cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of ADSL speeds should we expect?

N/A

What kind of ADSL speeds should we expect?

Hello All,
I've just got ADSL with force9. I must admit was a little struggle at first but there now. I just wanted to get an idea of what kind of speeds to expect. I ran the http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Speed test JAVA applet and it seems to run about 300Kbps down and about 200Kbps up (obviously this varies).

best regards,

Greg
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: What kind of ADSL speeds should we expect?

Hi Greg,

Don't worry about all those speed testing sites. I got loads of them if you want but they give wildly differing results.

You can expect 60KBs from an uncongested site. That will tell you that all is sweet your end.

Get http://www.dumeter.com/, I have it running all the time, 30 day trial. If you are on win 98/Me, try http://www.codeoftheweek.com/netmon/index.html (my old favourite, but got used to DU meter nicely).

Cheers,

Guy

**Politically Incorrect and proud of it!
N/A

Hi Guy,
Thanks I'll give that a try. It's just that I seem to be getting at the most 30K.

cheers,

Greg Smiley

> Hi Greg,
>
> Don't worry about all those speed testing sites. I got loads of them if you want but they give wildly differing results.
>
> You can expect 60KBs from an uncongested site. That will tell you that all is sweet your end.
>
> Get http://www.dumeter.com/, I have it running all the time, 30 day trial. If you are on win 98/Me, try http://www.codeoftheweek.com/netmon/index.html (my old favourite, but got used to DU meter nicely).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Guy
>
> **Politically Incorrect and proud of it!

N/A

>You can expect 60KBs from an uncongested site.
>That will tell you that all is sweet your end.

I've been considering getting ASDL for sometime and have seen this figure quoted from various sources (PCW, etc).

I currently get 45kbs from my F9 Lite connection on my modem, so my question is: Is it really worth the hassle of installing ASDL and the additional monthly cost (I pay £6.99 a month for the current connection) when all you gain is a poxy 15kbs?!?!

I know you get to keep your landline free, but I'm intending to get a second line at home for work calls anyway. Which brings my second question. Can a second line and ASDL co-exist. I've e-mail BT, but they can't be bothered replying.

Any insight would be appreciated.
N/A

You have this a little wrong.

From a modem you can physically download between 4.5k and 5.5k file size per second.

From my ADSL connection I get around 60K file size per second. Now that is a meg in around 18 seconds for ADSL while a modem would take. around three and a half minutes for the same 1 meg file.

ADSL is between 10 and 20 times faster than a modem/ISDN connection.

Kind Regards

Kevin

--
--
| Kevin Revill ............... Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Force9 Customer Support ........... for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. ....... @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> I know you get to keep your landline free, but I'm intending to get a second line at home for work calls anyway. Which brings my second question. Can a second line and ASDL co-exist. I've e-mail BT, but they can't be bothered replying.
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.

Yes, you can have a second line and ADSL. (In fact, you can have ADSL on both lines if you're so inclined.)

N/A

> > I know you get to keep your landline free, but I'm intending to get a second line at home for work calls anyway. Which brings my second question. Can a second line and ASDL co-exist. I've e-mail BT, but they can't be bothered replying.
> >
> > Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> Yes, you can have a second line and ADSL. (In fact, you can have ADSL on both lines if you're so inclined.)
>
>

Hi there,
I got an additional BT telephone line installed and then got ADSL activated on this. The only problem I had was with BT through force9 not force9 problem themselves. Problem is that the new line was not recognised on the broadband checker. It is now though checked today. The people I spoke to at BT went blind when they found that it was not on the broadband checker.
N/A

> > I know you get to keep your landline free, but I'm intending to get a second line at home for work calls anyway. Which brings my second question. Can a second line and ASDL co-exist. I've e-mail BT, but they can't be bothered replying.
> >
> > Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> Yes, you can have a second line and ADSL. (In fact, you can have ADSL on both lines if you're so inclined.)
>
>

Would any of you guys mind trying out the adslguide.org.uk speedtester? I'm still having problems with speed but don't know if I'm worrying about nothing. I get an average of about 350K download. My adsl router reports that the line has high attentuation of 63 download. I get CRC errors download and upload. Just wanted to know what you guys are experiencing. I am however pleased with the ADSL line. I used to have a 33kbps modem before.

Smiley

N/A

Here are results I obtained just before 7pm on 2002-07-08:

Starting speed test...
Do not use your connection until the test has finished.

>>> Speed: 452Kbps (down), 234Kbps (up) <<<
Test complete.

Repeating the test with the detailed results option:

Starting speed test...
Do not use your connection until the test has finished.
Downloaded 32768 bytes in 656ms
Fairly fast connection, trying 524288 bytes.
Downloaded 524288 bytes in 9406ms
Now starting download test
Downloaded 524288 bytes in 10626ms
Estimated downstream speed is 385Kbps.
Uploaded 133120 bytes in 5578ms
Estimated upstream speed is 186Kbps.
Uploaded 133120 bytes in 4469ms
Overall estimated upstream speed is 209Kbps.
Results stored.

>>> Speed: 385Kbps (down), 209Kbps (up) <<<
Test complete.
N/A

> Here are results I obtained just before 7pm on 2002-07-08:
>
> Starting speed test...
> Do not use your connection until the test has finished.
>
> >>> Speed: 452Kbps (down), 234Kbps (up) <<<
> Test complete.
>
> Repeating the test with the detailed results option:
>
> Starting speed test...
> Do not use your connection until the test has finished.
> Downloaded 32768 bytes in 656ms
> Fairly fast connection, trying 524288 bytes.
> Downloaded 524288 bytes in 9406ms
> Now starting download test
> Downloaded 524288 bytes in 10626ms
> Estimated downstream speed is 385Kbps.
> Uploaded 133120 bytes in 5578ms
> Estimated upstream speed is 186Kbps.
> Uploaded 133120 bytes in 4469ms
> Overall estimated upstream speed is 209Kbps.
> Results stored.
>
> >>> Speed: 385Kbps (down), 209Kbps (up) <<<
> Test complete.
>

Hi Steve,
Thanks for that my colleague got at 6pm last night (also force9):

>>> Speed: 469Kbps (down), 201Kbps (up) <<<
Test complete.

I tried just before 7am this morning and got 412K download, 208 Upload. At other times it does not go over 400Kbps. I've logged a call with force9 but I don't want BT to cut the connection, which apparently they have been known to do. Just want to know why I have errors. I had a whole load of errors this morning.

cheers,

Greg