cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor performance from Dabs PTI conexant Router PAE CE81

N/A

Cry

i'm not topping dual isdn speed with my downloads and if i dont use usb from my w2k machine i get either very very long pauses or nothing at all from webpages.

i've tried some tweaks but am getting this trouble on the other machine connected via the switch.

has anyone got any ideas? Cry

MTU on the router set at 1452 and MSS at 1412,
MTU on both machines for all nic's at 1452 as well
32 REPLIES
N/A

Re: ISDN?

Hi,
You would need to explain your set-up for the ISDN a little further for me to get a better idea of how your connecting to the internet?

Its this bonded ISDN (i.e. using x2 channels at the same time giving you 128K bandwidth?) You dont say what your USB hardware is for? (or perhaps I so dumb that I'm missing something here?).

**I doubte your problems are with the MTU settings at all.

**You need to try and keep things as simple as possible otherwise it becomes harder and harder to see the wood from the tree's so too speak and this makes problem solving & resolving much harder. Try and take a step backwards from the issues, try and see if its possible to look at how the problems started, when did they start? often problems can result from some new program or utility that was installed or even a new piece of hardware. Or have you always had similar problems on this set-up but its just that suddenly its become really dire, to the point that it now needs sorting out,etc,etc.

Ivan
N/A

How is the router configured?

Hi Again,
Can you tell me how your router is physically connected up, and secondly have you run the managment software for the router as it is possible that some stray setting needs to be adjusted, set correctly or changed. I'm also wondering what settings have been given for the various TCP/IP protocols & services used by your router. What ports your using, are you using something like NATS or is it setup as non NATS, are you using a DHCP server on the router,etc.

Have you set both the internal & external interfaces correctly, and there associated IP address, subnet masks,etc. Just some thoughts & things to check if you havent already done so?

Ivan
N/A

sorry i didn't explain myself fully, long day

i've got a 512k adsl account and from the speed tests its not getting above dual isdn speeds at the minute

the way im hooked up is via the dabvalue conexant router... PTI PAE-CE81

while pings and dns are fine, throughput and possibly loss / seconds worth of latency is common unless i connect directly to the router using its usb port.

even with the usb its not reaching 512k speeds.

i've been advised on the usenet to try it directly in the master socket,
atm i've got it connected via a extention reel (just need to re-punch the cables where isdn was) into a bt > rj11 into the filter into the master socket with all the other phones in the phone socket on the filter.

is there anything else you need to know?
N/A

Re: How is the router configured?

Hi Again,
Can you tell me how your router is physically connected up,
hope the above post explains clear enough
and secondly have you run the managment software for the router
yep
as it is possible that some stray setting needs to be adjusted,
aye i know, little buggers set correctly or changed. I'm also wondering what settings have been given for the various TCP/IP protocols & services used by your router.
err apart from changing mtu and mss sizes not a lot, did input the static ip
What ports your using, are you using something like NATS or is it setup as non NATS,
dynamic napt
are you using a DHCP server on the router,etc.
yep using the dhcp server

Have you set both the internal & external interfaces correctly, and there associated IP address, subnet masks,etc. Just some thoughts & things to check if you havent already done so?
i've not gone through the routing table extensivly yet but i'll bare it in mind that the f9 dhcp server settings may have faffed up between sending and the router inputing them
Ivan
N/A

Reply to your last

Hi,

I've just read your last thread, to be honest with you what still comes to mind here is 1) have you had your phone line checked by BT for noise levels on the line as this can cause problems. 2) Depending on how your router is set-up and on your network (and the router itself) some have x2 IP address's one on the internal interface & the second IP on the external public facing internet side of things.

* Have you tried setting up the NATs to be manual rather than dynamic as this might give you more control over what service use's which ports,etc.

*Do you really need the router too work as a DHCP server? i.e. unless you have an internal network for which your machines need to be assigned an IP address, this might make life more complex.

*Again I think your going to have to check numerious settings, systematically one by one until to get to the bottom of this issue, it's nothing that jumps out at me as simple or obvious from what you've described so far.

*However, if all is working with the USB connection but not with the ordinary CAT5 cabling & NIC's and ISDN then I would suggest that you look very carefully at a) you do have the correct NIC drivers installed & check your networking settings with a fine tooth comb, b) you have the correct drivers installed for your ISDN connections, c) double check all the router settings again (even write them down if unsure & Yes! boring as it sounds go back to the makers documentation and check their settings again as you never know what you might have missed, mis-set by accident, or forgotten to add or ammend a setting (you'll kick yourself if you've missed something simple, that sort of thing has happend to me many times).

