cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web forwarding to a domain help

N/A

Hey everyone,

I purchased a domain name with 123-reg.co.uk (not sure if that was a good thing or not lol) Now I woul dlike to be able to forward this domain to my force9 free webspace... But I don't want like on other domains the URL of force9.co.uk to show up ( no offence) just want it to show as my domain basically if that is at all possible?

I know that there are nameservers and perhaps I need to alter those or the DNS lol either one is confusing me a little would just like to get it working hehe.

Any help would be great, thanks guys.
39 REPLIES
N/A

Web Redirection Replying Ivan

Hi rogerdean,

I think what your asking about is called redirection? and for your new domain name to be redirected to your F9 domain name, so that when a visitor or viewer trypes in the domain name (whatever that is on your 123-reg.co.uk) it is then redirected to your F9 web space (i.e. one domain name is redirected to the other). If this is what you want and I have understood your posting correctly? then you need to contact the domain name providor in this case 123-reg.co.uk they then will need to setup the re-direction for you by making changes to their DNS servers records and you might also need to contact F9 support or open a support ticket asking them if F9 have to make similar DNS record changes too.

**I have a feeling that both ISP's have to change their respective DNS server records for this to work correctly.

**Please note that the redirection process means that there is a slight delays of 1 or 2 seconds before the viewer will arrive at your F9 site/space.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Hey cyteck,

Yeah I think I get what you mean, well the best way to explain what I am wondering is like this.

Say if an image is hosted on my force9 webspace and someone goes to www.domainaddress.co.uk when the page loads it loads from www.domainaddress.co.uk not there then www.rogerdean.force9.co.uk for example, and when someone right clicks on an image they see source: http://www.domainaddress.co.uk or is that not possible?
N/A

To re- direct your domain with 123, you need to log into your 123 account, then under Manage domains, choose the domain you want to work with and then click modify domain. You have now entered the domain control panel. About 5 links down you will find a change nameservers link, click on it. You then need to place in ns1.force9.net & ns2.force9.net and click on change nameservers. Updating DNS records can take between 24 and 72 hours and in that time you may find times when your domain or email is not available.

So long as you do not type in the full url of your image (ie ../images/image.jpg not www.username.f9.co.uk/images.image.jpg), then yes, they will show up as www.domainname.co.uk/images/image.jpg.

Not really sure about the set up for F9, but there is a domain names tab on the F9 website with a transfer in option which I think is DIY. If you want the domain hosted on the cgi server, it is easier to raise a ticket and ask CS to do it for you.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Thanks Mark Smiley Well I changed the nameservers to what you suggested just now so will see in a while if things alter or not Smiley hopefully it will all work, so may find that things go down for a time, so do I leave web forwarding on? which option in there do I require, so that the host address doesn't show anywhere that easily on the site which people go to, that is when they are using the domain
N/A

Transfering In Domain name Ivan

Hello Again rogerdean,

I think I now understand what your wanting more clearly than before, what your wanting ISNT redirection at all. I think what you require is for your domain name to be actually hosted by Force9 and Yes! you can do this free of charge.

**NOTE: this is exactly like my own domain name "cyteck" which I bought from a third party company called AQ-Domains and then transfered into F9.

**If you transferred your own domain name into F9 the what you end up with is a web address that doesnt include "force9" in it (people dont know who your ISP is in that case!) so mine is www.cyteck.co.uk instead of www.cyteck.force9.co.uk or such like.

**If you login to the portal as normal into your account details you should see a link that says "domains" this takes you to the page where you should see a button that allows you to transfer in your new domain name. If your not feeling brave enough to do this then you could open a support ticket and ask F9 to transfer it in for you.

**Check with 123-reg.co.uk that this is OK before proceeding though and No! dont let them convince you to host it for you (they may well try to sell that one too you!).

