cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus software

N/A

Virus software

Hi Folks

I recently had to buy a new motherboard and installed Norton Internet Security 2005 as it had a 90 day evaluation periodon the installation disc. This period still has 30 days to go, but the anti spam has started marking every email as spam. I was seriously considering purchasing this software until this happened. I object to being told I can try something free for 90 days, then after 60 days this problem cuts in. When my 12 month licence reaches 11 months, it will probably start doing it again in an attempt to make me renew one month earlier every year and thus lose a month out of the subscription. Don't get me wrong, I don't object to being reminded to renew every time I switch on, but I think this is a little OTT.

As a result I am looking for recommendations for AV and firewall.

Cheers

Mark
39 REPLIES
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

I would highly recommend that you DONT fall for these over stuffed anti virus security firewall suites that seem to be all the fashion at the moment. However I am a firm believer that you should have the right tool for the right job and that single dedicated tools are always better than combined tools from past experience (many years in IT & computing and this rule of thumb has served me well I can tell you).

In this vein I do highly recommend Symantecs Basic NORTON Anti Virus product (norton anti virus 2005 I think its called and they do Pro version which is more expensive but the basic version is the best I think). Less complexity means less too go wrong.

**If you dont want to pay for an anti virus program I can also recommend the excellent freeware program called "AntiVir" its made by a german software company but dont let this put you off AntiVir is a very good program. http://www.free-av.com/

As for Firewalls I would highly recommend the freeware version of Zone Alarm I have been using ZA for over 5 years now and its rock solid and utterly reliable in my experience. You can download the free version of ZA from ZoneLabs website at http://www.zonelabs.com

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
orrery
Grafter

Virus software

I'd also agree on the ZoneAlarm firewall - excellent.

For antivirus, you might also try AVG antivirus - I've run it since throwing Norton out a couple of years ago, and all my kids run it too. Excellent and stable, with updates almost daily, and completely free from:

www.grisoft.com

regards, Ian Smith
deepfatfrier
Grafter

Virus software

IMO it all depends on what level of customisability (and setup effort) you want, especially in the firewall department. Personally when on Windows I always found ZoneAlarm to be good, but a little bloated, and even more so in the newer versions. I used Kerio Personal Firewall (v2.1.5, not the bloated v4 with almost no extra features), which is very lightweight but takes a little while to set up right.

On the antivirus front, I installed and uninstalled numerous antivirus programs, and never settled on one I liked by the time I decided to move to Linux. But whatever you do, listen to cyteck!! I installed Panda Antivirus Titanium Edition and wondered why my PC started running slowly. Turned out it was using in excess of 100MB of RAM...
N/A

Anti Virus and more Ivan

Hello Once Again,

Just to reassure you I only ever recommend products that I myself have direct experience of (have tried & tested) and have indpeth knowledge of. Yes! be abit careful when it comes to anti virus software because not only is there a massive range of packages to choose from. There are many confusing & completing claims about how good programs are and how they detect viruses etc.

**The main reason I recommend the Norton 2005 anti virus basic product is that not only can it scan your system but it also checks incoming emails & outgoing emails which is a very nice feature. Norton will also offer a small degree of actual protection when working on the internet as it will almost instantly tell you & warn you if any page is infected in anyway!!. Norton also has a free internet update service with updates each week.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Marteknet
Grafter

Re: Anti Virus and more Ivan

Norton also has a free internet update service with updates each week.

For more frequent updates go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html
I update every day as Norton update their signature files with new variants frequently.

For windows 2000 users here an interesting article on the built in firewall and info on set up and usage.
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mchugha/w2kfirewall.htm
N/A

The Intelligent Updater Link Ivan

Hi martek,

For more frequent updates go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html
I update every day as Norton update their signature files with new variants frequently

But are you sure this is for ordinary home AV users? I got the destinct impression that what the page concerned is about is updating mutiple business machines in a corporate environment Yes! daily but I'm still not convinced this is correct for ordinary AV product users. I NOT saying it wont work but am questioning if this applies to SOHO users thats all.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
orrery
Grafter

Virus software

AVG (for free) checks for updates daily!

regards, Ian Smith
Marteknet
Grafter

Re: The Intelligent Updater Link Ivan

I'm still not convinced this is correct for ordinary AV product users. I NOT saying it wont work but am questioning if this applies to SOHO users thats all.

It works, finds and updates my signature files every time. But please note that it only updates the signature files, all other files need updating via live update.

Norton even suggest that people needing more frequent updates use this and having in the past lost a complete system when only using the live update method I count myself as one who needs frequent updates to my anti-virus software. It's part of the service they provide but don't actually advertise much.

As for if it's "right" for my to be using this, Yes it is, as on the page it says....
"Norton AntiVirus 2004 for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Home/XP Pro
Norton AntiVirus 2005 for Windows 98/Me/2000/XP Home/XP Pro"

Please notice word "Home".
N/A

Daily updates on AV

Hi martek,

The word "home" as in XP Home & XP Pro is only given as a "guideline" for people (like IT support staff ) who are required perhaps as part of their job to update computers & workstations etc in a business I didnt see any explicit mention that this link or page is for home users or soho users.

**Fare enough if you want or need to update your AV product daily, glad it works for you.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Virus software

I installed Panda Antivirus Titanium Edition and wondered why my PC started running slowly. Turned out it was using in excess of 100MB of RAM...

Curiosity has got the better of me now. How would I know how much memory a programme "running in the background" consumes?

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Which programs use the most memory? Replying Ivan

Hi Mark,

This information should be possible to find, use the following in windows from either the "run" command on the start menu or alternatively open a DOS window (cmd.exe) & from the command prompt type the following syntax :-

c:\tasklist.exe /svc

This should report back a long list of programs running on your machine and show which program or process are consuming the most system resources inc system memory.

**Dont ask me how you do this in Linux as I have no idea but I'm sure linux will have an equivalent method.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Virus software

Hi Ivan

Tried that and got a "windows cannot find" error message. Is this the same as the information shown in the task manager, under tasks? If so, Explorer seems to be the biggest villain with 20,452k! How many k in a MB so I can try to work out these processes as thereare a couple in the 9000's.

Cheers

Mark
Marteknet
Grafter

Virus software

How many k in a MB

Hi Mark I think you will find it is 1024K to a MB.
N/A

Virus software

Thanks Martek, I did wonder. Does that mean a k is the same as a byte then?

Mark