cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from ME TO XP, how will I get back online?

terryp96

Hi , I have the opportunity to upgrade my Windows ME computer with XP. What will happen with signing back on to both my dial up and broadband. I don't think I can find the cd which came with the Voyager package to reinstall and have no information regarding the dial up either. Can you put me on the right track to get the information I will need, ie. replacement installation cd etc.
I assume that I received an installation cd for the Voyager modem, sorry for losing this information
K T Perrett
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi,
You can find the drivers for the BT voyager modem here
You can find your connection details for F9 here Either write them down or print them off before the upgrade.

One other point to note with upgrading from ME to XP is that almost all your hardware will require new/different drivers from what ME is using, such as your graphics card, sound card, printer/scanner/cameras.
If you can, download the lastest drivers for XP and put them on a CD before you upgrade.

If you need help to identify what hardware you have installed, you can use Everest to identify all your hardware and find the latest drivers.

Since you are going to XP, I'd also download Service Pack 2 before you upgrade/install and install SP2 BEFORE you connect to the internet.

On a side note, I'd not "upgrade" from ME to XP, I would back up all your data, format and install XP clean and fresh.

If you need/want any more clarification just ask Smiley

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
N/A

i would say if you're going to upgrade to XP and haven't purchased it yet, then ensure you get a copy with the latest SP on it, so you don't have to download it.

If you do have to download it then what would be advisable is to copy your xp install files to hard drive, and then implement SP2 into it, reburn to cd and then install.

This will be a lot better than installed xp, then installing sp2

regards
mike
N/A

i would say if you're going to upgrade to XP and haven't purchased it yet, then ensure you get a copy with the latest SP on it, so you don't have to download it.

If you do have to download it then what would be advisable is to copy your xp install files to hard drive, and then implement SP2 into it, reburn to cd and then install.

This will be a lot better than installed xp, then installing sp2

regards
mike

Force 9 won't be very happy. Nasty man downloading big service packs and drivers. lol
N/A

Hi,

XP service pack 2 is just more Microsoft Bloatware & at 75MB's I havent bothered with it and my XP system has been fine. I only have SP 1 installed.

**NOT all service packs are essential or even useful IMO, more MS mythes Ah!! you must have SP2 otherwise the boggie man will get you, utter rubbish!!.

**IMO the ONLY reason for a service pack is if it is vital or makes the system work better. Which TBH I strongly doubt SP2 does.

Ivan
N/A

You can also have service packs sent to you free of charge on cd from microsoft.co.uk. I always do this as I'm forever reformatting different machines.
N/A

**IMO the ONLY reason for a service pack is if it is vital or makes the system work better. Which TBH I strongly doubt SP2 does.

It will work, but if you install xp, then sp1, then sp2 or xp then sp2 it will usually fall over for one reason or other.

best way sis to copy the i386 folder to hard-drive and then unzip sp2 to it, then re-burn to cd and then install

that's only succesful way i've got sp2 working without it screwing other stuff up

regards
mike
N/A

You can upgrade from ME to XP, use the compatibility wizard within XP to identify what hardware/saoftware issues you will have, this will give you the information on what possible files/drivers you will need to have so that your existing hardware/software will work. If you purchase a new copy of XP it should have SP2 on it. If it is an old copy then download and install SP1 first, then download and install SP2. I have done my upgrade this way and it has worked well.

john1215
N/A

Hi,

Last time I contacted Microsoft for service packs they WERE NOT FREE!! they made a charge for sending it to you and you had to pay P&P too!!.

**SP2 for XP has a large number of fixes for security holes which microsoft were embarrassed into sorting out by hackers. Some core & kernal files were completely rewitten as were some DLL's too. So with SP2 its more like a completely new version of windows not a minor fix, the whole thing was revamped with security in mind. Hence the XP firewall is turned on by default, so if you dont want it or dont like the MS firewall you have to actively disable it.

**I made a judgement call that SP2 wouldnt significantly improve my system and so still believe its just more MS Bloatware so am NOT about to install it. If it aint broke dont fix it?

Ivan
N/A

Orlando188, If upgrading from ME to XP, I believe the easiest step is to just perform the upgrade using the XP Upgrade CD, then perform the either an online update using the "Auto Update wizard" or if using Dialup, try to obtain the latest Service pack on CD and install from there. (Followed by the Update Wizard which would then have less to install over modem)
I understand that some I.T professionals may take the stance that they are happy to apply specific OS patches by hand and not install a whole service pack for whatever reason, but for the average person, a service pack update is the easiest and most affective way of ensuring your PC is uptodate and less vunerable to attack.
As you've been running ME, I doubt you have the latest hardware installed in your PC. The drivers which come with XP should cover the hardware within your PC.
I recommend backing up your personnal information. eg DOCS before you perform the upgrade as there is always the chance that something may go wrong and you'd have to wipe the disk and restart. (Always assume the worst). That said, I have found XP to be very reliable compared to other version of the OS and performed an upgrade from WIN2000 to XP pro without any issues.
Good luck, POST to the forums if you have any questions, and ensure you have the knowledge to at least setup your internet connection again before performing the upgrade.
N/A

Hi,

Last time I contacted Microsoft for service packs they WERE NOT FREE!! they made a charge for sending it to you and you had to pay P&P too!!.
Ivan

Well I must be imagining the service packs I have here sent through the post from Microsoft that I never paid a penny for hehe. You can also pick them up from PC World too.
N/A

Hi,

Well all I can say is ISNT that totally typical of Microsoft then, one minute there free and all you have to do is email or phone up and then Bill's your uncle and wad,ya know you have to pay for the darn things, and now there free again. Come on uncle bill make your mind up which is it? free or not?? :roll: :lol: Shockedops: :roll:

Ivan