Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WMV files

cannylad
Grafter

WMV files

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to view wmv video files.
I've tried windows media player but it says I need a licence and I have to pay to renew it. Surely there must be an easier way of watching wmv files.

Thanks
Tynesider
12 REPLIES
astarsolutions
Grafter

WMV files

wmv files play in media player; the one you have is obviously protected and you don't have a licence, you need to get this from the person who bought the media.
N/A

WMV copy write protection, Ivan

Hello Tynesider,

OK!! the WMV is another of those Microsoft file formats amongst the seemingly endless list of microsoft file types. (its a recognised Video File format which is infact entirely compatible with windows media player, infact WMV=windows media video at a guess).

Second very important point here is that both MIcrosoft and many video makers, creators & publishers such as the music industry & film industry i.e. Holliewood. Have now put copy write protection onto the actual file itself so unless you have the associated license and permissions to play the file you can download the file but cannot (not allowed too play or view it) view it.

In other words the WMV file you have isnt viewable as it has copy write protection upon it. I beleive the way it works is that some licenses can be on obtained online via an associated website but a fee has to be paid to open up or unlock the file itself. Dont know if that helps or not? But in general terms thats basically what you have fallen foul of. In other words if you still want to view the movie/video contained inside the file you will have to pay for that privilage.

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

WMV files

Hi,
Thanks,I thought it would be something like that.
The file I wanted to view is quite small so theres no way I am going to pay for it,I was just curious because I have seen a lot of them about.

Thanks for your help

Tynesider
N/A

WMV files

Hi Tynesider,

Microsoft & the music, movie industry have implemented this system of copywrite protection & licencing over digital material as a way to combat so much online piracy over music & movies. I have no idea how effective it really is, & I have no idea if anyone ever really pays for such content. But you can be sure its yet another method of Mircosoft trying to lock users into there software and an attempt to make money from content. The copywrite protection I beleive was introduced with MS Windows Media Player 10 but the idea itself has been around for a few years before WMP10.

**One can see the long term implications of such copywrite protection and content licencing in the broadband world of the future, because when ADSL hits the 8MB mark then internet TV and viewing movies online becomes more of a reality (as the Koreans can tell you! they have had 10MB's & above for some time now & I read they watch alot of movies & TV online).

Ivan
cannylad
Grafter

WMV files

Hi, Thanks for such a detailed explination,I won't be buying the licence thats for sure and now know to stay clear of the wmv files.
Thanks again for your trouble.
Cheers
Tynesider
N/A

WMV files

Hi Again,

Oh! yes Microsoft call this "Digital Rights Management" if you want the technical jargon for it (in Microsoft speak!!).

Were as if you actually buy a movie on DVD say at a store like HMV or Virgin or Amazon etc then there isnt an issue as far as I am aware the price you pay includes the copywrite. This means you have full permissions over it to view & use & listen to the DVD content (obviously you cannot or supposed NOT to make copies, & the movie or music cannot be sold on to someone else otherwise your in breach of the copywrite issues again).

**Obviously CD & DVD bootlegging is a massive global problem because both hardware & software exsist which allows someone with some technical skill to dupicate both DVD movies and music CD's. Car boot sales are a favourite place to sell such doggy stuff, most of it is rubbish quality though and only a few bootleggers have a high level of copying skill so the end product is any good from a quality stand point. In other words dont ever buy DVD copies from a car boot sale you'll be wasting your money otherwise IMO.

**I have explored in depth the technical methods that can be used to duplicate DVD movies & videos but I gave up after a while as the results were never as good as the real commercially produced product. In other words its a waste of time & effort & money and quicker & cheaper to go any buy the real DVD.

Ivan
N/A

WMV files

/me shrugs

install the codec to play it..

download vlc player to play it, or use some codec program to find out what codec its using to play it.

or .. get a linux livecd and play it using mplayer or vlc.

I see loads of these all the time. Just need the right piece of software to decode the info.
N/A

WMV files

Spink,

Your missing the point here, its NOT a codec problem its a digital rights i.e. a permissions problem. Even if he did downloaded the correct codec IT WONT play. As he doesnt have rights or permissions to view the content simple as that. Its the fangled Microsoft digital rights management & the only way around it is to buy a license which allows the user access to that specific content but you have to pay for it first.

Ivan
Trebor
Grafter

WMV files

I had the same problem recently when I had to re-install every thing on to my laptop from a backup.

Windows media player wouldn't let me play any of my legally bought music, even though it did before so I binned Windows media player that came with my copy of XP and installed an old version off the internet, end of problem Cheesy
N/A

WMV files

Hi Again,

The Microsoft Digital Rights Management issue only became a problem with Windows Media Player Version 10. I dont think it even exsisted before then?

MS worked hard in collaboration with the major movers & shakers in the music & movie industry in the USA to prevent users downloading movies & music for free when it is (was) copyrighted material. The digital rights management is MS attempt to stop users NOT paying for access to movie & music content and thats what this whole issue is about. i.e. making money :roll:

Ivan
Trebor
Grafter

WMV files

Slightly of topic here, but what the heck has it got to do with Microsoft, last time I looked Microsoft was a software company not a music company.

The music companies are big boys, they can look after them selves with out all pervading Microsoft getting involved. :roll:
N/A

WMV files

Ha!! BUT Microsoft and old Bille like to have fingers in every pie no matter what? They've probably already got in to bed with the music & movie industry microsoft being so big & all pervassive dont ya all now?

(AAAHheem!! anyone ever heard or seen Microsoft TV yet?? its big in the USA I believe?) So if it moves and they can make money from it thats ALL they care about i.e. the share price and their profits.

**Actually TBH I think the digital rights management trick went down like the titanic and I'd be gob smacked if anyone ever managed to make any money from it. Put it this way I wouldnt buy shares in it :roll: Shockedops: Cry

Ivan