cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What new CGI improvements are due?

N/A

There is talk of CGI being upgraded/changed and mention of customers requests for certain services to be included in the re-vamp.

Anyone know exactly what will be done? New versions PHP, MySQL perhaps? ASP?

It would be very handy to know what changes are planned in advance in case us CGI'ers need to change any code etc.

Many thanks

Christian.
7 REPLIES
N/A

I agree with you, it would be useful to know in advance exactly what is planned. Personally, I don't know any details, although I have seen hints here and there about modifications to the software configuration. The only thing I've heard for certain is that domain hosting will be improved in that it will be possible for web sites for a particular domain to be rooted at a specific directory in your CGI space, in the same way as is already possible on the "homepages" system.

A small number of PlusNet (rather than Force9) customers seem to have extraordinarily detailed knowledge of the inside workings of Force9/PlusNet, including what the plans are. Now and then, they post something on the PlusNet forum which strongly indicates this, since it's not information you'd expect a customer to know (or, at least, not to be able to state without qualifying that they're just guessing at how Force9/PlusNet does something). How they get this information, and whether this extends to having some sort of say in the decision-making process, I don't know -- it may simply be that they ask! As an ordinary mortal who doesn't ask, I'm as in the dark as anyone else.
N/A

Some of the details of what to expect are included in the CGI Announcement that was posted to Service Status back at the end of January.
N/A

Thanks for pointing those out Colin.

I had read the announcement previously (hard to miss with all the yellow lights on the status page!), which prompted my post. If those are the only changes then I guess we can say there will be little risk of upsetting current code, clearly it looks like there are no *major* changes in any software versions.

It would be fantastic to see a full list of changes that are planned - even if they are not all carried out for one reason or another, and perhaps along with some info on what those changes would allow (very useful for people like me who do not know an awful lot about CGI side of stuff).

Many thanks again.

C.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Christian,

Other than list what's already in the service status post there isn't a lot I can tell you about the upgrade.

If there's anything that you'd like to see added that hasn't already been suggested here or in the Plusnet forum then please feel free to ask and I'll raise it as an idea.
N/A

ok - thanks. At least it looks like there wont be any 'nasty surprises'

Smiley
N/A

I've just seen Dave's post in the newsgroup, didn't turn up on the forum though, stating that users will be asked to test the new cgi server over the weekend. With the "imminent" arrival of the upgrade, will you be giving us plenty of notice to enable back ups of essential files?

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Nothing changes as far as I know, it still uses the old storage system (or, it is at the moment) so nothing should be lost.