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Once you have transferred the nameservers to F9's, they are hosting the domain on their system. By changing the nameservers, you have superceded the re- direction in 123's control panel so there is no need to worry. What you will find though is that if you have an email address on your domain name (e.g name1@domainname.co.uk), you will need to have a name1 mailbox on your F9 account as this is where it wil be delivered (especially if all non mailbox names go to the blackhole),

Once you have informed F9 of your decision to transfer in and you have changed the nameservers, that is it, you sit back and wait. Bear in mind that you will have two addresses for your site though, one will be domainname and one will be f9.co.uk. If the site has been active for a while it may be listed in the search engines under the F9 address, you could find it stays listed there for a long time!!

Once the DNS has refreshed and is active, so long as there is no mention of F9 in any of your links, then they will all show as your domain name.

Hope I haven't made it as clear as mud Smiley

Cheers

Mark
N/A

SO I have set the nameservers. But I need to get force9 to move the domain to force9.. so i am still the person who owns the domain, and it is no longer with 123-reg.co.uk? So I can't keep it with them and dothis I need to move it, now does that mean it will cost me £1 a month extra to have it with force9, at the moment I paid about £6 for the domain so do I end up paying £1 extra for the internet a month?
N/A

NO NO NO. What you are doing is a "partial" host in that F9 host the domain but 123 stay as the tagholder. That way at renewal you are billed by 123 as opposed to F9 and you do not pay the £1 per month charge either.

YES YES YES you have to tell F9 that the domain is to be hosted on their servers. This can be done quite easily with the domain names tool (there is an easy help file) or it is probably best to phone F9 and ask them to do it for you if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

SO what I do is, leave the 123-reg Nameservers as they are which is force9.net etc.. and then I go to the domain part on force9 and transfer it over enter in my .co.uk domain and click submit and go from there
N/A

Yes that's right.
N/A

Replying again Ivan

Hi rogerdean,

Yes! sorry I know this does get a wee bit confusing true! OK lets untangle some of this stuff. Firstly you paid a £6 fee to 123-reg.co.uk for your new .co.uk domain name (and so you own this domain that is legally its your property).

Transfering your domain name into F9 so they host it for you is free.

**The only fee's here for the new (123-reg.co.uk) domain name are when your domain name comes due for renewal after 2 years normally, and this would be paid to 123-reg.co.uk (NOT F9).

**F9 charge a user £1 extra per month if they want to have a domain name and I believe this includes renewal fees too? But thats a seperate issue from this matter dont confuse them.

**No! you wont be paying anymore to F9 for transfering in and hosting your new domain name. Thats the free bit.

**To Summarise then: You still hold ownership of your domain name but F9 just host it for you. You only pay 123-reg for the renwal when it comes due.

**No! it wont cost you an extra £1 mthly to have it with F9 its free unless they have changed their policy.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

You can't transfer this domain inwards until your current domain host changes the IPS tag to FORCE9.

So I need to get 123-reg to change something? Or I wait then do something? So I can still do things through the control panel in 123-reg, now.. Just out of interest who does the web forwarding lol is it 123-reg and do I require web forwading to be enabled?
N/A

Found it and changed it, says allow 24 hours for NOMINET or something so not sure if I should just wait a while then try forwarding it inwards on the force9 domain options
N/A

Replying Re Domains Again Ivan

Hi rogerdean,

**123-reg have to change the iSP TAG from 123 to F9 before it will successfully transfer in as I understand this. You might be wise to contact 123 and make sure they understand what your doing.

**If you just wanted a redirection from one domain to another then its 123 who would need to set this up for you, & dont know if they would charge a fee for this or not!

**To Summerise again, 1) its 123-reg that are the REGISTRAND for your domain and they are who you purchased your domain from & they who you will renew through. 2) F9 will host your new domain name at no extra cost and the ISP tag is held on your behalf by F9 and so 123-reg have to point there domain information to the F9 name servers.

**NOMINET UK will send you a posh looking certificate in a few months telling you that you are the holder of this domain name.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator