17-05-2005 20:02:25 1908.8

but using bittorent client ( bit tornado) i'm still stuck at about 55 - 60 k

using windows xp
norton firewall

any help
12 REPLIES
N/A

Whats the best bittorrent client

If your using a router remember, you will need to forward the relivent ports and depending on your client this will vary. I personaly recommend bit tornado, nice and simple does all you need, im not bragging but whenever i jump on a torrent 95%of the time i get faster speeds than the people allready leeching and i tend to maintain that speed. The key thing to remember with bit torrent is you need to upload at a decent speed and make sure your connectable (thats what forwarding ports does).

Edit: also remember that you must not go above about 80% of your upload speed, due to the fact that this will effectively throttle your download speed.
ggiannandrea
Grafter

not using a router
is there any tweaking i can do in "prefs" etc to increase my download ?

thanks for the reply
N/A

Nope just make sure your upload is between 13kbps and 22kbps.
N/A

When using the client i recommended what colour is the light in the top right of the window?
N/A

For Torrents: www.torrentspy.com or www.isohunt.com

For a Client: http://www.shareaza.com/

Happy Bit-Torrenting!!!!!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

I prefer the edonkey/overnet network myself. Overnet provides serverless searches/downloads, and you just need the link rather than a file to start downloading something.

The new donkey client incorporates ed2k and overnet network, and even has a torrent plugin - havent tried it though.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Just a thought (it's been a while since I used BitTornado) - the client isn't limiting the download speed, is it (ie. it doesn't realise you're on 2MB now and is still accounting for 512k speeds). From my memory, I think BitTornado only has options to limit the upload speed, but then my memory isn't that good! Wink

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the client. Also, are you using WinXP SP2? Because I believe that limits the number of TCP connections, meaning you can't get connected to many peers...
ggiannandrea
Grafter

thanks to all who replied but I've not got my bittorrent working at full speed (depends on where I download from) and I'm reaching of 240kbps :lol:
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Glad to hear it, have a nice download Wink
N/A

I prefer the edonkey/overnet network

they use same network as shareaza, most of them do except have different interfaces

hanks to all who replied but I've not got my bittorrent working at full speed (depends on where I download from) and I'm reaching of 240kbps

congratz 2 u, also does anyone have good settings for Shareaza?? i can only usually get 50KBps when downloading stuff
N/A

they use same network as shareaza, most of them do except have different interfaces

Shareaza actually uses muliple networks including the bittorrent and edonkey2000 networks to download files. Shareaza does not actually have its own network, just builds on others.

The Overnet network is serverless, havent seen any other clients using it (please let me know if you have seen one), although emule is building in the Kad network which uses the same principals but they are not compatible.

congratz 2 u, also does anyone have good settings for Shareaza?? i can only usually get 50KBps when downloading stuff

Upping the max number of connections may help you.
N/A

Shareaza actually uses muliple networks

3 alltogether

Shareaza does not actually have its own network, just builds on others

true. they do a good job of it though!