Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited phone calls

chrisco
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

Hi All,

Thought you might be interested in this: last Sun & again today I had calls from a marketing company calling from Canada, when challenged, as my phone line is XD & never divulge it when I'm form filling etc, I was told that all the numbers are computer generated & so dialled at random & despite my request for the number not to be used again person in Canada tells me can't be done, by this time I'm wondering about human rights & if I have any! :x
Proceeded to call BT & they confirmed that indeed absolutely nothing can be done as these calls are generated from outside the UK therefore are beyond BT's & TPS (Telephone Preference Service) jurisdiction, my only consolation evidently is they eventually move on, to where I have no idea! Am I alone in resenting this intrusion - especially as these calls seem to come when I'm up the steps changing a light bulb, up to my elbows in washing up water, trying to shove a pill down the cats throat & worst of all sitting quietly sipping a nice glass of wine!!
14 REPLIES
N/A

Unsolicited phone calls

Hi

I didn't realise that there wasn't anything that BT could do about these calls just because they originate from outside of Briton: There must be some method of reprisal that could be employed... Wink

I hate the unsolicited telephone calls also, and like yourself the worst time is when I'm having a glass of wine. I don't get so many now but when one does occur and I'm in the mood I play along with them but I have a farty machine next to the phone. Wink

There's an idea for a questionnaire:

When was the worst time that you received an unsolicited phone call?
N/A

Re: Unsolicited phone calls

I was told that all the numbers are computer generated & so dialled at random

Sounds rather too convenient to me...
N/A

Unsolicited phone calls

I just checked my phone number, and it looks just like a series of random numbers. I hope they don't call me tonight :shock:

Kidding aside, it is often helpful to ask them to hold the line for a minute, then sit and finish the glass of wine, then, on your way back for a top up of vino, go back to the phone, and if they are still there, spend a minute chatting, then ask them to hold again....... Makes the wine taste better..... Wink
chrisco
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

sallyandjames wrote:
Kidding aside, it is often helpful to ask them to hold the line for a minute, then sit and finish the glass of wine, then, on your way back for a top up of vino, go back to the phone, and if they are still there, spend a minute chatting, then ask them to hold again....... Makes the wine taste better.....

That's just what the BT guy said, mmmm.... who do work for James? He said the person the other end soon gets tired of talking to themselves. Ah well, such is life Sad
N/A

Unsolicited phone calls

Definately do not work for BT - I run the IT department at a personal care product manufacturer.

Can BT block all calls from Canada? Could be useful if, like me, you don't actually know anybody in Canada...
chrisco
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

Nope, unfortunately BT or the TPS are unable to do anything about unsolicited calls coming in from abroad, although not sure about EU member countries?
Other half has a good way of seeing off anyone trying to sell him anything, he tells them he's an undischarged bankrupt, that always works!! :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

I'm having a glass of wine.

Explains a lot. :lol:
N/A

hi

been away for a while but i find talking gaelic is wonderful it usually takes them 20 seconds then the phone goes dead
:lol:
N/A

Unsolicited phone calls

What about always answering your phone with the phrase

Hello - Emergency Services Operator - which service do you require?

Might scare em off Wink

..Could confuddle your old Ma too though. (Which may not be a bad thing) :lol:
shellsong
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

... or you could try answering with heavy breathing! :lol:
N/A

Unsolicited phone calls

Community Veteran

Unsolicited phone calls

Excellent. Have you tried it?
holdtight
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

Thats really good i would try it but i dont get tele calls anymore Cheesy

Have you tried it Matt how far did you get before they got fed up ?
Alecto
Grafter

Unsolicited phone calls

"Is it important to have good teeth for your job?"

Brilliant. :lol: