cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT please - CGI Forum exceeding Bandwidth - Help!

N/A

Just received this from Force9
Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that the site at
cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk is
using in excess of its bandwidth limits, the account allows the transfer
of 250MB per day from the site, whereas it is currently using the
following amounts:-
Date Transfer in MB Address
1-6-2004 292.99 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
2-6-2004 483.69 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
3-6-2004 423.87 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
4-6-2004 499.42 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
5-6-2004 571.36 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
6-6-2004 283.89 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
7-6-2004 411.00 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
8-6-2004 463.07 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
9-6-2004 560.97 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
10-6-2004 618.75 cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk
Please ensure you do whatever is possible to reduce this, for example by
removing large files, and/or ones that are frequently accessed.
We will check this again in 48 hours - if the site is still exceeding
bandwidth then, we may need to temporarily archive it until you can
confirm you will bring down the bandwidth in use.
Richard Allen
Plusnet Abuse Team

Thing is it's a Forum not a Website so how can I remove large or frequently accessed files without destroying the Message Board structure?
I have radically pruned back the number of messages visible since receiving the emal and also removed a large read-only Sub-Forum but I'm really snookered what to do next?

Thing is deadline is tonight and I don;t know what to do?
In my mind there's only two ways to reduce bandwidth on a Forum such as this:-

1 - Limit Users
2 - Limit Forum Contents

I'm against the former because in my experience restricting membership not only will I be p***ing off alot of my anonymous readers but would also inevitably encourage a flood of registrations from users with no intention of ever posting, simply to be able to view the Forum.

I've done the later but whether it will be enough to reduce my bandwidth enough :?:

I'm a long-term Force9 User - still on a Bronze contract - and checked my contract but can see absolutely no mention of bandwidth limits Sad
I originally signed up to F9 Bronze because at the time they offered unlimited Webspace and my Forum is part of the Internet Treehouse, the largest online archive to any Broadcaster in the UK (we actually came in the top 6 funniest Sites in the UK in the 2001 Yell Awards).
http://www.yellgroup.com/pages/pressreleases-northernirelandsiteshortlistedinyellcomawards

Anyways medium-term I realise I need to reloacte the Forum to another Host, but researching a suitable and compatable new Host is not something I can rush.

Any ideas please before I lose my Message Board into the Cyber-ether later tonight? :?

Thanks in desperation

Andrew
14 REPLIES
N/A

The only thing I can think of is that you could upgrade to a Business Account which would give you 500MB of bandwidth a day.

If you have Webstats enabled on your account, you should be able to see the bandwidth usage for the 11th and the 12th to see if it has worked.

Your only other option may be to look for a web host, however, I would imagine it would be quite expensive to shift about 2.5GB a week over the web.
N/A

Thanks for the reply

csogilvie
Cheers for your reply

Firstly can you please confirm that my original Force9 Bronze Dialup Contract does indeed include a bandwidth limitation - I've checked and can't see it?

The only thing I can think of is that you could upgrade to a Business Account which would give you 500MB of bandwidth a day.
If I did this would I retain the unlimited Webspace that as a long-term and continuing Bronze Dialup I get and need for my Website? Is there an option to buy additional bandwidth with my existing account?

If you have Webstats enabled on your account, you should be able to see the bandwidth usage for the 11th and the 12th to see if it has worked.
I have these activated but can't see bandwidth listed only graphs and stats.showing hits, files, visitors, urls etc. Can you please talk me through how to get bandwidth displayed for individual days please?

Your only other option may be to look for a web host, however, I would imagine it would be quite expensive to shift about 2.5GB a week over the web
I intend to keep my other sites on Force9 and retain my Dialup account whilst moving this larger Board to another Host asap. However, given that researching a suitable new Host and moving itself takes time, as a long-term Customer (since 1999), as a gesture of goodwill can Force9 give me a stay of execution until say July 1st? I promise to trim my Forum down to a bare minimum in an effort to reduce bandwidth in the meantime?
N/A

Re: Thanks for the reply

Firstly can you please confirm that my original Force9 Bronze Dialup Contract does indeed include a bandwidth limitation - I've checked and can't see it?
No, because I don't work for Force9. You'd need to phone or raise a Contact Us Ticket.
If I did this would I retain the unlimited Webspace that as a long-term and continuing Bronze Dialup I get and need for my Website? Is there an option to buy additional bandwidth with my existing account?
See above, sorry. I don't think you can buy aditional bandwidth.
I have these activated but can't see bandwidth listed only graphs and stats.showing hits, files, visitors, urls etc. Can you please talk me through how to get bandwidth displayed for individual days please?

Click Webstats.
Click cgi.dannybaker.force9.co.uk link
Type in your portal username nad password
click Jun 2004
Somewhere on there, I suspect there is a table with the details. However, I only have a Free Account on Force9 (PlusNet user) so I can't say if this appears or not.

I intend to keep my other sites on Force9 and retain my Dialup account whilst moving this larger Board to another Host asap. However, given that researching a suitable new Host and moving itself takes time, as a long-term Customer (since 1999), as a gesture of goodwill can Force9 give me a stay of execution until say July 1st? I promise to trim my Forum down to a bare minimum in an effort to reduce bandwidth in the meantime?

I would imagine you would need to, again, raise a link:Contact Us ticket or contact uspport by phone.
N/A

Many thanks

Andrew
N/A

If you haven't done so already, definitely speak to customer support to find out what options you have.

