cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video/audio conferencing (Netmeeting etc..)

N/A

I'm having problems using video conferencing programs, using my NATS Router, I'm sure there is a fairly simple way round this, but netmeeting uses so many ports & i can only forward individual ports on my cheapo ADSL router. And am not keen on using the DMZ method.
Anyone got any idea's?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Replying

Hi,
I think if you look through any of the documentation on Microsofts website with regard to netmeeting, you will find that this is a well known problem. Yes! I think you have almost answered your own question. Netmeeting as you say yourself uses quite a number of differing ports, whilst if this isnt bad enough with most kinds of firewalls and routers. If you add in on top NATS this really add's another layer of complexity that makes this very hard indeed. No! I'm not saying this isnt possible but that it is extremely ambitious and I wouldnt know how to achieve your end goal.

I think the NATS is the real stumbling block here? If it was just a question of allowing certain ports access then things might be a whole lot easier. I dont think there are any easy answers to this one myself.

Ivan
N/A

Thanks for the info, i'm aware i'm up against a problem. Some webcam software allows you to select the ports used, which would allow me to redirect those ports using my router, but they seem to offer poor quality & or large delay.
I'll post any info i find!
cheers
N/A

if your router supports the new UPNP system which allows for dynamic port opening as and when a app requests it, you could simpily tun this on, all routers i have seen with the option already have netmeeting preconfigured,

only other options i can think of you seem to have already thought of (DMZ/Port mappings)

Darren