups.

The original question asked if there were limitations as regards to newsgroup access and use of P2P software with certain F9 ADSL accounts. Check the difference between the cheapest here: http://portal.f9.net.uk/info2/residential/res_broadband_adslhomesurf_selfinstall.html

and the £3 more a month account here: http://portal.f9.net.uk/info2/residential/res_broadband_adslhome_selfinstall.html

You'll clearly see that the cheaper account does not allow use of P2P or access to binary newsgroup articles. I think nothing more needs to be said on this thread as the original question was answered in my first reply stating that indeed the cheapest accounts do not allow said usage.
N/A

RE: Which ADSL Account?

>
> > Hi,
> > Look I still think your wrong my ADSL connection uses PPP and I can access newsgroups as far as I am aware & I've never had any problems with these things. Infact why dont we ask F9 to comment and tell us if this is correct or NOT?
>
> I never mentioned PPP (which is related to connection as opposed to software running over your connection), I was referring to the P2P applications in the original question, and I also stated Binary newsgroups as it is the case that the cheapest ADSL accounts do not allow downloads from binary newsgroups.
>
> The original question asked if there were limitations as regards to newsgroup access and use of P2P software with certain F9 ADSL accounts. Check the difference between the cheapest here: http://portal.f9.net.uk/info2/residential/res_broadband_adslhomesurf_selfinstall.html
>
> and the £3 more a month account here: http://portal.f9.net.uk/info2/residential/res_broadband_adslhome_selfinstall.html
>
> You'll clearly see that the cheaper account does not allow use of P2P or access to binary newsgroup articles. I think nothing more needs to be said on this thread as the original question was answered in my first reply stating that indeed the cheapest accounts do not allow said usage.

Here is the answer that F9 gave to the question I asked of them with regards to P2P & newsgroups with ADSL accounts:-

Dear Customer
these services are available on all ADSL accounts apart from the Home/Biz Surf accounts as detailed on our homepage. As you have an Home Self Install account these services are available for your use.
Kind Regards
Customer Support


--