Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading My Webpage - Please help

N/A

It seems I have 2 web addresses.

www.dougiec.f9.co.uk
www.stereocatbabies.co.uk

I have designed a very basic site for my son's band and have made changes.

The changes only show on the dougiec site which, frankly, I couldn't give a damn about. The changes are not showing on the stereo etc site.

I have called F9 about a dozen times and raised several Tickets and posted here but the final piece is missing.

The last person I spoke to at F9 basically said I was not dragging and dropping into the stereocatbabies folder under htdocs and I was not refreshing it. I did this whilst he was on the line and he said I couldn't have as when he did it things worked.

Despite me confessing to being a bit of a novice F9 point blank refuse to talk me thru what I reckon is a VERY simple process. They just say raise the matter here. In simple terms, I am THICK - so it's official.

Can someome please help me before I go nuts? :x Evil :!:
15 REPLIES
N/A

I too have 2 addresses, my F9 address and my domain name. Because I purchased my domain name from a separate company, I have the name servers pointing to F9. I upload to my F9 address, into the htdocs folder (no special folders or anything) and the updated site shows on my F9 site and under the domain name. I am not sure why you are having so many problems with what should be a relatively simple process.

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Mark
N/A

A couple of points, which I hope will help:

• In your documents you are fully-qualifying your links. So, for example, the "CD Releases" link is a reference to "http://www.dougiec.plus.com/cdreleases.html". Unfortunately, you do not have a website "www.dougiec.plus.com", so this link does not work. Secondly, using fully qualified references is bad news, because you have to change them if you change the location of your website. It's much better to use relative links -- code just "cdreleases.html" and the browser will work out it means the same protocol (http) and the same website (www.dougiec.force9.co.uk or www.stereocatbabies.co.uk) and directory within that website as the current page. So you can use the same page in both your dougiec and your stereocatbabies website without having to change it. If you look at the page source, it is preferable to have href="cdreleases.html" rather than href="http://www.dougiec.plus.com/cdreleases.html".

• You have two different websites (dougiec and stereocatbabies), and their "starting locations" are two different directories in the space allocated to you by Force9. The "starting location" can be adjusted using the Domain names tools, as explained by Neil / "narrs" over the last couple of days. If you make no changes with "Domain names", the current position is: the "dougiec" website is located in your /htdocs directory. So, when someone sets their browser to "www.dougiec.force9.co.uk" what they get returned to them is the page located at /htdocs/index.html from your web space. But the "stereocatbabies" website has its starting location set to /htdocs/stereocatbabies, so when someone sets their browser to "www.stereocatbabies.co.uk" what they get returned is the page /htdocs/stereocatbabies/index.html from your web space. Note, this is not the same as the page obtained from the dougiec website, since it is the "index.html" from a different directory.

What this means is that if someone sets his browser to "www.dougiec.force9.co.uk/stereocatbabies" he will actually get the page /htdocs/stereocatbabies/index.html" returned to him, which is the homepage of the "stereocatbabies" website!

• For material to appear in the "stereocatbabies" website, you must ftp it to the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory. If you ftp it to the /htdocs directory, it will be in the dougiec website, but not in the stereocatbabies website.

As far as I can see, you currently have two pages for your "in-progress" website -- the homepage (index.html) and the "cdreleases.html" page which is linked to by clicking on "CD releases" on the homepage. You have a copy of the "cdreleases.html" page in your /htdocs directory, which makes it available to the "dougiec" website, but not to the "stereocatbabies" website. For "stereocatbabies" to be able to display this page, you need to put it into the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory.

Once you've done that, you will be able to see the page if you set your browser to "www.stereocatbabies.co.uk/cdreleases.html". But, if you click on the "CD releases" link on the homepage, you will get an error, because the link is pointing to an invalid href. Make the change I suggested above, (href="cdreleases.html"), ftp the changed index.html page to the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory, and the link will now work. It'll also work on your home machine, using files stored locally, and it'll work if you copy it to your /htdocs directory and use the "dougiec" website. It'll work in all those places because it's now a relative reference, not a fully qualified one.
N/A

stereocatbabies

u said this:

For material to appear in the "stereocatbabies" website, you must ftp it to the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory. If you ftp it to the /htdocs directory, it will be in the dougiec website, but not in the stereocatbabies website.

Can u explain how I do this in idiot's terms because I'm sure I've done this! Shockedops: Shockedops: Shockedops: Shockedops: Shockedops: Shockedops: Shockedops: Shockedops:
N/A

Precise locations & paths

Hi,

I think your problem is basically to do with the precise place you need to physically put your files (webpages,such as index.html, etc), I know all this is abit confusing when your trying to get too grips with building your own website for the first few times.

