cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN through belkinrouter to windows 2003 small business serv

N/A

we currently have the small business windows server2003 with a belkin fsd7630 4a attached we have a static ip from f9 which i believe should allow me to create a remote secure connection into the small business server through the belkin unit (is this the case).

as you can see a bit of a novice and unfortunately we don ot have a it department so unable to ask anyone about it

the laptop that is the mobile user is a member of the server domain and has been granted all accces permisions, and has had connection manager down loaded but i just cannot get it to connect to it at all.

do i need to put the IP addres of the laptop in the VPN centre allowed lists

Please help what am i doing wrong Any ideas
contact brent@msidirect.co.uk
6 REPLIES
N/A

Belkin Router & VPN Ivan

Hello,

OK, here are some ideas or pointers:- 1) be aware that small business windows 2003 server is NOT the same as the full blown Microsoft Windows 2003 Server. Unfortunately, you will probably find that some features might have been modified or are missing and other features added. MS have been doing this for years with small business server ever since NT 4 and frankly its a total and utter pain because even amongst IT professionals supporting small business server is hard & there are few professional who really know this product well (from past experience, but having said that dont let that put you off as small business server is still a good product despite this).

Question? Have you downloaded the user manual for this router, I just had a look and there is a PDF manual available for downloading & x1 firmware update too.

Manual Here

**From what you've posted above I think the problem you have is more related to your routers actual configuration. I think you have to enable VPN pass through on your belkin router.

**Are you using NAT or NON NAT configurations? If your using NAT ( thats network address translation) then that might have a bearing on the problem.

**VPN (virtual private networking) uses or requires specific ports to be used or enabled so the secure connections can be formed. But different routers & products seem to use different port numbers. You need to find out if you can what port number VPN requires on your Belkin router.

**Stick to static IP address with this VPN process and this should make life easier for you. Does your router have a DHCP server builtin? & how about a Firewall builtin also?

**What is the name & make & version of the VPN client you are trying to use with your laptop?

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User[/url]
N/A

Setup a Virtual Server,Ivan

Hello Again,

OK I downloaded a copy of the PDF file manual and I think you will find the answers on the pages towards to end of the guide, on pages 48 to 50 ish. I think the answer to your questions Re: VPN might involve setting up the Belkin Routers Virtual server features this will allow specific calls from external clients or specific applications through the router and allows specific ports for specific services ie.VPN or specific applications such as a VPN client program.

**Definately recommend you download the PDF manual from the Belkin site but if you have problems let me know and I can email you a copy but it is 3.5MB's in size (so not much good over a dialup connection).

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

sorry about the delay yes i have downloaded the recent firmware for the belkin router .
with regards to the configuration of the router i have enabled various ports for vPn access .

when you say stick to static ip with the vpn process is this in regards to the router or the remote access policy of the business server.

the router does have a DHCP server within and it is enabled with regards to the nat fuction does this require us to use a static ip for each PC

still having touble every time i try to connect from my home pc into the office network it says error code 800 that vpn unavailable.

thanks brent
N/A

There are a number of things to take into consideration here.

1. You need to make sure you are connecting to the external interface on the vpn port ok. You can check the logs on the router, or see on the server if requests are hitting it.

2. If this is not working, you need to open the ports on your router, and create a static rule to forward the vpn connection to the windows box.

3. On the windows box, you will need to configure ISA server (I assume this is what you are using as it is SBS) so that it allows the connections in

4. Make sure that you have opened up the ports on the isa server and configured the RAS policy so people can dial in.

Are you using ptp, l2tp? Are you using ipsec at all ?

If you get really stuck, you will need to look at the traffic being passed to and from the laptop and the router, then from the router to the windows server. Use a TCP packet tracer, or something like ethereal to do a TCP session dump and see if the packets go to the correct machines.
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello Again,

YEP! I'd go with what splink has suggested, these are good pointers

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
gjackson

Also make sure that you are only using on DHCP either SB 2003 one and disable the router one or use the one with the router Also make sure you only use only one firewall which comes with sb2003 SBS2003 will use UpNp and will config the fire wall for you .so that only the ports that are needed are used. or use the one with the router. I have just installesd SB 2003 and have no problems. all VPN and secure web Sites email all work. also if possible use two network cards as this makes things alot more secure and easy to config.
Gary