cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating AVG

N/A

Updating AVG

I am using the AVG anti virus software, which as far as I know is doing a wonderful job. Just a couple of little quibbles and anomalies maybe someone could help me with?

When switching on the pc, part of the boot up process once the desktop is loaded, is for the software to try and download updates. Obviously it can't do this as the connection isn't live and the update fails. This then switches the email scanner off until you open the control panel, click on the email scanner and close it again to re- activate it :?

I have the software set up to automatically update as there is a new version virtually every day, even weekends. Sometimes I find the pc will get the update and install it, other times it will go for days until I remember to update it myself.

I imagine both of the above are linked somewhere, but i'll be b*ggered if I can find where. Any ideas please?

Cheers

Mark
5 REPLIES
N/A

Re: AVG

Hi Mark,

I ditched Norton Anti Virus 2000 which was becoming increasingly expensive for the updates each year. And when Symantec asked for an extra £12 to pay by debit card & process my annual sub that was the last straw. I ditched Norton for AVG Free (version 7.1), AVG is IMO actually better than Norton anyway but I digress.

OK going back to your main point/s. I would suggest that you turn off AVG "automatic update service" so that this feature doesnt load immediately on boot up (Yes! AVG should load the AVG free resident virus guard into memory, see icon in system tray). However, I never allow automatic updates for any program, I like to have control over the entire update process. Even though I run my machine like a server & is web connected 24/7 I allows run the updates manually and I have never had a problem or conflict with the email scanner part of the program.

**If you only use manual updates then the program wont fail to load the automatic internet updates because its NOT connected. I suspect this problem is purely the result of AVG expecting you to have a live connection so if you dont have one it gets upset by this. Solution is ONLY use manual updates I think that should solve it?

**AVG free updates are excellent, my system has been saved numerous times recently as the resident guard blocked/caught several trojens that have been doing the rounds.

Ivan
orrery
Grafter

Updating AVG

I've found a strange effect where the AVG update scheduler get a spurious next-update due date many years into the future and stops updating - presumably because my time updater has momentarily grabbed a spurious time and date.

regards, Ian
N/A

Updating AVG

Not come across that one with AVG, Yes! sounds abit off the wall too me. But will certainly look out for that one now!! My update process/service seems to work great every time no hitches ever.

Ivan
N/A

Updating AVG

I did have a problem with updates, but that was solved when I upgraded to the new version. Touch wood, it has been okay since Smiley

If you only use manual updates then the program wont fail to load the automatic internet updates because its NOT connected. I suspect this problem is purely the result of AVG expecting you to have a live connection so if you dont have one it gets upset by this. Solution is ONLY use manual updates I think that should solve it?

Not ignoring you Ivan, just forgot to answer. I suppose I could turn off the auto update, I find it useful when it does update itself though, as I have been known to forget in the past Shockedops:

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Updating AVG

Hi Mark,

I guess a manual update has just become another one of those daily tasks that I hardly even think about these days, I just do it. The proof is in the fact that I have had a clean machine now for over 3 years now.

Ivan