cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my webspace for my domain and subdomains

N/A

Have posted here for help as I am getting nowhere with FOL support and thought others may have an idea as how I can implement my requirement. I have also searched the discussion forums and have yet to find a solution.

FOL hosts my domain and I want to set up a subdomain for a member of my family. So what I want to do is when the subdomain is entered in the browser address bar it will go to a sub-directory under my home website directory and run index.htm. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find an answer via DNS records as suggested by FOL support. DNS records settings I have tried are:

subdom CNAME dom.co.uk.
subdom.dom.co.uk CNAME dom.co.uk.
www.subdom.dom.co.uk CNAME dom.co.uk.

From the above I do not get a 404 but a web site not found message when I enter www.subdom.dom.co.uk in the browser. FYI - I have waited well over 4 hours for DNS update to propogate. Using ping shows that the subdomain URL is not recognised whereas the domain name is. This was a first pass attempt to see if I could point the subdomain to my webspace.

So any ideas as to how I could support the subdomain out of my webspace would be grately appreciated, even if I had to put a redirect index.htm in the home directory for my webspace.

Thanks
Mark
4 REPLIES
N/A

I'm not 100% on this as I only use sub domains to piont to my home pc, but I think I saw somewere that the right field has to be hompages.free-online.net

so it would be

subdom cname homepages.free-online.net.

Don't forget the trailing dot on homepages

Platty
N/A

Platty,

Have tried what you have suggested but to no avail, as follows:

megan CNAME homepages.free-online.net.

and still get The Web site cannot be found.

Mark
N/A

Update: I have set up a DNS record megan CNAME homepages.free-online.net and when type the subdomain in http://megan.binny.co.uk into the browser I now get a 404 error message "The requested URL / was not found on this server" but I can successfully ftp to megan.binny.co.uk. so the DNS alias seems to work.

So how do I get the webserver to recongnise this URL and then redirect to /htdocs/megan/index.html?

Once I get this working then I need to get www.megan.binny.co.uk working as well?
N/A

Again I'm not 100% sure on this but the url would be http://megan.binny.co.uk rather than the www. as far as having a certain directory for megan i would raise a ticket to see if they could do that for you as i think it's not possible via the portal.

Platty