cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Westell Wirespeed 36R305

N/A

Westell Wirespeed 36R305

A friend gave me one of these Modems that BT had supplied him for their service.

I however, cannot get it to work with my Force 9 connection.

IS there anyone out there using one than can advise me how they got it to work! Everything seems correct. VCI and VPI settings are correct etc. But I get no connection at all. Not with the test logins etc. either. F9 support told me that it was not on their "supported" modems list although I cannot find such a list on their site anywhere :/

I am running Windows 2000 by the way.

Thanks in advance. Dran
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Westell Wirespeed 36R305 Reply

> A friend gave me one of these Modems that BT had supplied him for their service.
>
> I however, cannot get it to work with my Force 9 connection.
>
> IS there anyone out there using one than can advise me how they got it to work! Everything seems correct. VCI and VPI settings are correct etc. But I get no connection at all. Not with the test logins etc. either. F9 support told me that it was not on their "supported" modems list although I cannot find such a list on their site anywhere :/
>
> I am running Windows 2000 by the way.
>
> Thanks in advance. Dran

Hi Dran,
OK here are a couple of really dumb sounding questions, I assume you do have an ADSL/Broadband enabled phoneline? (assuming it is BT?),Has your phoneline been activated by BT yet? What are the VCI and VPI numbers that you are using? Do you know what the modulation type is that you need to use?.

Another suggestion would be to run a google search for this make of modem for further settings etc.

Windows 2000 is fine thats not your problem bye the sound of it,but it does sound like the driver software that you need or just a question of the correct settings that are required.

**ISP's (inc F9)dont publish lists of supported harware on their websites/portals as this tends to be an internal support issue (used for IT support staff mainly).

Hope this might be of some help,feel free to come back to me if you dont get it up and running.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

RE: Westell Wirespeed 36R305 Reply x2

> > A friend gave me one of these Modems that BT had supplied him for their service.
> >
> > I however, cannot get it to work with my Force 9 connection.
> >
> > IS there anyone out there using one than can advise me how they got it to work! Everything seems correct. VCI and VPI settings are correct etc. But I get no connection at all. Not with the test logins etc. either. F9 support told me that it was not on their "supported" modems list although I cannot find such a list on their site anywhere :/
> >
> > I am running Windows 2000 by the way.
> >
> > Thanks in advance. Dran
>
> Hi Dran,
> OK here are a couple of really dumb sounding questions, I assume you do have an ADSL/Broadband enabled phoneline? (assuming it is BT?),Has your phoneline been activated by BT yet? What are the VCI and VPI numbers that you are using? Do you know what the modulation type is that you need to use?.
>
> Another suggestion would be to run a google search for this make of modem for further settings etc.
>
> Windows 2000 is fine thats not your problem bye the sound of it,but it does sound like the driver software that you need or just a question of the correct settings that are required.
>
> **ISP's (inc F9)dont publish lists of supported harware on their websites/portals as this tends to be an internal support issue (used for IT support staff mainly).
>
> Hope this might be of some help,feel free to come back to me if you dont get it up and running.
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>
>
> --
>

Hi,
I did a web search for you & found the following links that might be of use?

1)http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/
chipweb/dsl/nics/dsl_modem_list.html

2)http://www.westell.com/
content/products/pdf/36R305.pdf

Hope one of these might help?

