cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload bandwidth on upgraded lines

N/A

Does anyone know what happens to the upload bandwidth on lines being upgraded to 8meg (when this happens)? I've put my account forward now for the 8meg upgrade but there doesnt seem to be any information on what happens to the upload bandwidth which is currently 288Kbit I believe.

The problem is, if you know anything about networking at all, you cant simply receive data at whatever speeds you wish without sacrificing upload too. The greater the download speeds, the more return packets you need for acknowledgement of received data etc.

Can anyone help here? I think that if when i do get the faster speeds ifthe upload is just the same, I wont be able to do other things with it that I want to do. Anyone in the know?
6 REPLIES
N/A

UPLINKING

Hi hcswales,

Sadly I think your comments are right, now as I understand ADSL technology the current limitation on uplink/upload is actually 256K (that's the maximum theoretical uplink speed and NOT what you will get of course). This seems presently to be the actual limit on this type of technology. However I am aware that theres is SDSL in which the speed of the line is the same in each direction (symetric digital subscriber line) which obviously means that the downlink speed is the same as the uplink speed. However, not very many BT exchanges have this capability as yet but the good news is that its increasing though.

**No! to answer your orignal question I dont know what will happen to uplink speeds either when upgrading to 8MB's infact I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with that, has anyone said when you will be able to get 8MB's?

Ivan
N/A

The maximum uplink of the technology is something around 128k (1Mbit), this doesn't necessarily mean BTs lines are good enough to achieve that speed though. I have also read routers that say the maximum uplink is lower than that, so theres definately some confusion over what ADSL can do uplink wise.
N/A

Im sure I read somewhere that when MaxDSL (BT 8mbit) is released then the uploads will go up to 480kbits for residential, 600-odd for business ... ?

Anyone else read that one?

Jarv
N/A

yup max dsl will be 480kbits for residential and i think 800 and summin for business.
N/A

Lets not forget though that the nature of how MaxDSL works means that its possible for both down and upstream speed to vary from house to house. Its also depedant on the trials being a success, if BT decide their lines just arent up to the job then we could get stuck at our current speeds for a LOT longer.
deepfatfrier
Grafter

My friend can get SDSL, even out in the sticks that is Hereford! :?
Sadly, i'm even further out, but will be able to get 2MB (i think) in 16 days Cheesy
Cheers for this upgrade F9, you guys really are top class Wink