Ivan
N/A

Another thought

Hi Again,

Try without the extension reel this might be a real problem too it could be a major cause of loss of quality connectivity (again you'll need to test with & without the reel).

Check all your connectors (especially if your making up your own cables)

**Do bear in mind that with ADSL as with any network you will never actually get the full 512K bandwidth this is only a theoretic max bandwidth/speed. Remember that with TCP/IP this protocol incurrs a connection overhead that insures the quality of the connection and this always takes some of the bandwidth too (upto about 12K roughly sometimes more though).

Ivan
N/A

Speed Differences on USB and Ethernet

while pings and dns are fine, throughput and possibly loss / seconds worth of latency is common unless i connect directly to the router using its usb port.

even with the usb its not reaching 512k speeds.

It would be interesting to get a feel for the differences being encountered here.

What values do you get using the Bandwidth Speed Test (available from Connection settings) for both USB and Ethernet, and conducted as close to the same time as possible?

What ping values do you get for, say, www.bbc.co.uk, again for both USB and Ethernet connection?

Can you cut and paste the output from this command, for both USB and Ethernet connection: tracert www.bbc.co.uk.

Finally, can you cut and paste the output from this command, when your PC is Ethernet attached: ipconfig /all.

As far as I can see, your modem is equivalent to the Conexant AMX-61E. Some guidance on configuring it is available in the adslguide review.
N/A

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.121]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms pth-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.11]
3 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw3.plus.net [212.159.1.2]
4 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms gi5-0.pth-gw1.telehouse.core.plus.net [195.166.1
29.21]
5 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms rt-linx-a.thdo.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
6 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms www21.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.121]

using usb, also using usb

Results from broadband speed test recorded on 19 July 2003 at 01:42:15.

Your Connection
Direction
Actual Speed
True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 137 Kbps (17.1 KB/sec) 147 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 248 Kbps (31.0 KB/sec) 267 Kbps (inc. overheads)

anyone notice upload is fine... but download :shock:
N/A

ADSL Performance on USB and Ethernet

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.121]

1 * * * Request timed out.

using usb, also using usb

The time-out on the first hop of your tracert seems strange. I've no idea if this is typical for USB connections -- surely not! -- and I'm hoping Ivan / cyteck can shed some light on this. Was your ADSL connection already up when you started this test?

This is what I get. The first couple of hops are within my own home network, and I've disguised the hostnames and IP addresses.

>tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.224.112]

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms task's inner.route at home [a.b.c.d]
    2 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms task's adsl.router at home [w.x.y.z]
    3 19 ms 18 ms 17 ms pth-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.11]
    4 19 ms 18 ms 17 ms gi1-2.vlan3.pth-gw4.plus.net [212.159.1.3]
    5 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms gi5-0.pth-gw1.telehouse.core.plus.net [195.166.1
    29.21]
    6 21 ms 20 ms 30 ms rt-linx-a.thdo.bbc.co.uk [195.66.224.103]
    7 20 ms 18 ms 18 ms www12.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.112]

Trace complete.

Your speed test results, in particular the download speed, are also not what you should be getting.

I look forward to seeing your Ethernet results!
N/A

the first hop i think is the router itself,
i'll do an ethernet test later on today,
when i use it the difference i find is i get second or 2 delays
N/A

yeap the adsl connection was already up, still fiddling but nothing seems to improve it Cry
N/A

Strange Routing results from trace

Hi,

I have just seen the results from your trace route (pasted results above) What seems strange to me is that I would NOT expect too see your internal devices shown in this trace. i.e the internal devices xxx.router and xxx.network.

The first item in such a trace would normally be the first hop,which should be next nearest networked device OUTside your own home network,for example mine would be an F9 router or server. or perhaps F9's DNS servers.

**As you why this is happening in harder to reach (ie: the root cause),sorry have to shoot off (time limited to talk more)

Ivan
N/A

Re: Strange Routing results from trace

I have just seen the results from your trace route (pasted results above) What seems strange to me is that I would NOT expect too see your internal devices shown in this trace...

The first item in such a trace would normally be the first hop... for example mine would be an F9 router or server. or perhaps F9's DNS servers.

Cyteck: what you say makes sense -- for a USB-connected ADSL modem (which is what I understand the trace to represent) the first hop is from the modem to Force9's network. So the 1 * * * Request timed out entry should not be there at all. Entry 2 should have been the first one.

So what's causing the first line?
N/A

from what i can tell the usb port is really a usb network adapter...
...and then that gets pumped through the router

i've been able to ping it since reseting it to defaults and disabling nat (until its working :roll: )
waiting for a woosh test again