cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to broadband - Hosted domain names.

thehat
Grafter

I am about to upgrade from Connect Lite to Broadband Home Lite, and it seems that the broadband account does not include a free co.uk domain name :-( Is this correct? It seems odd that you lose features when you upgrade. Will I lose any other features? I will still require CGI, MySQL, etc....
Actually I'm not sure if I have a free co.uk domain name now or not. I have two domain names hosted on my account. One is a .com and the other is a co.uk. Both of these were originally registered through another registrar, although it looks like when I renewed my co.uk domain name I must have done this through free-online, as I can see a payment for this in my transactions. The .com domain is hosted at free-online but still registered elsewhere. I don't see any transactions relating to this, so maybe this counted as my free domain name with the connect account Huh
When I go through the upgrade process I get to a question which asks if I want a co.uk domain for £1 a month or not, and I'm not sure what to answer. I obviously want to continue to host both existing domains on this account. Will there be an additional charge for this? I was thinking of registering another domain name soon anyway, so can I get this one for £1 a month, and continue to host the two existing ones?
Thanks,
Phil
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Phil,

You have a couple of options when you upgrade. The first is to select that you do want the £1 domain option and then raise a ticket saying that you want to change your existing .co.uk domain to the £1 option and you'll just then pay £1 per month for that domain and we'll automatically renew it for you when the renewal is due.
The second option is to leave the domains as they are and pay the renewal fee for the .co.uk when it is due and register a third domain as the £1 domain.
In either case there is no charge to host your .com domain as you can host up to 3 domains on the account without a charge.
thehat
Grafter

OK. Thanks.

Just to clarify, if I want a new domain name I can choose the £1 a month option, and my existing 2 domain names will continue to be hosted in addition to the new one. Is that correct? I don't need to raise a ticket to do this? I'm a little wary as I think the message stated that this will replace my existing free domain name. Will the system recognise that my co.uk domain is not a free one, but one I have paid for?

Another couple of questions about the £1 domain name. Will this be registered in my name, or will the registration be owned by free-online? If in the future I wanted to transfer the name to another hosting service or renew it with another registrar, would that still be possible?

Thanks
Phil.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you wish to register a £1 domain then you first need to activate the £1 option (either during the registration or via the domain name control panel). You can then register the domain. There's no need to raise a ticket for this.
The system will recognise your new domain as the £1 domain and also that your existing uk domain is one you've paid for and the .com as one you just host with ourselves.

Connect accounts allow you to register a new .co.uk domain name for free, it is this option that is replaced by £1 domain. So if you wanted to you could register your new domain now for free and then change it to the £1 domain when you upgrade (you would need to raise a ticket for this as we'd have to change the domain type in our database).

The domain would be registered in your name and address. With the £1 option you can transfer the domain out to another host by changing the IPS Tag after 12 months with no charge.
thehat
Grafter

OK. Thanks.
I've gone through the upgrade process now, and am waiting for ADSL activation, so we'll see how it goes.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

Everything's looking good an the ADSL side. Take a look at the ADSL Tracker, it should be showing an activation date of 14/7/04.
thehat
Grafter

I chose the option to get the £1 domain name, but the process didn't prompt me to choose a name to register. Will I need to raise a contact us ticket to do this, or can I do it through the My Domain Name links?

Thanks
Phil.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi Phil,

You can register the new domain via the My Domain Name page, it should recognise that you've activated the £1 option, although I would recommend waiting until the ADSL is activated before you do it.
If you want to switch your existing domain to be the £1 domain then you'd need to raise a ticket.
thehat
Grafter

Yes, a new option appears in the My Domain Names section now, with a link to click and register the £1 name.
Thanks for your help.

Phil.