cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats Requirements for 1mb?

N/A

What are the requirements for 1mb.
What is maximum line loss allowed upstream/downstream.
How far from exchange etc
4 REPLIES
N/A

I'm also interested in the distance from the exchange requirement for 1MB ADSL.
Is there anywhere that allows you to check to see what speeds you can recieve?
My router tel me that the loop distance (I'm guessing between me and my exchange) is about 11,000 feet. Does this limit me to 512Kbps ADSL?
N/A

In order to receive a 1 Mbps or 2 Mbps connection successfully, you need to be within 3.3km from the exchange. Interestingly I appear to be 3km away from my exchange.

Theres also a fair few tests you need to pass such as line loss, noise, if BT can be arsed, etc.

Basically theres no real way to be sure without trying.
N/A

Distance: Just in case you had any idea this was to do with km or miles you are from the exchange is wrong.

I live just over 300 yds (a bit under 300m for you Europeans) from my exchange yet when I asked for broadband BT said I was 3.5km away - perhaps they were taking into account expansion due to continental shift :lol: Smiley Cheesy :lol:
N/A

No, as its clearly mentioned (at least in some places) its the LOCAL LOOP distance.

Anyone with half a braincell should be able to figure that the direct distance to the exchange is meaningless as its the copper wire distance that counts and as you have found out, that can be just about anything - it all depends how the telephone network was setup in your area.