If you can't see any bandwidth restrictions for the account you currently have, then I suggest you ask Force9 to indicate to you where this restriction is stipulated. If they can't show where it is, then it's not a part of the contract between you and Force9, and is not a restriction that can be enforced by them. [The bad news, of course, is that just as you have the right to withdraw your custom, they have the right to withdraw service (after appropriate notice), so even if there's no such clause, they could exercise that option, even though by doing so they would lose your custom.]

If you're tempted to "upgrade" your account to one of the present offerings, you should defintely "look before you leap". Some of the old accounts had generous features which are no longer provided, and you may eventually rue the day you leaped. See, for example, the Webspace topic with the promise of "FREE unlimited webspace".
N/A

not sure how much bandwidth I am allowed? wondered this for a while really as to what restrictions i have? I am currently on a 2MB Home connection presume this has the 250MB per day bandwidth, or less? or more no idea. But not sure if this is stated anywhere, so i could read up on this more perhaps.
N/A

The figures are shown on the Webspace FAQ page.
N/A

thanks Smiley but it is not a webspace issue from that i know i have 250MB of webspace avaliable overall and it does say this in the website settings. What i was wondering is what by bandwidth limitations are with force9 just as i was thinking of hosting a forum although i know it is is possible no problem at all just that if the forum were to get busier rather than it suddently all close down i can keep an eye on things and if it starts reaching limits close things down or move it to somewhere else eventually, but just wondered as far as i can make out mine is 250MB per day bandwidth? but if has decresed or increased or still the same not sure if anyone could state this. Hope this is no trouble the service from force9 has been fantastic and still is! just would really like to know my boundaries as far as webspace BANDWIDTH goes cheers force9.
N/A

It tells you on the page that Task posted... in fact right below where he linked to.

Help & Support: Customer Support
Help & Support > Customer Support > FAQ > Webspace FAQ

Webspace FAQ

1. I am trying to upload to my web site but I keep getting refused, I know the username and password is correct and I am trying to upload to ftp.force9.net
2. How much webspace can I actually use?
3. I have recently made a web site and uploaded it, but the main page wont show? All I can see are the files and folders.
4. I have made a website and uploaded it without any problems, but when I look at it through my browser some of the images and links don't work?
5. I have uploaded a newer version of my website, but it looks the same when I visit it?
6. Can I use Active Server Pages on my webspace?
7. I have had my account closed/website removed due to excessive bandwidth, what do I need to do?
8. Why can't I connect to some FTP servers?
9. When I am using FTP, what does permission denied mean?
10. How do I password protect folders in my webspace?
11. Can I have mp3 files on my website?
12. Can I stream live or real audio from my website?
13. When I am using FTP, what does permission denied mean?
14. I am using FrontPage Express 2000 but whenever I try to publish my page it keeps giving me the same error?
15. My website has disappeared, has it been deleted?

1. I am trying to upload to my web site but I keep getting refused, I know the username and password is correct and I am trying to upload to ftp.force9.net
If you have a free account with us, for security reasons we do require that you dial in using Force9
If your account is a paid account you can dial in from wherever you like to access the ftp server.
[TOP]

2.How much webspace can I actually use?
This depends on your account type as shown below:

Available Webspace (Residential)Residential accounts - Webspace / Daily Traffic
Pay As You Go 25MB / 100MB
Lite 250MB / 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 250MB / 250MB
ADSL Home Surf 25MB / 250MB
Broadband 250MB / 250MB

Business accounts - Webspace / Daily Traffic
Business Free 50MB / 105MB
Netstart (dialup) 500MB / 500MB
Netstart (adsl) 250MB / 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 500MB / 500MB
ADSL Biz Surf 50MB / 150MB
Broadband 500MB / 500MB
N/A

It tells you on the page that Task posted... in fact right below where he linked to.

2.How much webspace can I actually use?
This depends on your account type as shown below:

Available Webspace (Residential)Residential accounts - Webspace / Daily Traffic
Pay As You Go 25MB / 100MB
Lite 250MB / 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 250MB / 250MB
ADSL Home Surf 25MB / 250MB
Broadband 250MB / 250MB

Business accounts - Webspace / Daily Traffic
Business Free 50MB / 105MB
Netstart (dialup) 500MB / 500MB
Netstart (adsl) 250MB / 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 500MB / 500MB
ADSL Biz Surf 50MB / 150MB
Broadband 500MB / 500MB
N/A

I am on a 2MB home account i think and have 250MB of webspace just the bandwidth there is a home on there but say i should only have 25MB of webspace... so not quite sure which one i come under.
N/A

Broaband Home has 250MB
Broaband Home Surf, not able to be used by new subscribers, has 25MB
N/A

i see and bandwidth is equal to the webspace as far as i can see, thank you for clearing this issue up Smiley just wondered that is all not got to that amount yet though which is good so all is ok at the moment, i keep an eye on my bandwidth but as it is only the day before the stats i can only know how things are from the day before but i keep an eye on it make sure it is not getting too much etc... Smiley
N/A

I wonder how PlusNet monitor the bandwidth used per user?

Webstats are NOT an accurate way to monitor used bandwidth as they dont take into account files partially downloaded then stopped. I noticed this issue on a full hosting account I have which thankfully I know the administrator so we worked out the bandwidth another way as none of the supplied scripts working it out properly.
Things like webalizer can be so badly wrong that they say you have used twice as much as you really have, it did for me as we then checked the stats directly from the switch the server is connected to and it was MUCH less used.

So if you are using too much bandwidth id certainly ask how they are monitoring it as they could be wrong. Of course they could say "we monitor it this way so tough if its wrong" but its worth a try.