1) The "paths" or path statements in your documents ( a way for browsers) to find/locate the files or pages you want to make available to others. show to others. If your path statements are incorrectly written then things fall down and people wont get to your pages. Yes! the path statements MUST be totally precise otherwise they wont work or will throw up errors.

2) Not only must the paths be correct but secondly "where" you physically put your files on your website must aslo be totally correct and also must relate exactly to your path statements or again the whole thing fails to work.

3) The previous contributor outlines this very clearly for you, do go back and re-read it if your still not sure.

4) FTP is only a means of getting your files onto your site and putting them into the right places (physically) and again the result is that all your path statements in all your docs should be correct and the whole site should work and be viewable to others.

Ivan
N/A

A couple of points, which I hope will help:

• You have two different websites (dougiec and stereocatbabies), and their "starting locations" are two different directories in the space allocated to you by Force9. The "starting location" can be adjusted using the Domain names tools, as explained by Neil / "narrs" over the last couple of days. If you make no changes with "Domain names", the current position is: the "dougiec" website is located in your /htdocs directory. So, when someone sets their browser to "www.dougiec.force9.co.uk" what they get returned to them is the page located at /htdocs/index.html from your web space. But the "stereocatbabies" website has its starting location set to /htdocs/stereocatbabies, so when someone sets their browser to "www.stereocatbabies.co.uk" what they get returned is the page /htdocs/stereocatbabies/index.html from your web space. Note, this is not the same as the page obtained from the dougiec website, since it is the "index.html" from a different directory.</quote>

I'm glad this thread has been brought up as I didn't know that. I am assuming then that is how you can host multiple domains on the htdocs server? I shall have to try it, got to think of another domain name to get first though!

Mark
N/A

I'm glad this thread has been brought up as I didn't know that. I am assuming then that is how you can host multiple domains on the htdocs server? I shall have to try it, got to think of another domain name to get first though!

Yes, our friend Neil / "narrs" is a fount of useful information! [Sorry, narrs, embarrassing you again!] I don't have any domains hosted on Force9, but had guessed something similar; then I found an old posting by narrs, and - would you believe - he posted a the same instructions here just a few days ago. Have a look at some of the recent threads here for references.
N/A

Re: stereocatbabies

For material to appear in the "stereocatbabies" website, you must ftp it to the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory. If you ftp it to the /htdocs directory, it will be in the dougiec website, but not in the stereocatbabies website.

Can u explain how I do this in idiot's terms because I'm sure I've done this!

The simple answer is: use your FTP client software (I think you're using a GUI client) to drag and drop the pages for stereocatbabies into the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory on the Force9 machine.

Here's a more complicated answer. It uses the FTP command line interface, so rather than using drag and drop, you have to enter the commands, but I'll tell you what they are, and how to do it. I'm assuming that at the moment, you have just two pages in your fledgling site (index.html and cdreleases.html). Being html pages, they need to be transferred as text ("ascii") files, and we'll use their common extension (html) to identify them. (If you later have any image files, jpegs, gifs, pngs, etc, they need to be transferred as binary files, not ascii, otherwise they won't work!). I assume also, you know how to bring up a Windows "command prompt" and change directory to the location of the web pages on your local machine -- if not: shout!!!

In the following, I've written your input in blue and the machine's responses (either from your own PC or from a Force9 host) in brown:
[list=1]
  • Bring up a Windows command prompt, and change to the directory containing your html files. By issuing dir (for a directory listing) you should see your two files, index.html and cdreleases.html, listed. If you don't you aren't in the correct directory, and need to change (cd) to it!

• When you're sure you're in the correct Windows directory, enter this command to start ftp to the Force9 machine:
    ftp ftp-proxy.force9.net

The Force9 machine responds as follows, prompting for your username:
    Connected to ftp-proxy.force9.net.
    220 Force9 FTP-Proxy 3
    User (ftp-proxy.force9.netSadnone)):

• Enter your username (dougiec):
    User (ftp-proxy.force9.netSadnone)):dougiec

• You'll now be prompted for your password. Enter it (it will not be echoed back):
    331-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
    331-will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
    331-dialled into our network.
    331-
    331-ALSO: If you upload a file whose size would cause you to
    331-exceed your allocated disk quota, it will be automatically
    331-removed.
    331-
    331-Force9 FTP Server #2 ready
    331 Password required for dougiec.
    Password:
    <you enter your password here>

• Logon is confirmed, and you're presented with an ftp prompt:
    230 User dougiec logged in.
    ftp>

• Before we do anything, let's find out where we are. At any time we're at an ftp prompt, we can find out the directory we're in by issuing the pwd command:
    ftp> pwd
    257 "/" is current directory.
    ftp>

