cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIRUS ATTACK! What can be done?

N/A

Force9 Users!

On arriving at my offices on Tuesday I was to find my computers at work riddled with viruses via email. All seem to be coming from addresses associated with force9 accounts. Each PC receives approx 50 emails a day containing viruses which luckily we have Norton AV to protect us.

Can Force9 do anything about these viruses that are being passed onto us? I thought Force9 could eliminate viruses before passing them on to their paying customers?
7 REPLIES
slev
Grafter

Hi

Do you have the virus protection enabled on your account ? ( look in the My Account Deatils area on the left )

I have looked at the business packages and antivirus is included within the features.

Regards

Ian
N/A

F9 Anti Virus & Anti Spam services

Hi,

This is just a follow on from what Ian has just said, I have the anti virus & anti spam with my new Broadband Premium F9 Account and I suggest if your account has this service which it sounds like it does make sure you enbale the service ASAP!! The service has already picked up numerous virus ridden spam sent to me yesturday & this morning.

Ivan
N/A

Hi

Thanks for the above guys.....I have the ADSL 1000 Office Router Starter Kit purchased 3 years ago costing 55.00 a month. Is this the same as the Broadband Premier account costing 54.99?

Thanks
N/A

The best thing to do in this instance is have an internal smtp relay, which scans all emails for viruses before they hit your email client. There are a lot of products out there which do this, from dedicated boxes like Ironport, or something like AVG or sophos which supply an smtp filter for a cost. There are also other products like Mimesweeper, which you can install on windows boxes to protect your network. However, this is probably a little bit of an overkill, especially if force9 virus checking is active.

I use a unix smtp server which looks at the headers and body of an email, and based on rule sets, informs me, and deletes the email, or stores it and allows me to download to an email client if I want. This is quite good, as 99.9% of the viruses I get are directed at outlook and outlook express, so they have no effect on my unix box.

I have used mimesweeper before, and also surfcontrol's product along with Ironport - just depends if you want to spend any money or not.

One thing is for sure, having email being sent directly to your main email server where people log into to get their email, without having it filtered first, is not a good idea.

Also where possible, put the smtp filter on another subnet, and dont allow broadcast traffic from the dmz subnet to your internal lan, this will block some kind of viruses which use broadcast as an attack method.
N/A

Layers of pretection

Hi,

I agree strongly with what spink has said and just an additional comment really, having force9 anti spam & anti virus services enabled on your account definately does give you an additional layer of protection against both spammers & virus ridden mail.

**Another product that might be worth a look at is Mailwasher server (although I've not used the server version) but the client version is excellent and catches both virus ridden mail and spam and flaggs them up so you can delete the nasties off the server itself. I've no doubte that the server version would be pretty good too having been written by Nick Bolton who created the orginal mailwasher.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------------
F9 / FOL Forum Moderator
Running F9 Broadband Premium 2MB's
N/A

Thanks, but firstly.......

Is my account a Business premier account?? I have ADSL Office 1000(basically 1mb broadband account, business at the time) paying 55.00 per month....I was going to upgrade but there does'nt seem much point if I already have it....also if I do have a businness prem account I dont have the email/spam as options to enable, making me think I dont have a business acc.

Should I upgrade to a more recent package?
slev
Grafter

Hi Crownville

Give the Customer Services a call on 0845 1400250 and see what options are available to you to change your product to one with virus protection.

They will be able to talk you through any options that you may need including any upgrades to newer products.

Regards

Ian