cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade present broadband

N/A

I presently use home broadband package with FOL and may need to upgrade to 1mb bandwidth, do I have to pay another activation fee and if so why if I'm already a customer.
18 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

At the moment there is a regrade fee to change the speed of your connection, currently £41.13 for an annual account or £52.88 for monthly.
The reason for this charge is because BT charge us to make the speed change.
I should add that the wholesale price dropped recently for regrades and we are currently evaluating our pricing so if you hold off requesting the regrade for a week or two you may find that the price has been reduced.
N/A

Thanks for the advice
N/A

Hmm - Rather neatly answers my question too Smiley

The other one was....Is 1MB then 512UL too - since BT are doubling the clock on the circuit. Or are then just enabling more of the higher band and not actually doing any work (apart from pressing a key), but charging everyone for it?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

The fee quoted above has been reduced since I posted that message and depending on the exact account details is as low as £14.99 for the regrade to 1Mbps.
The upload speed stays the same at 256kbps unfortunately, it's also 256 on the 2Mbps service.
There is work done exchange side to changethe speed, BT have now managed to automate a lot of this.
N/A

The upgrade or activation to fee 1mb has now gone up, at £58.75 for annual contract, no where near your quoted £41.13 for home users, yes the monthly payment has reduced by about £10.00 pm.
I think I'll wait till you get the deal better for your old customers or BT stop getting so greedy.
N/A

The activation fee has always been that price I believe - but the fee to upgrade (if you already have 512K broadband) is £14.99 or £24.99...
N/A

You say the monthly has come down £10 :O

What is 1MB now? ( I currently pay £21 a month for the former DSL Home 512 UnLimited BW)

I was seriously tempted to order 2 x 512DSL Home
Can this be done on one active BT line ( although I do have 2 lines installed ) or do I need to rent 2 lines from BT at the RIP off of nr. £40 a quarter.

Whats your advice?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

Broadband Home Premier 1Mbps is £29.99 per month.

If you wanted 2 512kbps ADSL services then you would need 2 BT lines as one phone line can only support 1 ADSL service.
N/A

WB Dave - thanks for the info

BTW - does anyone know if its possible in theory to have two cable modems on one cable? I gave my spare away - so I cant test it

Vic
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm afraid not. The ADSL signal won't know which one to sync with and so neither will likely work.
thehat
Grafter

So why are we supplied with two line splitters in the starter pack?
As I understand it, the splitter contains a filter so that the (high frequency) ADSL signal comes out of the little hole (data), and the (low frequency) voice signal comes out of the big hole(voice). So if I connect a splitter to my phone line, then take a voice line to somewhere else in the house. There's no point connecting another splitter, as the data signal has already been filtered out.
N/A

Erm - cos I guess most people run extensions (correctly) from the master - not the splitter. And if you dont use a splitter on the extension then your DSL may suffer, depending on the equipment used for voice Wink

But - no if you wired the extension from the spitter - then you dont ned a second filter

Vic
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

Exactly as Vic says, depending on how your wiring is set up you may not be able to have every phone, etc. filtered with just the one filter. I've got an extension cable that's hardwared to the master socket, my router connects to the master socket via a filter so I need another filter at the end of the extension for the phone.
Having two also allows you to swap them over easily in case one is faulty. Very useful in fault diagnosis.
thehat
Grafter

So as a general rule, is it better to have a splitter/filter closer to the telephone equipment, or closer to the modem/router. In other words is it better to have more length of cables before or after the filter? Is the filter to prevent the voice signal interfering with the ADSL signal or vice-versa or both?