So, we're in our "/" directory (our root directory)

• Let's see what's in this directory. At any time when we're at an ftp prompt we can issue the dir command to get a directory listing:
    ftp> dir
    200 PORT command successful
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
    drwxr-xr-x 11 ftp ftp 1024 Sep 16 2002 htdocs
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 63 bytes received in 0.02Seconds 3.94Kbytes/sec.
    ftp>

This tells us there is just one thing in our / directory. The "thing" is called htdocs and it is itself a directory (see the "d" at the very front of the htdocs line)

• For the "stereocatbabies" website, our web content has to go in the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory, so we need to change to it:
    ftp> cd /htdocs/stereocatbabies
    250 CWD command successful.
    ftp>

You should get a command successful response. If you don't, it probably means you haven't entered the command properly (because I'm pretty certain you do have a directory /htdocs/stereocatbabies!).

• Check you are at the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory by using the pwd command:
    ftp> pwd
    257 "/htdocs/stereocatbabies" is current directory.
    ftp>

• When we're happy we're in the correct directory, we need to set some parameters for the transfer. We're going to transfer some html files, which are text files, so we make sure we're in the correct mode for ascii file transfer:
    ftp> ascii
    200 Type set to A
    ftp>

• We're now set for ascii file transfer. We plan to transfer several files in one swoop, and we don't want the system to prompt us for each file to transfer, so we need to set a parameter called prompting to its off state. "prompt" is a toggle -- every time you issue it, it flips to the opposite state. Initially it's on, so we issue the command, and check it tells us it's now off. If by some chance it tells us it's now on, issue the command again to toggle it off:
    ftp> prompt
    Interactive mode Off .
    ftp>

We were told prompting is now off, so we're happy.

• There's a third option we need set -- it's called "globbing" -- and we need it "on". It's "on" by default, so we should not need to change it (the "glob" command toggles its state), but we can check the current settings with the stat (status) command:
    ftp> stat
    Type: ascii; Verbose: On ; Bell: Off ; Prompting: Off ; Globbing: On
    Debugging: Off ; Hash mark printing: Off .
    ftp>

As you can see, globbing is shown as "on", so we don't need to do anything. (By the way, globbing allows us to issue commands containing wildcard characters.) We can also see our transfer type is set to ascii, and the prompting is "off".

• We've now got to the bit where we're ready to transfer files! We're going to transfer all the html files in our current local directory. We identify these by using "*.html" (the "*" is a wildcard matching all names, hence the need for globbing to be "on" earlier). We can put files one at a time using "put" or we can put multiple files using "mput". We want to put multiple files so we use mput:
    ftp> mput *.html
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for cdreleases.html
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 1619 bytes sent in 0.02Seconds 101.19Kbytes/sec.
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for index.html
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 10465 bytes sent in 0.01Seconds 697.67Kbytes/sec.
    ftp>

• That's it! The files have been transferred. We can use the dir command to check the contents of the directory to see they've really been transferred:
    ftp> dir
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ftp ftp 1572 Mar 23 2002 cdreleases.html
    -rw-r--r-- 1 ftp ftp 10121 Mar 18 2002 index.html
    226 Transfer complete.
    ftp: 1012 bytes received in 0.23Seconds 4.32Kbytes/sec.
    ftp>

Note both the entries have a "-" at the beginning of their lines, (not a "d" like the htdocs directory we saw ealier) so they're ordinary files.

• If you have any non-text files (say pictures in jpeg, png or gif format, or sound files) they need to be transferred in "binary" mode, not ascii mode. Use the "bin" command to specify subsequent files should use this mode:

ftp> bin
    200 Type set to I
    ftp>

You can use "stat" to check the correct file trnasfer type is set:

ftp> stat
    Type: binary; Verbose: On ; Bell: Off ; Prompting: Off ; Globbing: On
    Debugging: Off ; Hash mark printing: Off .
    ftp>

Note it says type "binary", which is what you want. As before, you can use "put" to put a single file (eg put picture.png or "mput" to put multiple files in one shot (eg mput *.jpg will transfer all "jpg" files in your current local directory to the remote machine's current directory).

• When you're satisfied all the files have been transferred, quit out of ftp:

ftp> quit
    221 Goodbye.

C:\home\dougiec>
    (back to your Windows command prompt!)

• Finally, close the Windows command prompt window:
    C:\home\dougiec> exit
    [/listShocked]

You should now be able to use your browser to view www.stereocatbabies.co.uk, and if you made that change to the "CD Releases" link in your index.html document, it should work, taking you to the cdreleases.html document. If it doesn't work, you need to change it, and transfer the file again, but meanwhile you can view the cd releases document anyway by browsing to www.stereocatbabies.co.uk/cdreleases.html , which will confirm the file was transferred OK.
  • N/A

Thanks very much. I tried the simple way and it didn't work.

