cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unofficial bandwidth capping during busy times

N/A

Plusnet claim only to limit your bandwidth when you have exceeded your usage allowance. I can confirm though that my P2P bandwidth goes right down during peak hours and at the weekend, despite the fact my peak time allowance has not been exceeded. Is this a result of plusnet not being able to satisfy usage demand and deliberately limiting usage during busy times on activities not deemed important?

Ian
8 REPLIES
N/A

I have the same problem. I think their service sucks big style! Evil
Pegasus56
Grafter

Re: Unofficial bandwidth capping during busy times

Plusnet claim only to limit your bandwidth when you have exceeded your usage allowance. I can confirm though that my P2P bandwidth goes right down during peak hours and at the weekend, despite the fact my peak time allowance has not been exceeded. Is this a result of plusnet not being able to satisfy usage demand and deliberately limiting usage during busy times on activities not deemed important?

Ian

Ditto! Sad

I am (supposed to be) on 2mb, at the moment My speed is: 308.7Kps, average over the last Month: 1125Kps. Cry Cry Cry

P.S.

I can't get anything Up/Down from the p2p service I pay for either!
Pegasus56
Grafter

Here are My Speed Test Results over the last week:

27-11-2006 20:06:33 427.6
26-11-2006 20:08:05 381
26-11-2006 01:50:30 1419.2
22-11-2006 01:16:47 1302
21-11-2006 23:31:25 1366.2
21-11-2006 16:54:52 472.8
20-11-2006 21:07:29 390.2
20-11-2006 06:13:49 1336

It seems to Me that if FOL was in the Newspaper Publishing Business They would have Gone Bust by Now!

I wonder If this has anything to do with the (supposed) Buy-Out Offer from BT? Evil
N/A

I have been experiencing the same problems, and when I contact FOL about this issue the response I seem to get (eventually) 'is like it or lump it' , or I get fobbed off with some lame excuse!!! FOL are obviously not interested in customer service ,all they are interested in is getting your money off you each month, and that is it.In my opinion FOL are deliberately restricting bandwidth because there systems can't cope with the amount of traffic being generated and have no intention to do anything about it whatsoever.Fortunately I am out of my 12 months and don't need to stay with FOL any longer , and if service doesn't improve I will be leaving and making sure I tell as many people as possible just how bad FOL really is!!!!!!!
Reptile

What Speed

As soon as they put restrictions on your service (when you use 66% of your allowance) you can't do anything, even watching the news streamed becomes impossible. If you want to use the service at weekends it is better to use another ISP. That is what I've been advising people, including the ones I've brought to Free-online
Pegasus56
Grafter

Well, having Usage Limits is all well & good (as long as They Log everything Correctly!).

I hav'nt gone anyway near My Usage Limit, but If they Continue to credit Me with so much 'Fantom Usage' (I.E. Broadband Phone, Online Gaming & 'Other') that I 'Don't' Use (@30% of My Total 'Stated' Usage) then I may find Limits placed on Me!:-(

As If things arn't bad enough having to put Up with a BT Dragging It's Feet in Upgrading My Exchange! Cry Cry
N/A

I've sort of wondered about that myself, your broadband usage showing you types of activity that you never actually do. I can only assume that a lot of the time they are only guessing or making generalisations based on which ports are open.
My bandwidth during peak times is about a tenth of what it is outside of these times for P2P activity. This pretty much makes those peak time usage limits pointless as my connection is physically incapable of such peak time usage now!

Ian
N/A

Broadband speed

I am on a supposed 8 mgb,after weeks of various low speeds I have just hit the pits.........110kbps........customer service tell me its something I am doing wrong.I am going to check if the local trading standards can do anything for me.I suggest that anyone in this position does the same,if we can get say 20 odd council trading standards interested then something might happen.Stan