cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Private Networks

N/A

Virtual Private Networks

Has anyone got their VPN setup yet and if so what operating systems are best to use. Well I have WIN XP-pro if that helps. Has anyone gone interactive and are there any limitations regarding VPN's??

Just would like to pic on someone who's feeling a bit brainy today.

Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Virtual Private Networks

I spent some time last week trying to get a vpn working for a company, it turned out that the router a netgear didnt actual support vpn. Having checked up a lot of routers dont support vpn, thay say they support pass through but still wont work as they dont pass some of the MS protocols.

We ended up using Terminal Server on win2k(XP has it built in as remote desktop connection). We found this to be brilliant. You dial the net with any ISP and then connect with the TS software the brilliant bit is if you do it on dial up once connected if the server or XP is on ADSL you can then surf at adsl speeds.

TS only send about 18k down the line as it only send screen refresh so its very fast even on a poor 20k dial up connection.

You only hae to forward one port on the router so its great. If you want to do VPN then there are two options you get a router which terminates the tunnel so in effect you connect router to router or you get one that has passthrough and the tunnel is terminated at the OS.

I spent a lot of time searching when I was trying to get the Netgear working and a lot of people are having problems with vpn.

Go for TS its great

> Has anyone got their VPN setup yet and if so what operating systems are best to use. Well I have WIN XP-pro if that helps. Has anyone gone interactive and are there any limitations regarding VPN's??
>
> Just would like to pic on someone who's feeling a bit brainy today.
>
> Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim

N/A

RE: Virtual Private Networks

Vpn should be a piece of cake as long as your firewall is not blocking it!

With XP all you do is enable passwords on your user accounts then set up an incomming VPN connection.

Routers do not need to support VPN unless you are going from Lan to Lan (router to router) if this is a requirement the Draytek Vigor range support this. The draytek also allows you to set up a vpn server, this allows you to log onto the network without the need to log on to a server

Avoid the LTP/IPSEC security as its a bit flakey and requres a bit more knowledge than standard PPTP!

Gooood Luuuuck