I'll try the long way over weekend and let u know.

I'm sorry but I don't knowm how to open a Windows command prompt. Please tell me.

Many thanks. Wink
    N/A

I'm sorry but I don't know how to open a Windows command prompt. Please tell me.

• Click on Start.

• Click on All Programs

• Scan down the list of programs looking for "Command Prompt" (I seem to recall this is where it is in Windows 2000)

• If it's not there, click on Accessories. You should see it there.

• Click on it.

Note: on older versions of Windows it may call itself DOS command, or DOS prompt, or something similar!

Once you have the command prompt up, you need to change to the disk drive and directory containing your web pages -- you know where they are, right!

If you need to change drive, you do so by entering the drive letter you want to go to, followed by a colon; eg to go to the "D" drive, enter d:.

Once you're on the correct drive, you need to change to the correct directory. The prompt tells you which directory you're currently in. To change directory, you use the cd command followed by the name of the directory. If the directory name contains spaces, you need to enclose the name in quotation marks (the shift-2 symbol on your keyboard). Eg to change to directory "my web pages" enter: cd "my web pages". You can check the contents of a directory by entering dir. (Or, of course, using Windows Explorer!!!)
    N/A

Dougiec

I just had a look at your web site again and realised something. :idea:

:?: Are you using the F9 'Website Wizard' to do your web site? It seems to have the same border styles etc. as pages produced by the wizard.

If you are, then you will have a problem! It looks like the website wizard can't cope with subdirectories, so you'll never be able to create pages in the /htdocs/stereocatbabies directory!!

I would recommend you look at obtaining a web page authoring program to run on your own PC, and then you use that to create the web pages you want and use the ftp instructions listed previously to copy them to the homepages server and which ever directory you want.

If you're not sure where to get a web page editor from, first check the Icons on your PC - you may already have Microsoft's FrontPage installed, which is more than adequate for straight forward pages. If not, F9 have got some freeware or shareware ones in their file vault here.

You can also get some graphical File Transfer Protocol (ftp) programs from here - I like CuteFTP or WS_FTP_LE.

Regards

Neil
    N/A

OK, I must be sad!

Dougiec

I have created some files for you based on the http://www.soundat45rpm.i12.com/stereocatbabies/ web site. The files are available for you here: http://www.narrs.f9.co.uk/scb/.

Download the stereocatbabies.zip file to your PC and unzip it. It will create a directory 'stereocatbabies' that contains the web pages.

The pictures.zip and mp3s.zip files are optional (and if you do download them, unzip them into the 'stereocatbabies' directory). These files contain local copies of the pictures in the 'pictures' page and the audio files from the mp3 page. The stereocatbabies.zip file contains to versions of the pictures and mp3 pages (pictures.htm, pictures_local.htm, mp3.htm and mp3_local.htm). The versions produce the same page view, the difference is from where the picture or sound files are referenced. The 1st of each use the http://www.soundat45rpm.i12.com/stereocatbabies/ web site, while the _local pages refer to the pictures or audio files from the 'pictures' or 'mp3s' subdirectories under the stereocatbabies directory. You would need to rename them (i.e. mp3_local.htm becomes mp3.htm).

Having unzipped the file(s) to your PC, you then need to copy the files (ftp) to your webspace on the homespages.force9.net server. Copy the 'stereocatbabies' directory into the /htdocs directory as per the instructions given by 'task' previously. If you're domain name hosting for www.stereocatbabies.co.uk is setup to use /htdocs/stereocatbabies (as discussed before), then you should see the web site at that address. You will also be able to see it at http://www.dougiec.force9.co.uk/stereocatbabies. You see this, because as you said earlier in this topic, you have 2 domain names using the same wenb space (albeit at slightly different directories).

Give it a go and see if it helps!

Regards

Neil
    photoynnad
    Dabbler

from Danny Brannigan

I think itis absolutely tremendous that you chaps take so much time and effort to help us thickies.Just recently I was given website helpand it really was appreciated. Keep up the good work.
    Danny Brannigan
    N/A

Thanks very much Narrs - you're some guy.

I haven't tried it yet because I've reached the stage where I'm going to have a breakdown. :roll:

My son is back home over the weekend. I'll get him on the case. Also, my daughter knows some computer types so I'll kidnap one of them and tie them to the PC until things are resolved.

Your help is ace. Are u into music? If so I can send u my son's 2 demo CDs?

Cheers. Cool
    N/A

That's very generous - I did listen to the MP3s and thought they sounded good. Let's get you going first, then if I have indeed helped, then email or 'Send Private Message' (using the forums).

Cheers

Neil