cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software is the F9 Portal created from/in?

N/A

What software is the F9 Portal created from/in?

I am curious to know what software is the F9 portal itself written in/from? Is it by any chance something.net?

Ivan

--
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: What software is the F9 Portal created from/in?

> I am curious to know what software is the F9 portal itself written in/from? Is it by any chance something.net?
>
> Ivan
>
>
> --
>

Force9?

any comments?
N/A

> > I am curious to know what software is the F9 portal itself written in/from? Is it by any chance something.net?
> >
> > Ivan
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
>
> Force9?
>
> any comments?
>Reply That comment does not answer my original question?

--
N/A

> > > I am curious to know what software is the F9 portal itself written in/from? Is it by any chance something.net?

Good Evening,

Apologies for the delay in answeriong your query.

The portal is actually written in PHP with database functionality provided by MySQL, the webserver is Apache running on Solaris(Unix). We use no software that requires a licence.

Let me know if I can help further.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

> > > > I am curious to know what software is the F9 portal itself written in/from? Is it by any chance something.net?
>
> Good Evening,
>
> Apologies for the delay in answeriong your query.
>
> The portal is actually written in PHP with database functionality provided by MySQL, the webserver is Apache running on Solaris(Unix). We use no software that requires a licence.
>
> Let me know if I can help further.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Duncan
> --
> | Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support    for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
> + ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------

Reply To Duncan,
Many Thanks for your response which I found most interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what is PHP?
I can fully agree with & appreciate F9's reasoning behined using non Microsoft products and hence avoiding the tie-ins with MS licensing. I know this has been a huge IT industry issue which was highlighted recently with the 31st deadline.

Regards
Ivan Ratoyevsky (cyteck)

--
N/A

> > > > > I am curious to know what software is the F9 portal itself written in/from? Is it by any chance something.net?
> >
> > Good Evening,
> >
> > Apologies for the delay in answeriong your query.
> Many Thanks for your response which I found most interesting. Excuse my ignorance but what is PHP?

Good Evening,

PHP (short for Personal Home Page) is an alternative to ASP. A short history is that it was written to provide interactivity for websites, however it is now a fully fledged development package in its own right.
See www.php.net for further information about what you can do with PHP.

> I can fully agree with & appreciate F9's reasoning behined using non Microsoft products and hence avoiding the tie-ins with MS licensing.

One of the biggest benefits that we see is the speed in which the open source community fix bugs, especially the ones that can be exploited to gain control of the system that they are running on.

Let me know if you'd like any further information.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

> PHP (short for Personal Home Page) is an alternative to ASP. A short history is that it was written to provide interactivity for websites, however it is now a fully fledged development package in its own right.
> See www.php.net for further information about what you can do with PHP.
>
> > I can fully agree with & appreciate F9's reasoning behined using non Microsoft products and hence avoiding the tie-ins with MS licensing.
>
> One of the biggest benefits that we see is the speed in which the open source community fix bugs, especially the ones that can be exploited to gain control of the system that they are running on.
>
> Let me know if you'd like any further information.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> Duncan
> --

Sorry to point this out, but PHP no longer stands for Personal Home Page, it was changed (at least 6 months ago, if not more) to "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor", which I will admit seems odd as PHP is now what the first P stands for, but it does mention this in the FAQ on the www.php.net site.

Also I've always considered PHP to be more like Perl than ASP, but I don't know ASP, or PHP that well, or Perl come to think about it. But I have worked in Perl a bit and PHP less so. But this is really quite irrelevant. Sorry.
N/A

> Sorry to point this out, but PHP no longer stands for Personal Home Page, it was changed (at least 6 months ago, if not more) to "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor", which I will admit seems odd as PHP is now what the first P stands for, but it does mention this in the FAQ on the www.php.net site.

It's a left recursive acronym ala GNU (GNU Not Unix), basically if you didn't know recursion is a programming concept for calling the same function from itself to find an answer (a basic explanation, but its the concept of a function calling itself). So PHP expands to PHP Hypertext Processor, then if you expand the PHP again you get the same and so on in an infinite recursion, but on the left side of the output.

> Also I've always considered PHP to be more like Perl than ASP, but I don't know ASP, or PHP that well, or Perl come to think about it. But I have worked in Perl a bit and PHP less so. But this is really quite irrelevant. Sorry.

Yeah ASP is predominantly based on VBScript which is a derivative of Visual Basic (albeit with much weaker typing, although VB has very weak (and optional) typing compared to say C and Java). Although you can also use JScript for ASP scripts which I've never really got the point of (Microsofts version of JavaScript basically). Perl again isn't a strongly typed language as you only have three data types, but PHP to the best of my knowledge isn't typed, it's just the syntax is similar to Perl, and also C and Java. Mainly the use of {} braces to wrap round functions, conditionals, etc. And the use of () braces around actual conditions in conditional statements as opposed to end statements in vb,vbscript and thens etc.