cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB Programming

N/A

VB Programming

Ok - heres the craic.

I can blag my way through access without using modules - and have done some basoc C programming before so ...

now i want to learn VB - any ideas where i should start as ultimately i want to be able to programme contact management and billing systems for a friend's and my business.

Now i have heard mentioned VB 6 and also dot net?

Whats the difference - what should i do from here.

either reply or mail me chris@chrisshaw.plus.com

Cheers - Chris
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: VB Programming

> Ok - heres the craic.
>
> I can blag my way through access without using modules - and have done some basoc C programming before so ...
>
> now i want to learn VB - any ideas where i should start as ultimately i want to be able to programme contact management and billing systems for a friend's and my business.
>
> Now i have heard mentioned VB 6 and also dot net?
>
> Whats the difference - what should i do from here.
>
> either reply or mail me chris@chrisshaw.plus.com
>
> Cheers - Chris
>

Chris,

My advice to you would be to take it one step at a time, if you can get by in access, you should start by building your app using access forms and tables, when you put buttons and other stuff on the forms, you will be able to see what VBA code the wizard is creating and can then go and change it to suit what you want to do.

As for the VB, this will be easy to pick up as it is the samer as VBA, saying this, you will be able to do anything you need to using Access VBA.

Hope this helps.

Bill
N/A

Firstly you want to decided what your aim is going to be you mention a contact and billing system is that going to be a stand alone app and for how many users?
You could do that on a webserver with Mysql and PHP or a webserver and coldfusion and mysql or MS sql2k. There are more option of coarse the main diffrence is that these option dont need VB (but they could use it) but php or coldfusion and run on a webserver with information held centraly instead of a Access file held localy.

VB is now old but still good it has been taken over by .net and most of the vb wont run on .net. The future at the moment looks like .net or java so it would be better learning .net

For what you want to do there are other things like Clarion which could build your app in 2 hours from start to finish as it has a built in generator and you answer basic question and design the screens and bang its done.

Generaly it cheaper to get a prog off the shelf unless you enjoy DIY

> Ok - heres the craic.
>
> I can blag my way through access without using modules - and have done some basoc C programming before so ...
>
> now i want to learn VB - any ideas where i should start as ultimately i want to be able to programme contact management and billing systems for a friend's and my business.
>
> Now i have heard mentioned VB 6 and also dot net?
>
> Whats the difference - what should i do from here.
>
> either reply or mail me chris@chrisshaw.plus.com
>
> Cheers - Chris
>

N/A

Thanks for the replies. I guess i should have clarified my aim a little better - I currently work for a large Management Consultancy and there is quite a lot of requests for people with basic VB skills (some are VB.net? - presume this is what you mentioned and i presume these requests will increase) - on the side I have a small business that i am just starting up.

I would like to do the contact management and billing for my friends business and ultimately customise it for my own. If this is easier using clarion then I may well look into this option. I dont expect to be spoon fed info but can you give me an outline at what it is good at - and not so good at, as you can never believe everything you read on developers sites. Or point me in the right direction.

The user base for the piece of software mentioned earlier is very small - probably only one user at a time *BUT* this could increase.

So, The options you mentioned I am looking into but in the meantime i think i will have to learn vb.net - now i just have to get hold of it.

Cheers - Chris

> Firstly you want to decided what your aim is going to be you mention a contact and billing system is that going to be a stand alone app and for how many users?
> You could do that on a webserver with Mysql and PHP or a webserver and coldfusion and mysql or MS sql2k. There are more option of coarse the main diffrence is that these option dont need VB (but they could use it) but php or coldfusion and run on a webserver with information held centraly instead of a Access file held localy.
>
> VB is now old but still good it has been taken over by .net and most of the vb wont run on .net. The future at the moment looks like .net or java so it would be better learning .net
>
> For what you want to do there are other things like Clarion which could build your app in 2 hours from start to finish as it has a built in generator and you answer basic question and design the screens and bang its done.

N/A

Take a look here

http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/tour/section9/createdefaultpage.aspx

its not .net but its free and gives you a nice intro into it there is a free download.
The key thing is if you use access or a stand alone db then it puts file locks on if more than one user which causes problems sql doesnt have that problem and everything is going that way be it .net or php If you can do html then coldfusion is great as it does everything and uses taggs just like html, I think you can get a free demo from Macromedias site.

If you want .net look for the MS software pack you get win2k, 98 and loads of stuff for very little money.

> Thanks for the replies. I guess i should have clarified my aim a little better - I currently work for a large Management Consultancy and there is quite a lot of requests for people with basic VB skills (some are VB.net? - presume this is what you mentioned and i presume these requests will increase) - on the side I have a small business that i am just starting up.
>
> I would like to do the contact management and billing for my friends business and ultimately customise it for my own. If this is easier using clarion then I may well look into this option. I dont expect to be spoon fed info but can you give me an outline at what it is good at - and not so good at, as you can never believe everything you read on developers sites. Or point me in the right direction.
>
> The user base for the piece of software mentioned earlier is very small - probably only one user at a time *BUT* this could increase.
>
>
> So, The options you mentioned I am looking into but in the meantime i think i will have to learn vb.net - now i just have to get hold of it.
>
> Cheers - Chris
>
>
> > Firstly you want to decided what your aim is going to be you mention a contact and billing system is that going to be a stand alone app and for how many users?
> > You could do that on a webserver with Mysql and PHP or a webserver and coldfusion and mysql or MS sql2k. There are more option of coarse the main diffrence is that these option dont need VB (but they could use it) but php or coldfusion and run on a webserver with information held centraly instead of a Access file held localy.
> >
> > VB is now old but still good it has been taken over by .net and most of the vb wont run on .net. The future at the moment looks like .net or java so it would be better learning .net
> >
> > For what you want to do there are other things like Clarion which could build your app in 2 hours from start to finish as it has a built in generator and you answer basic question and design the screens and bang its done.
>
>
>