cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Mobile - Any good?

Midville
Grafter

Has anyone had a contract mobile phone with 'Virgin'............ are they any good?!?

I am lead to believe that they use the T mobile network. Any good or bad points would be helpful.

Just looking at getting a new mobile and there are some good offers with Virgin at this moment.

Thanks in advance.
17 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

I've got a couple of Virgin PAYG phones.
I got them because they had really good offers on the website, I'd used O2 and didn't like them, and everybody warned me off Orange (don't know why).

Very pleased with them, always get a good signal, no connection problems.

And dealing with their customer services has always been very good as well - they usually reply very quickly to emails and are very helpful - eg I transferred an O2 number in and they did it fine.

I'd use them again (and I see no reason why the conrtract bit should not be as good as the PAYG)
Community Veteran

I'm on virgin not a contract though, no complaints here only problems I've ever had with signal was up in the highlands of scotland, but managed to get one most places I went when up there. They do use the t-mobile network.

Another provider to consider is the easy group not sure of the precise web adress but i'm sure you'll get a link from easy.com
LiamM
Grafter

AFAIK however, easymobile charge you for topping up. Not a good thing.

I am an avid fan of O2. Been with them since I got my first phone about 5 or 6 years ago, it was the first WAP enabled phone on the market.

So far I've been through about 10 phones with them (I like to change all the time). I currently have two contracts with them, one running for nearly 2 years and one running for 3 months (i started a new contract just to get the Sony Ericsson K750i) and prior to that had a number of PAYG accounts.

Had 1 network problem which they sorted promptly by sending me a new SIM (arrived the next day).
Community Veteran

Used to be on O2 back when it was BTcellnet, after the name changed they kept putting the prices up so I left,
Midville
Grafter

Thanks for the info so far Cheesy
N/A

Can't comment on virgin, but i can highly reccomend Vodafone, especially if you're going on contract.
LiamM
Grafter

Vodafone contracts are a no go area for me. Compare them to any of the other operators and I bet whatever you like they'll be beaten.

And with most of their tarrifs, you get no inclusive texts as standard.
N/A

www.vodafone.co.uk/august

And you can change the 18month to 12, if you don't want 'stop the clock'
LiamM
Grafter

I laughed at Vodafones recent ad. Pay £1 a call and take your home tarrif abroad or something. I guess it's good if you're going to be making lots of very lengthly calls... but given that I can go anywhere in the world and call home for a fraction of that cost.. that doesn't sound too temptng.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

T-Mobile coverage in Liverpool is pretty dire. I used to have one for work, but they didn't last long when we couldn't get a signal in many city centre locations. That was a couple of years ago, so might have changed, but I can't really say much about anywhere else in the country.

Phil
Midville
Grafter

Thanks for the help.....finally gone for this offer which I think isnt too bad. 18 months I know but I dont really swap phones often.

http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk/index.php?&B[0][next][0]=&B[0][network]=virgin&B[0][make]=Sony%20E...
Alecto
Grafter

Looks very good - £270 total for the 18 months.

Don't know how Liam does it though - I keep a phone till it wears out!
Community Veteran

My first phone I got rid of within a year for a updated version of it, my second phone I kept until my dad offered me his old phone which was newer, and I've had that for a year or so now, I'd like one with a colour screen but can't be bothered to pay for one!
N/A

Virgin is ok generally but within the factory where i work i cannot get a signal (Birmingham based) and yet fellow co-workers on different networks get strong signals, so in that respect Virgin suck. Sad