cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading files to webspace using ftp

N/A

Hi - again!

I'm stiil having no joy in uploading sites despite the very good advice form the forum and F9.

I have tried 2 FTPs - WS_ FTP95LE & Cute FTP

They both seem to have transferred OK from the local to remote site. I sent F9 screenshots of exactly what I have been doing and they think it might be a problem with my software.

Strangely I thought I had conquered this last week as things were uploading fine but now it has all gone horribly pear-shaped.

If anyone's interested (?) I could send them blow-by-blow shots as well.

I'm not giving up.

Many thanks.

:?
15 REPLIES
N/A

PS

I cannot view the site any more on my computer at work. Am I right in saying therefore it is NOT a software issue?
N/A

Dougiec

It looks like you forgot to change directory to /htdocs/stereocatbabies for the upload - your pages are under /htdocs - to clarify - if you goto www.dougiec.force9.co.uk you'll see the pages you uploaded - look at http://www.dougiec.force9.co.uk/stereocatbabies for the old pages.

For www.stereocatbabies.co.uk, check the Domain Name settings.

Neil
N/A

Narrs, how do i change the directory?
N/A

Dougiec

F9 have some FTP support pages here.

The page on WS_FTP_LE is here. When using WS-FTP_LE, the right pane of the display is titled 'Remote Site'. You can type the full path of the directory you want (/htdocs/stereocatbabies) in the top box and press the Enter key, or you can double left click on the folder icons. The green L shaped arrow allows you to move up a directory level.

The F9 WS_FTP_LE page shows how to transfer files.

Neil
N/A

Thanks Narrs.

I think I've done that already.

I c the updated page is under www.dougiec.f9.co.uk

I'll try again tonite.
N/A

Dougiec

1). How are you creating your web pages? Are you using the F9 website builder/wizard, or are you running some web site creation software on your computer? (Which way your doing this, will give us a clue as to the best way to proceed).

2). Have you checked the Domain Name setting hosting settings for 'www.stereocatbabies.co.uk' if so, where does it go? (/htdocs/..... ?)

Neil
N/A

I'm using f9 web builder.

The config for the domain stereocatbabies.co.uk is htdocs/stereocatbabies/index.html
N/A

OK.

1). The F9 web builder does not seem to allow you to create pages in a sub-directory.

2). The web hosting settings use a directory name, not a page name, so you have set the stereocatbabies site to look for a directory called 'index.html' in the '/htdocs/stereocatbabies' directory. You must change this to get the domain name working.

If you want to carry on using the F9 web builder, you need to change the domain hosting settings so that the bit after '/htdocs/' is blank.

This will point the www.stereocatbabies.co.uk to the /htdocs directory and be exactly the same as www.dougiec.f9.co.uk. (Remember that the change may take upto an hour to work).

Any links to other pages you create on your site, should then just be the page filename (i.e. page2.html).

You can use WS_FTP_LE to upload pictures and music files to the htdocs directory, although the web builder allows you to select an image stored on your computer and uploads it automatically.

Regards

Neil
N/A

This will point the www.stereocatbabies.co.uk to the /htdocs directory and be exactly the same as www.dougiec.f9.co.uk. (Remember that the change may take up to an hour to work).

Personally, I think this will be a good outcome, as it removes unnecessary complications, and makes the whole thing more straightforward.

By the way, I think you're doing good work here, narrs, if I might say so!
N/A

By the way, I think you're doing good work here, narrs, if I might say so!

Thanks task. Appreciated!

Yes, I think this will best suit dougiec's situation.

Cheers

Neil
N/A

Thanks Narrs.

You know when you configure your domain name the htdocs/ is pre-populated and is followed by a box? Are you saying I should blank everything out of that box? i.e. not just the index.html but the whole stereocatbabies/index.html

Thanks (again!!)
N/A

Yes

This will force the /htdocs directory to be used as the top level. When someone types just http://www.stereocatbabies.co.uk into their browser, the F9 web server where you pages are stored, will automatically send the index.html file in the /htdocs directory back to the browser (so you don't need to specify anything else).

In previous postings, we talked about using different directories so that you could run 2 different web sites if you wanted. Forget all that for now, as the F9 web wizard doesn't work for different directories. It's something you could do in the future if you want to.

Regards

Neil
N/A

Thanks Narrs.

Will I be able to have more than one page?
N/A

Yes - as many as you like.

index.html is the start page (and the default page if only www.stereocatbabies.co.uk is typed into a browser). You can use the F9 web builder to create new pages and modify the index.html page to link to those pages.

Neil

PS
Here are a couple of links to basic web page tutorials:
webmonkey
NCSA Beginner's Guide to HTML