cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN via Broadband

N/A

VPN via Broadband

F9 broadband is working brilliantly for Internet and e-mail, but I can't connect to my employer's VPN. Can anyone help? My router advertises that it has "VPN passthrough" protocol (is this relevant?), but I can't "ping" the VPN server.

Do I need to configure the router? I only have the basic (£18.99 per month) service - is this sigificant??

Thanks - Dave Willis, Solihull
8 REPLIES
N/A

VPN via Broadband

I've found that most corporate VPN servers will not respond to a ping! It's a security feature!!

You may need to configure your router - which one are you using?

Neil
N/A

Just a thought on VPN

Hi,
From what I know about VPN's, this technology uses the internet as an intermmediary (medium across which data travels) but what makes it different from other forms of internet access is that it forms a secure pipe or connection across the public network (internet).

I think the most important part for yourself is to find out from your employers IT dept if their VPN server will accept "inbound or incoming" VPN connections, as they might not? or might require some form of special configuration/s to allow your connection (from your PC or laptop to your employers network).

**The inbound VPN to your employers network might require that you only use a dedicated IP (internet address) for security purposes. Go and talk to your IT people if you havent already? I'm sure they wont mind you asking any questions about this.

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

VPN via Broadband

Thanks for the replies so far. There shouldn't be any problem at my employer's end, since (i) I can already connect via 56k modem, and (ii) other colleagues have no problem via their ADSL.

My "box" is a Conexant Ethernet/USB Modem Router, which sits in the loft between the line and my network hub. My own network pc's have fixed local IP addresses, but I've set up the DCHP server for the employer's laptop.

Any further ideas will be welcome - thanks, Dave.
N/A

DHCP?

Hi,

Perhaps the DHCP server assigning an IP address to your laptop is part of the problem. The thought I had when reading your last post is that perhaps the VPN connection requires a fixed IP.

I wonder if you could ask other people i.e. work friends,mates who are successfully using a VPN connection to your employers network, if you could have a look at the settings they are using. I'm sure if you did this carefully then you would get an idea of what your missing? just a thought!

Ivan
N/A

VPN via Broadband

I have heard tell that VPNs don't work with routing out of the box. You may have to set up custom port-forwarding, although I cannot tell you what settings you'd need to use and you'd be limited to using the computer the ports are forwarded to in your LAN.

Sorry I can't be more help.

John Brodhurst
N/A

Further thoughts on VPN's

Hi,

No! I still stick to what I was saying before, I dont think the problem here has anything to do with the connection type (i.e. Modem dialup or broadband as you can use VPN's with either technology). I do however think it has to do with security issues, you may find that you have to use a specfic fixed IP address inorder to make a VPN connection to your employers network.

Secondly the routers VPN pass through should be enabled (i.e.switched on or allowing through VPN connections) so you might need to check that this is the case. Also you might need to check with your employers IT people which ports they use for inbound VPN connections.

**Does your router also have a firewall built in (i.e. has both firewall & router) if so a firewall also has to allow permission for VPN connections. Firewalls can block VPN connections bear this in mind.

**Also go back and talk to your employers IT people I would be most suprised if they would be of help to you in trying to sort this out.

**Try to use a fixed IP address instead of the DHCP for your laptop, keep things a simple as possible (unless your employers specificaly says you should use a DHCP server or that your VPN (laptop) should be assigned an IP via your employers DHCP server inorder to form a VPN connection (this is possible?).

Ivan
N/A

Sorted!

As suggested, I found and conferred with colleagues who could successfully get connected. Finally I found that the Contivity client on my laptop lacked the Group ID and Password required in addition to the user details.

Now everything works ok, with DCHP, and I'm a happy bunny. Now, anyone know how to close / delete a discussion strand here??

Dave
N/A

VPN via Broadband

Now, anyone know how to close / delete a discussion strand here?Huh

Don't write anything more in it!! Smiley