cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watchdog programme on DVLA cockups

Alecto
Grafter

I find that a couple of weeks back, BBC's Watchdog programme featured some problems with the DVLA where people had sent in their old driving licence to get a new picture one. And the DVLA had sent the new licence with the wrong driving entitlements/groups of vehicles, such that a car driver was no longer entitled to drive a car, but an HGV instead, etc.
Then when people complained about this, the DVLA asked for proof of the deleted entitlement. But of course the only proof they would accept is the old licence, which they had received from the driver, then shredded when they issued the new one!

In some cases, the drivers had to resit the tests.

It was said that a photocopy of the licence was not accepted as proof, even when certified by a solicitor, and nothing I've heard gives any sensible way out of the situation. Sounds too barmy to be true, but it does seem to be the way it is.

The DVLA website simply has a statement saying that there isn't a problem.

Has anyone read about or come across a sensible way round this that will enable the driver to prove what classes of vehicle he could drive before the DVLA shredded his licence?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Calling DVLA you need a Common Sense Checkup ASAP!!!

Geoff, howcome you're around this late!!!
N/A

Apparently they keep your old licence for a month before they shred it.

They say you should keep a record of your class entitlements when you send your old one off, and check your new one upon receipt and if its incorrect return it straight away with a letter.

That way they can compare the two.

I think its called modern technology :roll:
Brickinit
Grafter

this isn't a new problem about 15 years ago i sent in my licence to have HGV 1 added and it came back without. as luck would have it, for the first time i had written down the pass certificate so was able to verify it.
bit nervous about next year as i need to have a med. and renew for the first time, never had a picture licence yet.
fingers crossed.
Alecto
Grafter

Geoff, howcome you're around this late!!!

A "friend" recorded "49 up" while I was away. We started to watch it last night and found a) it was unwatchable as her video machine is crap and the tape wouldn't track, and b) She'd missed one of the two programmes anyway and recorded something else.

Since it's a fascinating programme for us oldies, and only comes around once every 7 years, I shot to UK Nova straight away to see if I could get it from there before they wiped it off. It was still there, so that's 1Gb in peak time for me !. (or would have been if the network/Pn hadn't throttled it to 80 or 90k. I completed it this morning and it ran at 190k).

On the DVLA nonsense, my friend wants a picture licence, but is now terrified to send off his old one in case he has to retake his test! I wouldn't like to have to rely on the DVLA to find my licence within the shredding period if they got it wrong.

A thing I read this morning suggests saying you've lost the old one so you don't have to send it, then "finding" it if they get the new one wrong. Looks like the best answer so far.