Best Regards
Ivan

--
N/A

> > > A friend gave me one of these Modems that BT had supplied him for their service.
> > >
> > > I however, cannot get it to work with my Force 9 connection.
> > >
> > > IS there anyone out there using one than can advise me how they got it to work! Everything seems correct. VCI and VPI settings are correct etc. But I get no connection at all. Not with the test logins etc. either. F9 support told me that it was not on their "supported" modems list although I cannot find such a list on their site anywhere :/
> > >
> > > I am running Windows 2000 by the way.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance. Dran
> >
> > Hi Dran,
> > OK here are a couple of really dumb sounding questions, I assume you do have an ADSL/Broadband enabled phoneline? (assuming it is BT?),Has your phoneline been activated by BT yet? What are the VCI and VPI numbers that you are using? Do you know what the modulation type is that you need to use?.
> >
> > Another suggestion would be to run a google search for this make of modem for further settings etc.
> >
> > Windows 2000 is fine thats not your problem bye the sound of it,but it does sound like the driver software that you need or just a question of the correct settings that are required.
> >
> > **ISP's (inc F9)dont publish lists of supported harware on their websites/portals as this tends to be an internal support issue (used for IT support staff mainly).
> >
> > Hope this might be of some help,feel free to come back to me if you dont get it up and running.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Ivan
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
> Hi,
> I did a web search for you & found the following links that might be of use?
>
> 1)http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/
> chipweb/dsl/nics/dsl_modem_list.html
>
> 2)http://www.westell.com/
> content/products/pdf/36R305.pdf
>
> Hope one of these might help?
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>
>
> --
>

N/A

modulation g.dmt - vpi 0 - vci 38

They are set correctly but the F9 tech support basically ended the conversation that its an unsupported modem (although BT obviously send them out and I assume that F9 is running on the BT service in some way) and theres nothing they can do.

The test logins don't work and neither does mine.

The line seems to be on as the modem thinks the line is ready... just nothing happens when dialing.

Thanks for your help but the URLs are ones I've checked already and don't contain any other useful info. Westells website has NO info on the modem and NO drivers so theyre very useful too...

I may be stuck..... time to borrow a modem and test the line with one that does work.

Cheers
N/A

RE: Westell Wirespeed 36R305 Further Reply From Ivan

> modulation g.dmt - vpi 0 - vci 38
>
> They are set correctly but the F9 tech support basically ended the conversation that its an unsupported modem (although BT obviously send them out and I assume that F9 is running on the BT service in some way) and theres nothing they can do.
>
> The test logins don't work and neither does mine.
>
> The line seems to be on as the modem thinks the line is ready... just nothing happens when dialing.
>
> Thanks for your help but the URLs are ones I've checked already and don't contain any other useful info. Westells website has NO info on the modem and NO drivers so theyre very useful too...
>
> I may be stuck..... time to borrow a modem and test the line with one that does work.
>
> Cheers

Hi Again,
Ok I read your last reply and here are some further thoughts. 1)The line contra to what you might think may not be ready or working correctly. It sounds abit like you dont have a fully working ADSL signal across the connection (despite any lights or LED's on your modem, in other words dont be fooled by that!). I would suggest you contact BT's ADSL team and ask them to test your line & to see if there is any noise or problem with the line itself. It might be that the line requires balancing or the gain turning up?

2)Re:Test login's Do you get any error messages or numbered error messages as this can be helpful in at least narrowing down the problem/s.

3)Of course the other possibility is that you just have a duff ADSL modem? it does happen!. If its at all humanly possible could you borrow another ADSL modem (from a friend perhaps?)to at least test the line is working. If another ADSL modem doesn't work on the line then it might provide further proof that its down to your phone line,etc.

Best Regards
Ivan
ivan@cyteck.co.uk

--
N/A

RE: Westell Wirespeed 36R305 Further Reply From Ivan

Hey,

If I put the telephone number in as 0,38 the modem then works! Go figure. Anyway... try it on XP too anyone who has the same problem as it was the only way to get it to work with Windows 2000!

Thanks for your help at trying to resolve it... I finally found a F9 support guy who knew his stuff Wink
N/A

Reply From Ivan

> Hey,
>
> If I put the telephone number in as 0,38 the modem then works! Go figure. Anyway... try it on XP too anyone who has the same problem as it was the only way to get it to work with Windows 2000!
>
> Thanks for your help at trying to resolve it... I finally found a F9 support guy who knew his stuff Wink

Hi,
YES!didnt anyone tell you that you use the vpi 0 - vci 38 instead of the phone number. It should have been in large letters in any documentation for the device. I know it can be pretty confusing that bit,its like not very clear. Its a modem like why doesnt it dial a phone number!!!you wont be the first person who missed that one either. Glad its working for you now though.

Ivan
--