cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN With Linksys Router....

N/A

VPN With Linksys Router....

Hi there,

Wanted to setup a VPN in which i can log into VPN @ home from uni, i presume this is possible!

Has anyone tried this with a Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) by any chance? If so advice would be appreciated... If not has anyone setup up a VPN?

I have a static ip so i presume i would log into that IP and then have access to the LAN on that Ip @ home?

Any help would be brill!

Many Thanks

Pedro Martins
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: VPN With Linksys Router....

Thats a bit of an open ended question Pedro!

There is no problem about running VPN connections using F9 - either directly into a homebased server that handles them - or via IPSEC if you have the correct equipment on either end.

Both methods have slightly different effects when you implement them - "VPN'ing into the home network" will assign you a "home" IP address - whereas IPSEC will give you a truly routed network where your IP address at the remote end remains constant throughout the process.

I have no personal experience of the Linksys Router but it works fine with the Zyxel and with the DLINK routers which are just about as cheap as you can get so I would expect Linksys will do just fine.

Regards

Peter

> Hi there,
>
> Wanted to setup a VPN in which i can log into VPN @ home from uni, i presume this is possible!
>
> Has anyone tried this with a Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) by any chance? If so advice would be appreciated... If not has anyone setup up a VPN?
>
> I have a static ip so i presume i would log into that IP and then have access to the LAN on that Ip @ home?
>
> Any help would be brill!
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Pedro Martins

N/A

RE: VPN With Linksys Router....

VPN's can use IPSEC, as stated its all down to your equipment, and config.

IPSec is a framework of open standards developed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
IPSec provides security for transmission of sensitive information over unprotected networks such as the Internet. IPSec acts at the network layer, protecting and authenticating IP packets between participating IPSec devices ("peers"), such as Cisco routers.
IPSec provides the following network security services. These services are optional. In general, local security policy will dictate the use of one or more of these services:
Data Confidentiality—The IPSec sender can encrypt packets before transmitting them across a network.
Data Integrity—The IPSec receiver can authenticate packets sent by the IPSec sender to ensure that the data has not been altered during transmission.
Data Origin Authentication—The IPSec receiver can authenticate the source of the IPSec packets sent. This service is dependent upon the data integrity service.
Anti-Replay—The IPSec receiver can detect and reject replayed packets.
With IPSec, data can be transmitted across a public network without fear of observation, modification, or spoofing. This enables applications such as virtual private networks (VPNs), including intranets, extranets, and remote user access.

> Thats a bit of an open ended question Pedro!
>
> There is no problem about running VPN connections using F9 - either directly into a homebased server that handles them - or via IPSEC if you have the correct equipment on either end.
>
> Both methods have slightly different effects when you implement them - "VPN'ing into the home network" will assign you a "home" IP address - whereas IPSEC will give you a truly routed network where your IP address at the remote end remains constant throughout the process.
>
> I have no personal experience of the Linksys Router but it works fine with the Zyxel and with the DLINK routers which are just about as cheap as you can get so I would expect Linksys will do just fine.
>
> Regards
>
> Peter
>
>
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Wanted to setup a VPN in which i can log into VPN @ home from uni, i presume this is possible!
> >
> > Has anyone tried this with a Linksys Router (BEFW11S4) by any chance? If so advice would be appreciated... If not has anyone setup up a VPN?
> >
> > I have a static ip so i presume i would log into that IP and then have access to the LAN on that Ip @ home?
> >
> > Any help would be brill!
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Pedro Martins
>
>

--