cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What powers the forum/portal?

N/A

Firstly, I hope this is this right forum Smiley

Real question time - how is the portal / forum powered? I know it is phpbb based, but how does the news get from the "Announcements/Service Updates" forum to the "Service Status" page on the portal?

Is it a phpbb hack, like a portal system, or is it a piece of custom code?

I would be very interested in implementing the same thing on a friends system [he runs his own server with forums, I made him a very simple "service status" page with red, amber and green icons, but I just need a maintenance log type thing, and it would be really simple if it could just be powered by the forum].

Thanks Smiley
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I imagine it's handled by a bit of custom code... it's pretty easy to do, as long as you have some understanding of PHP.

Thomas
Community Veteran

The Service Status tool that PlusNet staff use to make service status annoucements posts the details on the service status page and then automatically copy the information into postings into the relevent forum.

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

Yeah, I don't actually now how it works technically, but it is the actual posting tool we use that makes the post here.

I suspect it actually makes an insert straight into the phpbb DB, but I'm not sure.

If I find out, I'll tell you!

Regards,
N/A

Ahh thanks guys - I expected it to be a portal like EZportal [which copies postings from specific forums > the portal frontpage].