Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Severe global virus attack!

dhumble
Grafter

Warning: Severe global virus attack!

Hello all,

There is no attachment in this e-mail so don't worry, this is not a virus attack itself! :-)

No, just a warning as I was bombarded by 13 unsolicited e-mail this morning and they tie in with a global news warning about a new, severe attack of e-mails trying to convince you that they contain a tantilizing screen saver.

It should go without saying that no one should open unsolicited attachments, especially with the .scr file extension, even from 'trusted' e-mail addresses.

OK, my experience this morning was uneventful. My ISP has good e-mail filtering and had removed all but one attachment, which my regularly updated anti-virus software protected me from during the e-mail download process.

All 13 e-mails contained the 'Win32.Yaha.E' worm, addressed from different e-mail addresses, different titles but all contained, not only english but, all Czech. One line was repeated in all, 'Agencija za informaticke i komunikacione usluge om'. I have entered this in to my e-mail filtering as an extra precaution.

In the time I have wrote this, another 18 have arrived! Do not open the attachments. In fact some software configurations *may* run the worm as soon as you open the e-mail so DON'T! Just delete it!

David Humble
dhumble@taurus2.plus.com
11 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Warning: Severe global virus attack!

> Hello all,
>
> There is no attachment in this e-mail so don't worry, this is not a virus attack itself! :-)
>
> No, just a warning as I was bombarded by 13 unsolicited e-mail this morning and they tie in with a global news warning about a new, severe attack of e-mails trying to convince you that they contain a tantilizing screen saver.
>
> It should go without saying that no one should open unsolicited attachments, especially with the .scr file extension, even from 'trusted' e-mail addresses.
>
> OK, my experience this morning was uneventful. My ISP has good e-mail filtering and had removed all but one attachment, which my regularly updated anti-virus software protected me from during the e-mail download process.
>
> All 13 e-mails contained the 'Win32.Yaha.E' worm, addressed from different e-mail addresses, different titles but all contained, not only english but, all Czech. One line was repeated in all, 'Agencija za informaticke i komunikacione usluge om'. I have entered this in to my e-mail filtering as an extra precaution.
>
> In the time I have wrote this, another 18 have arrived! Do not open the attachments. In fact some software configurations *may* run the worm as soon as you open the e-mail so DON'T! Just delete it!
>
> David Humble
> dhumble@taurus2.plus.com
>
Thanks for that
This may be silly but I havent found out how to delete e-mails in outlook express without having to click on them which opens them first.(I am not refering to attatchment just the e-mail)
Pam
N/A

> Thanks for that
> This may be silly but I havent found out how to delete e-mails in outlook express without having to click on them which opens them first.(I am not refering to attatchment just the e-mail)
> Pam
>

No it is not silly, I know exactly what you're saying, I'm not aware of a way of deleting e-mails that are already downloaded without having to click on them first. I would just mention a couple of points. You can use the "webmail" service to check e-mails, if you're suspicious of any, you can delete them before opening Outlook Express. Also with regard to the latter, I think a recent security fix has solved the "vulnerability" which allowed e-mails to "execute" when you click on them to preview them.
N/A

> > Thanks for that
> > This may be silly but I havent found out how to delete e-mails in outlook express without having to click on them which opens them first.(I am not refering to attatchment just the e-mail)
> > Pam

Pam I am using Outlook Express 6 but think it may work with most versions.Have you tried right clicking on the message which should bring up a list of options with delete as one of them.I just tried it to make sure and it works for me.

Ian.
N/A

I think a recent security fix has solved the "vulnerability" which allowed e-mails to "execute" when you click on them to preview them.

Or the simplist and best way,which is recommended is;if you have a later version of OE from about 5.1 upwards is to turn of the preview pane,it does have the inconvenience of you having to double click on the message to open it,but at least you know that nothing executable can be accidentaly opened.

Hope this helps

Ian.

N/A

> I think a recent security fix has solved the "vulnerability" which allowed e-mails to "execute" when you click on them to preview them.
>
> Or the simplist and best way,which is recommended is;if you have a later version of OE from about 5.1 upwards is to turn of the preview pane,it does have the inconvenience of you having to double click on the message to open it,but at least you know that nothing executable can be accidentaly opened.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ian.
>
>
> Thanks Ian its so obvious when you know !!:*

N/A

> > Thanks Ian its so obvious when you know !!:*

Happy to have been able to help.

Ian.

N/A

RE: preview pane

I unwittingly launched the Klez virus on my machine recently, just by clicking on a message once within Outlook Express to bring it up in the preview pane.

Fortunately, my anti-virus software stopped it from doing any damage, but it still managed to send itself to a few people in my address book.

Needless to say, I've turned off the preview pane now !

I'd be interested to know whether my recently installed, updated version of Outlook Express (Version 6) has definately overcome this vunerablilty ?
N/A

> You can use the "webmail" service to check e-mails, if you're suspicious of any, you can delete them before opening Outlook Express.

I must put in yet another plug for MailWasher - it's just the job for deleting spam etc., catching viruses & previewing your e-mails before you open them. It's free - but you can also pay and it's worth it!

Download it from www.mailwasher.net.

Tim
N/A

RE: preview pane

> I'd be interested to know whether my recently installed, updated version of Outlook Express (Version 6) has definately overcome this vunerablilty ?

I would not like to stake my next pay packet on it,but if you are refering to something that is automatic,I don't think so.But I have found that the combination of a turned off preview panel and the selection of "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" stops most things in thier tracks.I must admit that at times this can be a bit of a pain;if for example I recieve a fax2email I need to disable this feature to be able to read it,and it reduces my sisters e-mails which are sent in HTML format (she's with AOL) to plain text which is no great loss,and it will not allow the opening or saving anything with an ".exe" or ".html" a number of other file extensions open or run.Anything else usually gets pounced on by may anti-virus software.So in answer to your question I think the security features are there but if installed and run in the default mode OE is wide open,but can be made secure.If it makes you feel any better I have never used anything else other than OE since version 3.1 (I think it was) and have not got a "nasty" that can be attributed to it.If anyone knows any different to the apparent lack of automatic built in security features to V6.0 I would certainly be interested in hearing.But a hunt through my latest critical download would seem to indicate that an automatic rejection of say the "klez" worm/virus is not built into the default settings.

Ian.

N/A

> Download it from www.mailwasher.net.
>
> Tim
>

Got to agree with you on this Tim, great piece of software
tssk
Grafter

You could also try Incredimail... it also has a preview option built in, plus loads of other options.
http://www.incredimail.com/english/splash.html