cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIreless Networking and Windows XP SP2

N/A

Evening all,

Has anyone had any trouble with their wireless networking setup since installing Windows XP Service Pack 2?

My setup was fine until I installed the above, but now my speed test [by F9] is showing barely 300kbps whereas it used to be in the high 400 range.

Anyone any ideas (other than uninstalling SP2)?

Kind regards,
Franz.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Have you had a look at

Hi,

I think you might find something of relevance on MS site which relate to wireless technologies and SP2, I have included a link to a page that might be a good starting point.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsp2sec.mspx

**Bear in mind that SP2 is fairly new still and that an aweful lot of users wont be installing it yet and even more IT people will be holding back until SP2 is throughly tested to see what impact it might cause on business systems and networks.

**Its also worth bearing in mind that SP2 turns on the WinXP firewall by default even if you dont want this, this has been done in the name of increased security of course.

Hope this might be of some use?
Ivan
N/A

Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that I'd found the article about problems with wireless connections and SP2 (which is here in case anyone finds it useful http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870702&Product=).

I'd also turned off the XP Firewall as I have one on the Access Point anyway, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think I may have to revert to uninstalling XP2 and waiting until things "calm down" a little. Thanks for you efforts.

Kind regards,
Franz.
N/A

Fixed it! If this affects anyone else, it was simply a matter of rebooting the router (i.e. turn if off for a few minutes, then turn it back on).

Hope this helps someone else.

Kind regards,
Franz.
N/A

MS Service Pack2

Hello again,

From many years of experience of dealing with MS products and numerous versions of windows such as windows NT etc. I have concluded that NOT all service packs are well written, that some service packs for NT caused more problems than they were supposed to solve.

Personally I for one wont be installing WinXP service pack 2 for as long as I can put this off. If you read what alot of IT professionals say about SP2 they wont be installing it either until its been throughly tested to see exactly how it affects present servers,networks and desktops. Inother words SP2 might have bugs in it as well but this isnt proven though.

Of course Uncle Bill and co would all want us to download and install it ASAP or is this just more MS bloatware or a really useful service pack. Sometimes I think its a very thin line between one or the other.

**No! but in fairness I think the problem with SP2 is that some of the items that are included in it, are a major rewite to windowsXP Code and that might be part of whats causing problems. i.e. Its not a small incremental change or fix to certain problems, its a major code rewrite to some aspects.

Ivan Cool
N/A

Its funny, I have read lots about problems caused with SP2 but I havent experienced anything major myself.

The only thing it MIGHT be doing is by PC sometimes crashes the first couple of times I boot it up, it then boots up fine and can remain running for days. I have had a few runaway processes but its hard to tell if thats SP2 as all operating system do that from time to time due to issues in the applications themselves.

Someone said Doom 3 runs like crap on SP2, I can possibly agree with that but my PC was hardly running it perfectly before either. I dont play PC games that often so its not a problem.

I have found wireless networking to be HUGELY more stable on SP2 than it ever was before. I mean it actually WORKS! :roll:
N/A

Try shutting down the "Zero Wireless Confg" service , this was noted in the Plus Net Forums as fixing some people's problems.
N/A

I did a reinstall from a WinXP Pro SP2 installation disk and everything is fine now, so I dont think it was SP2 at fault there actually.