Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace usage

Blue_Banana
Dabbler

Webspace usage

Hi,

I have searched the f9 site for help on this but have been unable to find any.

Is it possible to split my webspace so that I can have different addresses for different parts of my site.
eg www.username.f9.co.uk/site1/index.htm and also www.username.f9.co.uk/site2/index.htm

If this is possible, how do you do it. I have tried the obvious with subdirectories but I just get a 404 error.

Also, is it possible to password protect pages and if so can anyone give a point in the right direction please.

Any help on the above will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Webspace usage

Is it possible to split my webspace so that I can have different addresses for different parts of my site.
eg www.username.f9.co.uk/site1/index.htm and also www.username.f9.co.uk/site2/index.htm

If this is possible, how do you do it. I have tried the obvious with subdirectories but I just get a 404 error.

Surely, to do what you want, you just create the subdirectories under htdocs and populate them with your material.

Don't know why you were getting a 404. Did you have a readable index.html or index.htm page in each of the directories you tried?
Blue_Banana
Dabbler

Webspace usage

Thanks for the advice.

I persevered and found that I could get it to work with my f9 url but not with my redirected domain name.

This was because my redirection for my domain url was to username.f9.co.uk/index.htm.
By adding another directory and index.htm to my domain url I got an invalid redirected url of username.f9.co.uk/index.htmsubdirectory/index.htm

Any ideas about the password protection on pages please?

Thanks again for the help.
N/A

Password Protection using .htaccess

Any ideas about the password protection on pages please?

I think the answer to your question is an .htaccess file.

A good guide to these is the Comprehensive guide to .htaccess and the part about Password protection.
N/A

Webspace usage

I persevered and found that I could get it to work with my f9 url but not with my redirected domain name.

This was because my redirection for my domain url was to username.f9.co.uk/index.htm.
By adding another directory and index.htm to my domain url I got an invalid redirected url of username.f9.co.uk/index.htmsubdirectory/index.htm

Have you configured your domain url correctly under Domain Names?

Select your domain name then in Domain hosting settings, select Default - I wish to have this domain hosted automatically under my webspace

In Directory - /htdocs/ enter just the directory name for the site you require. (You must have created this under the htdocs directory on the homepages server).

Note In can take between 30 mintues to an hour for the changes made in 'Domain Names' to come into effect.

Regards

Neil
Ianwild
Grafter

Webspace usage

We have a guide on our portal describing how to password protect your space - It's here.

Regards,
Blue_Banana
Dabbler

Webspace usage

Thanks for all the help on these matters.

I now know what I have to do and will be sorting it all out in the next week or two.

Cheers.