cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcams

N/A

Webcams

Does anyone have one, and do you have any tips on how to set one up?

thank you
14 REPLIES
N/A

On webcams

Hi,

Yes! I have a little limited experience of webcams, DONT buy a cheap or cheap and cheerful (i.e. low low priced cam) webcam as the quality of the images is often rubbish to put it politely. I'd advise if you can afford it to go for a mid priced webcam again as the image quality is likely to be superior.

Buying webcams can be confusing, their are plain "Webcams" which are designed for still images or video or video conferencing (using software such as MS Netmeeting or ICQ or some such) and these do what the lable says.

Other webcams come as Digital cameras and combine the function of webcams. This means you can take digital still images with the camera and also then plug the same camera into your PC (usually via a USB port) and use it for web conferencing. The problem here is NOT so much a quality issue more a price issue. Combined Digital Cameras & webcams tend to be much more expensive.

**Note: as a rule of thumb the greater the number of pixels the camera has or contains the better the image qualiy will be.

**Look out for webcams that can be attached to your PC via USB ports as this is a very quick and user friendly way to use the cam.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Webcams

Thanks for the reply.
Have you managed to get yours streaming, so your website continually shows updated pictures?

If so, which software do you use? Can you point me in the right direction for tutorials and suchlike.

thanks
N/A

Re:Streaming

Hi mpheath,

As I said previously my experience is abit limited and streaming is not a subject I have any first hand knowedge of, so I dont think I'm going to be able to help you on that specific topic. I've never tried streaming of the kind your talking about. However there seems to be a large number of people using this technique/s on the web so there must be some information on how to do this.

Sorry! I cannot help you with that on this occation.

Ivan Sad
N/A

Webcams

I use coffee cup webcam. most success is at 4 second refresh
N/A

Webcams

I've used
http://www.booru.net/

I've not used it a lot, but it's free and seemed to work ok, if you get the settings right.
N/A

Webcams

thanks for all the help, I'm also looking at webcam32 software as well. www.webcam32.com.

cheers
Mike
N/A

Webcams

N/A

Webcams

Very good, now what hourly rate are you prepared to pay us for keeping an eye on your car(s) overnight? Wink
N/A

Cars Cam

Hi Tasky,

Actually and sadly thats not such a crazy notion these days with high rates of car crime here in Leeds. Webcams for car surveylance had crossed my mind I can tell you, especially as I have good street lighting right outside my house.

I have also hear several stories of people using webcams in such a crime prevention way, one school head master used x4 webcams to catch the people who broke into his school premsis.

Ivan
N/A

Webcams

http://www.mpheath.force9.co.uk/webcam.htm

got it working!! :lol:

what a shame, I was looking for examples of working webcams to help me with mine but it seems that you have taken the page away. Is it still active or have you removed it totally?

Cheers

Mark
slev
Grafter

Webcams

Hi

The webcams can be found at

http://portal.f9.net.uk/webcams/

Kind Regards

Ian
N/A

Webcams

Hi Ian

I wasn't looking for the F9 webcams but examples of working webcams on F9 users webspace.

Cheers

Mark
slev
Grafter

Webcams

Oh right

oops

oh well, sorry not sure how to stream to the f9 servers website area,

Kind Regards

Ian
N/A

Webcams

It's still working... but I'm in the process of redesigning the site.

Basically the HTML page links to a static image file.

One my PC at home, I have a program - webcam32 which I have set to ftp a new image (with the same name) every 15 minutes during daylight hours. That's about it really. I don't do streaming due to bandwidth implications.