Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use E-Mail After Leaving

craigbrass
Grafter

Use E-Mail After Leaving

Hello,

Would just like to ask a general comment, if you are on PlusNet Broadband and cancel your account, can you still use your email address (ie postmaster@flashasp.plus.com)?

Before you ask, NO I am not leaving PlusNet! I am starting a campagne about ISPs being against European Union rules by not allowing you to keep your email address when leaving as this detters many people. Would just like to know if PN allow you to keep it so I can use them as one of the good ISPs.

Best Regards,
Craig Brass
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Use E-Mail After Leaving

If you cancel outright, I belive that the e-mail is cancelled as well, however you can downgrade to a dailup PAYG where checking your e-mails is sufficient to keep the account alive (and hence your e-mail)
N/A

w

think you need to get a payg dial up account to access ur +net account [i think that you lose the right to access this if you leave ]not that you would want to with +net being so wonderful Wink
craigbrass
Grafter

Use E-Mail After Leaving

Great, I can use PN as an example as one of the good ISPs.

Maybe I can get PlusNets backing on this project, as I am sure they would get more customers if other ISPs allowed users to keep their email address' when they move.
Community Veteran

Use E-Mail After Leaving

I agree with the idea in principle.

But who would pay the cost of providing e-mail servers for the Ex customers?

One other option is to register a domain name, and use mail forwarding, to your current account. I currently have this set up with 123-reg.co.uk

Chilly
craigbrass
Grafter

Use E-Mail After Leaving

Sorry, I was misleeding in the first post. I want the ISPs to do 1 of 2 things :-
1. Provide users with an email account after they leave.
2. Forward all email to that address to a new email address they choose.
Community Veteran

Use E-Mail After Leaving

But as Chilly says who would pay for this cost? At the end of the day these ISPs are in business, not out to help people out.

If you want to take your email address then you should use your own domain name. That way you have portability.

It would be similar to someone selling thier car and then demanding a lift from the new owner once in a while. Not exactly the same but along the same lines.

I see the point you are making but I think it is flawed and you'd have to say, where do you draw the line?

Chris
craigbrass
Grafter

Use E-Mail After Leaving

A redirector costs an ISP nothing. They are certainly able to do this.
Community Veteran

Use E-Mail After Leaving

It does when they have to set 1000s up and they use bandwidth and server storage space.
N/A

Use E-Mail After Leaving

I was with Tiscali 2 years ago, I still recieve mail through that, I was with Onetel for 2 years until I got BB from Plusnet, I still recieve my email from there too.

So your saying if I leave PN then they automatically shut my email account off straight away ?
I cant send email through my old Tiscali and Onetel ones but I can still get my email from them through my PN connection.
N/A

Use E-Mail After Leaving

I also was with Onetel prior to joining PN and I still get email from my Onetel account via my PN broardband connection. Onetel even sent me an email to tell me the address was changing from .net to .com. So it is possible if the ISP wants to do it. If you are taking the emails of their servers it cannot be that much of an overhead on the ISP’s network, unless they have a large turnover of customers. Oh I see where you are coming from, that might be the problem.
Community Veteran

Use E-Mail After Leaving

Plus.Net will allow you to keep your e-mail address, when cancelling, simply ask to downgrade to a Dial up, Pay as You Go account. And providing that you collect your e-mail regularly you can keep the e-mail address.
If however you stop collecting your e-mail for more than 90 days (I believe 90 days is correct but I am not 100% sure.) your account will be removed.

I expect the same is true for Tiscali and Onetel, providing you are still using the account they keep it open. I know that NTL remove e-mail accounts a short time after leaving them.

Chilly