cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two computers using adsl moden

N/A

:?:

Ok well i have a computer using my adsl connection. But my daughter wants to use this connection aswell on her pc in her room. How do i connect the 2 pc's to use the moden at the same time ? And does it affect the perfomance of my connection ?

Thanks in advance
Russell
2 REPLIES
N/A

You need to network the two computers, which you can do either wirelessly (typically IEEE 802.11b or the more recent IEEE 802.11g protocols) or by wired connection (typically Ethernet [these days defined by IEEE 802.3]).

The cheapest way is to install an Ethernet adaptor in each PC and connect these with a suitable length of "cat 5" cable -- a "crossover" cable will be required to connect two PCs. Then -- if it supports it -- use "Internet Connection Sharing" (ICS) on the computer with the ADSL modem. Search for "Internet Connection Sharing" in your PC's Help and Support to ensure ICS is supported.

A better, but more expensive way (which does not depend on ICS) is to buy an ADSL router and use that instead of your ADSL modem. Both computers connect to the ADSL router, again either by wired and/or wireless connection (you may need a separate wireless access point for this), and the router provides access to the Internet. The advantage of the router is that neither computer is dependent on the other one for provision of Internet service; the router can be left powered up and the Internet connection is available immediately.

Sharing the connection will not reduce the performance of the connection, although it does mean, of course, the available bandwidth is split between the two computers and there may be times when they are competing for it.
N/A

cheers

Smiley

briliant thanks very much gives me some confidence in dealing with this technical nightmare.

Thanks alot

Russell